October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Windows 7 - Literati - HELP!!!

Hello Karen, Welcome aboard.  http://naturelover-karen.blogspot.com/  And thanks to all who commented on my veggie post - guess I'm gonna have to try the eggplant!!

If you read Kate http://cholulared.blogspot.com/ you know she has been talking about an eReader that downloads library books.  We went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and were told they were all sold.  Russ finally found one by returning to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and asking for an Illuminati!!  I guess it's all in the way you ask...  This is a great eReader for under $40.  Thanks Kate!

I got it set up last night and downloaded some library books to my desk top.  They were listed on the library site as ePub files.  Those files come through as .acsm files and, following the directions from the library, I downloaded Adobe Digital with which to read those files.  Carol K, did you use this same procedure?  After numerous updates to the Literati, it finally showed the correct software version to download library books.

Next instruction from the library was to open my control panel and associate those files with Adobe Digital Editions so the computer would use that program to open those files.  In the entire list of file types, I can find no .acsm files so I cannot associate them with Adobe Digital Editions.  So I went at it the other way...attempted to open the file, got the error message about Windows not recognizing the file type.  I manually browsed programs, found the Adobe Digital and told the computer to always open that file type with that program.  Now the Adobe Digital Editions program opens but I get an error saying "E_ADEPT_10 error getting license".  Any ideas anyone?  I downloaded the program from the Adobe site (it's a free program) so don't know what I am missing.  I purchased a book online from Kobo and that worked just fine so don't think it's a problem with the reader.  Oh yes, first thing I tried was re-booting the desk top to make sure any changes had been incorporated.

Sorry for this crazy post but just wondered if anyone out there can help.  Thanks all.

8 comments:

  1. I'll have Dave comment also because he is the computer whiz. What I would do first is make sure your Adobe Digital Reader (free) is downloading the library books correctly and that you can read the books on your computer. Once you can do that, then you can try to transfer them to the Literati. The way I transferred them to my Nook was to connect the Nook to the computer, wait for it the be recognized by Adobe Digital Reader (on the left hand side of Adobe's screen) and then drag each book onto the Nook. To return a library book, click on the little arrow at the top left of each book (on the Adobe screen) and then click "Return to Library". Then I have to delete the book from the Nook when the Nook is connected to the computer and the Adobe program is running. It took me a while to be comfortable doing all this. I had been playing with Adobe Digital Reader for a while before I got my Nook, so I was familiar with how it worked. Sorry I can't help you with the Literati. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol...the library books do show up in My Digital Editions folder under My Documents but I cannot open them on my desktop. I haven't even tried to transfer them to my eReader yet. The purchased books open on my Literati, but just can't seem to get ADE to work correctly. I uninstalled and reinstalled this morning - same result. Went to Adobe site for help and it seems to be a known issue with no real resolution - many different answers. Would appreciate Dave's input too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you got a message about licensing issues makes me wonder if you registered your ADE with Adobe? Also, when you downloaded the files on your PC, did you choose save or open. If you chose save, choose open instead. That should bring up ADE for you and give you the book in your PCs version of ADE.

    I am not familiar with the Literati. Does it have a web browswer capability? If so, I can show you another way to do this.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Dave, I chose SAVE. I will try OPEN and see how that works.

    Yes, the Literati does have WiFi but it is very slow and cumbersome to work with - itty, bitty keypad, different screen for symbols, etc. I'll try the open thingy first and see how that goes. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dave. I chose OPEN and that worked on the desk top. Going to work on the eReader part now. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, you might also contact Darrell of Wandering America (http://wanderingamericawithdandj.blogspot.com/) he uses the library books alot for his reading. Actually has a post today on his site about how to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Cyndi, I'll check it out. This is why I love blog buddies...you guys are all great. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna,

    I've been off the computer for a couple of days, so I just saw this. Unfortunately, I can't help you since I'm on a Mac and don't do Windows, but it sounds like you're getting excellent advice.

    Kate
    http://cholulared.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete