October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Our Son, the Trucker!

Today's post is not about RVing but it is about a journey...one our oldest son has been on for almost a year now.  I suppose, after all, a blog is about what is important to the author and today, this is what is important to me.  When we get that motor home next Thursday, then maybe I can get some RV posts going!!

Last summer John lost his job.  He had been working at the Federal Reserve Bank in down town Portland, Oregon for the last seven years.  His work consisted of resolving errors in cash letters and finding lost or mis-encoded items and resolving those issues.  With the increased use of debit cards, the number of actual paper checks being processed has become fewer and fewer.  Eventually, the entire department was closed and the operation consolidated with another branch.  Life happens and my son was out of a job.

John is quite an accomplished photographer and so he bought a photo studio.  However, the economy today is not one that finds individuals spending a lot of money on professional photography.  Besides, with the advent of digital cameras and Photo Shop,  everyone's a photographer!!  It was not long before it was apparent that was not going to work out.

Now John could have become discouraged at the loss of his dream.  He could have been despondent over the loss of capital that he had invested in the studio.  But instead, he cut his losses, bought his way out of the lease rather than just walk away from it, and moved on.  He has a family to support and he could not continue to pursue his dream to the detriment of his family.

Other than John's military service, most of his career has been in banking in one position or another.  But he has always liked driving and he has always liked trucks.  I was a little surprised when he decided to go to truck driving school and become a trucker but it kinda makes sense.  Quite a change from what he has been doing for many years.  What I am most proud of though, is John's positive attitude and his "can do" spirit.   He found an industry that is actually hiring new workers and he went for it. 

John has started writing a blog on a semi-regular basis.  Although it is not about RVing, it is about going down the highway and being positive about life.  I'm sure as he gets into longer trips, he will have stories of all the places he visits.  I wanted to invite you to stop by his blog and have a look.  This is a link to one of my favorite posts of his (although he has others)  http://redphotog.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-hat-came-off-and-light-bulb-went-on.html  Hope you enjoy it.  He had a pretty good post today too...and yes, I AM prejudiced!

8 comments:

  1. John takes after his Mom in a lot of ways! She's a very good driver, too. She can hardly wait to get behind the wheel of that new motor home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son sounds like someone who tries to do something about what life doles out rather than one of those who waits around for someone else to fix what's broken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Donna & Russ for stopping by and visiting me... I have joined your followers list and added you to my favorites. Good for your son getting out there and doing something about his situation. I know so many who sit and just complain but do nothing!
    Have fun & travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's awesome your son is stepping outside his comfort zone and doing something totally different. At least he's not sitting home, drawing unemployment and saying "woe is me." He will be an inspiration to many. God bless him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to John for his "can do" attitude and for landing on his feet. It's scary to start a whole new career, but it sounds like he found something that he will enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for your son! I believe the most important factor in success is a positive attitude. Although I'm sure his primary motivation is to support his family, who knows where this adventure will take him and what new paths he might be introduced to. It's a big world out there and there might just be something amazing waiting for him. I wish him all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a lot to be proud of there. Hope he does great with his truck driving.

    ReplyDelete