First I wanted to thank everyone for their positive comments on my post yesterday. The post was from my heart and I appreciated your feed-back...and so did my son! I hope you get a chance to drop by his blog from time to time.
So, as for us old folks, we are AHEAD of schedule. Can you imagine that. When we checked on getting a rental car for our trip to California, we found out it was less expensive to rent for an entire week than to rent by the day. That being the case, we opted for the weekly rental and picked up the car today. I also had plenty rewards points left so got another free hotel night. Why not? We're retired and don't have a schedule...isn't this the way it is supposed to be? The doggies of course begged us not to go but hopefully, this will be the last trip that they cannot go with us. We told them all about the motor home and they are as excited as we are!! The cat couldn't care less.
We won't get to pick up the motor home any earlier but maybe we can sneak in a side trip to Knotts Berry Farm or just a drive to the beach. I'm sure we'll figure out something.
Now I have another one of those "from the heart" posts to make. It's kinda '"sermony" so it's okay if you want to tune out if you don't like that kind of thing. I just need to document this for myself, so I don't forget.
I truly understand the angst Al (Bayfield Bunch) is going through regarding his ranch decision. I have agonized over this decision to purchase a motor home. I start to feel good about it and then I am hit with doubts again. Am I doing the right thing? Will my kids need me when I'm traveling? Should I really spend all this money on just US? What if we get sick? What about the price of gas? What do we do with the house? And the biggie, Do I really deserve this kind of dream?
A few days ago I was pouring my heart out to Russ. I think I can recall every time I yelled at the kids, every time I disciplined them too harshly, every wrong decision we made. I can remember all the wrong things I have done in my life and all the hurts and slights I have visited on others. Surely God is waiting somewhere with a big hammer ready to bop me on the head when I least expect it. Surely I should stay home, help my kids, save for my old age, and on and on. Surely I don't deserve to do something just because I want to!
Usually I talk to my sisters when I get like this, but this time I only talked to Russ. And so I was surprised at the email I found in my inbox the next morning. It was from my sister, Sharon, but I really think she was just the messenger. She said she had a scripture for me: Ecclesiastes 5:19-20 (NLT). I took that scripture and made a print and framed it. It is going in the motor home. Here is what it said:
I think I need to read "The Shack" again and be reminded that God is not sitting "up there" waiting to hit me with a hammer for all my mistakes of the past. That's all taken care of. We are not "wealthy" in any monetary sense of the word. But we are richly blessed that we have been able to work and save and put this deal together. I don't know what my future holds. I don't know what is around the next bend in the road or what adventure awaits. But I know that I am thankful that, for whatever reason, I have been freed to experience this journey. Where it will lead is a big unknown, but I know there is a Plan.

I understand your thoughts completely... I think we all go through the same agonizing questions... We decided to go full time 7 years ago and have never regretted it. Our kids accepted it and when they truly need us we go home... Of course we usually spend the holidays at a park in our home town so we can be there during the holidays. We are from Florida so it is easy to go home... LOL We worked hard in life providing for our children and now we are living our dream... They undertand! We are vagabonds... our home is on wheels and we love it!!!
ReplyDeleteHave fun & travel safe
Donna
Yes! Donna, you nailed it! I, also, have had those negative thoughts about how we could possibly deserve to lead this lifestyle when so many around us are full of suffering. The verses that you quoted are helpful to me. Enjoy your dream, and us it wisely, but guilt-free!
ReplyDeleteOH MY WORD, you do not know how this post touched me. We have been sitting at our daughter's since December and all the same thoughts you have been experiencing I have been asking myself -- AGAIN. I went to bed last night thinking about the stupid gas prices, the medical bills we have encountered lately -- asking myself -- AGAIN -- are we doing the right thing, do we need to find jobs, etc. Now I am up and reading this great post -- and you are sooo right. We are truly blessed, but sometimes it's difficult to see those blessings when they are obscured with the happenings of our daily life. Thanks for sharing this post and the Bible verse your sister sent your way. I've been thinking about re-reading The Shack -- maybe I'll get it out, dust it off and do just that! Can't wait to read about your adventures in your new home. Have a blessed day and let's get out there and enjoy this life God has given us. Marilyn
ReplyDeleteWe went through a lot of the same "do I really deserve to do this?" feelings (and still do). I think it also has a lot to do with the way society grooms us. Sometimes it's hard to go against the norm and feel that you're not just being totally selfish. All of my friends are still working the daily grind, trapped under a pile of debt and belongings...who gives me the right to think I can chuck all that aside and go my own way? I'll tell you who...Me! We're only on this earth a short time, some of us shorter than others. None of us knows how long that will be, so we better learn to enjoy it now. I've heard way too many stories of folks who have waited until that perfect time to follow their dream and either die before they reach that day or shortly thereafter. For those that have had the courage to follow their dream, I've never heard of one who has regretted it. Have faith and follow your heart!
ReplyDeleteDitto to the comments already posted and to what you said in your blog. I agonize over all of the same questions every day! It seems I lay in bed at night and wonder what has possessed me to think I could do this,and then the next morning the first thing I think of is what can I do today to move forward on my dream!
ReplyDeleteWe can only do things one day at a time. Reach for your dreams!
Wow, what a great scripture. God is so loving and His wisdom is soooo far beyond ours that it's hard for us to even begin to comprehend His goodness.
ReplyDeletePraise the Lord and thanks for sharing your soul searching.
My fiance lost his wife suddenly five years ago after 38 years of marriage. When we found each other a couple of years ago, he decided that life was too short to sit home and miss living life. The kids fussed a bit, but they are so busy with their own lives that they have gotten used to us traveling. With Skype and cell phones and Internet, we are in touch with them more than when we lived in the same area! I have a storage shed full of "stuff" I thought I had to keep. I'll bet in another two years, I end up giving it away. You don't need possessions to be happy. You just need your best friend to be your traveling partner. If gas goes way up, we'll just stay in one spot longer! Go see our grand, beautiful country! This lifestyle is wonderful, and the people you meet are terrific!
ReplyDelete