October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Monday, February 14, 2011

Bishop– Part 4 (last one, I promise!)

Welcome Connie and Tracy http://gypsygmas.blogspot.com/  and
Kelly and Al (Stargeezer) http://thebayfieldbunch.com/   anyone else who happens by.

The promise to not post anymore about Bishop is only good for the next few months!  Next time we go back, I probably won’t be able to help myself.  We will be in the RV by that time and I will have a whole new perspective on where to stay and what to do.

The quickest way to actually get into the Sierras from Bishop is to take Hwy 168 (Line St.) east into the mountains. This Hwy. is a moderately steep climb, but most RVs should make it with no problem.  In just a few miles you begin to climb and soon you can look down on the Owens Valley.  It’s clear from this vantage point, how Bishop lies in the heart of the Owens Valley, with the White Mountains to the east and the Sierras to the west. 
 P1000375P1000398
These photos were taken at different times – notice the difference in the snow on the far mountains.


There are lots of little side roads and places to stop and take pictures.  One of the easiest campgrounds to get to is Lower Intake 2.  This is a reservoir created by a dam on Bishop Creek.  It is a popular fishing and camping area in the summer.  All of this area is part of the Inyo National Forest.
P1000367

The views from this area are outstanding and the mountains extremely rugged.  Can you imagine trying to access this area before modern roads and vehicles?  Might work if you are a mountain goat.
P1000330

P1000336

We were there in early October 2007 and hoped to get some fall foliage shots.  However, I think we were about a week too late.
P1000339
P1000368
P1000344


The night before we took this drive, there was an early snowstorm and it was COLD!  I think the snow caught some people unawares.  I was glad we were just visiting for the day and NOT trying to camp in a tent.
P1000348P1000347

Just a little bit too chilly for comfort.  This was at Bishop Creek Campground, a little higher up than Intake 2. 
P1000338
We had wanted to go clear to the end of the Hwy and see Lake Sabrina.  Although the road was not closed, we didn’t have chains and the slipping and sliding caused us to turn back.  We tried again to see Lake Sabrina in March 2009 and this time, although the road appeared fairly clear, the gate was firmly locked.  They were serious about this gate locking.  I counted SEVEN locks on that gate.
april 14 bishop 016april 14 bishop 006
There’s Russ…pushing the envelope again.  Look Ma, no constraints!



With no hope of going farther, we decided to play in the snow a bit.  We always travel with a padded garden kneeler which we use when we want to kneel down for low angle shots.  But Russ had other ideas.
april 14 bishop 013april 14 bishop 011
The road bank was quite steep so Russ decided to put our kneeler to good use. 


After “posing” for the above picture, Russ decides he REALLY can do this.  This is the result.  Pardon my giggles.  I was trying so hard not to laugh that I was just squeaking!!  The funniest part is when he tries to get up at the end of his ride.  Look Ma, no brains!

On the way back down the mountain we stopped to take pictures of an old redwood water pipe.  This 54” flow line was first built in 1908, rebuilt in the early fifties, and was finally replaced with steel pipe in 1991.  This section has been preserved as as historical item.
P1000378
P1000374

Where does all this water go?  Los Angeles!  In the early 1900’s, William Mulholland purchased hundreds of acres of the Owens Valley for pennies.  This was done for the Los Angeles Water and Power company.  Mulholland had the foresight to realize that Los Angeles was going to need water someday.  All that water going into the California Aqueduct System, gets its start right here in the Inyo National Forest. 

This answers the question of why the beautiful city of Bishop has only about 3500 residents.  There is no where to live!  What homes are for sale are fairly pricey and rental properties are hard to come by.  There is virtually  no land available for new buildings. Bishop is also becoming more arid and its greenery is shrinking as water is siphoned off and sent to Los Angeles.

Now, there are two sides to this coin.  On the one hand, the native Paiute and other tribes, as well as early settlers, gave up much of their land for a very small price.  That can never be regained.  There are still Reservations in the area and they are, for the most part, impoverished, or nearly so.  On the other hand, if the City of Los Angeles did NOT own all the open land, Bishop would likely be much, much different.  With its natural beauty and recreational opportunities, Bishop would likely be a sprawling resort town, with high rise condos and eight lane freeways.  As it is, it remains one of the most beautiful and quaint little towns in America with none of the hustle and bustle of big resort cities.  So, although many Bishop citizens resent Los Angeles, the big city does in a way, protect the uniqueness of the area.  Who is right and who is wrong in this relationship?  I don’t know.  I will leave that to those more politically astute than I am.  As for me, I will just continue to enjoy and love Bishop.

6 comments:

  1. As the scarecrow said to Dorothy, "I wish I had a brain!" Life is fun when I'm with you, Donna.
    Happy Valentine's Day to the one who always talks me into doing things, then can't help but laugh at the result. It's fun to travel together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys do have fun! Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great snow pics and the history lesson as well. Now I think I know the origin of Mulholland Drive in Los Angeles. Has to be the same guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Russ, you had better watch out when Donna has a camera in her hand! I'm so glad that we all got to enjoy your antics in the snow. Thanks for the information about the water situation. There's a lot of resentment all over California about that same kind of water situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Carol - You should see what happened when I told him to shake the tree so snow would fall on him - He DID IT!! @Rick - you are correct, same guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pics & a great history lesson as well. Russ is very brave -- it's too hard to get up once I get down...I would prob roll & break my neck!LOL You make us want to travel to the West Coast -- maybe one of these days.

    ReplyDelete