So why did we eat out when we had just picked up our new motor home? We had our rental car so packed for the trip to the factory that we didn’t have room for everything we needed. We have nothing to cook with and no utensils other than plastic forks and paper plates. We figured we could get by on cold cereal, sandwiches, and frozen entrees for a few days. However, if I had it to do over again, I would have found a place for those kitchen items.
So we needed a good hot meal. Thursday night we were tired and hungry and Friday morning we were COLD and hungry. We awoke to temps in the low 40s on Friday morning and when I tried to start the furnace it blew only cold air. Russ tried it several times and NOTHING but cold air. We were able to light a burner on the stove and we ran the heat pump, but we were very disappointed and grumpy after we could not get the furnace to work.
We finally called the factory and they said to bring it back. So back to Montclair – not the direction we had wanted to take. We arrived at the factory and Vince told us he would take a look. He wasn’t gone very long before he came back into the office. “Come here Russ,” he said, “I want to show you something.”
Seems Russ had turned the propane off instead of on but had it not shut off all the way. Enough gas was getting through to light the one burner on the stove but not enough to run the furnace. OOOPS!! This is NOT our first RV but I guess we have forgotten to check the obvious. Oh well, that little side trip changed our plans and we went north on Hwy.101 instead of I-5 and I think it was the best plan. It was a beautiful drive most of the way. We ran into some light rain and snow showers just south of Paso Robles but it wasn’t bad at all. Tomorrow we get to meet Kate and Terry from Cholula Red so it should be a fun day.
Here’s some photos from Peggy Sue’s. Yes, it’s campy and a tourist trap but fun all the same. If you are a boomer, you will enjoy seeing all the memorabilia. I have never seen such a vast collection. This is just a sample.
Gosh, by the time we have a rig of our own I will be an expert on what to check up on! Is the propane all the way on or off? Probably better than if the furnace was broken
ReplyDeleteThere is definitely a learning curve when it comes to RVs. Human error may be a bit embarrassing, but much better than have to send the furnace back for factory repair. Have a great visit with Kate and Terry!
ReplyDeleteooops ... we all have a story about something obvious we've overlooked ... yours came early :-))))
ReplyDeleteLike the others have said, we've all had our oops experience with RV'ing. My favourite trick is not opening the valve on the 2nd propane tank for the auto-switchover. Now, that's the first thing I do when I fill up one of the tanks.
ReplyDeletePeggy Sue's diner sounds like my kind of place!
Why is there no recommendation for the KOA? We stay in very few of them btw. Usually way over priced and run down. My frugal side could stand the run-down, but not the over priced part. :)
ReplyDeletePidge...this KOA was overpriced...site was lumpy and uneven...and the free wifi??? Couldn't even get a weak signal...no signal at all! We were so tired after our long day that I didn't bother to complain...wouldn't have done any good any way! KOA is not our first choice either but wanted hook-ups for the first night out.
ReplyDeleteWe all have had our zany 'ooooops' moments. No matter if first time out or years on the road. Ooops's are all part of RVing & sometimes is the best way for us to learn things. Seems the harder the ooops, the better we seem to learn. Tough way to do it sometimes but after all, we're not exactly young & upcoming rocket scientist's out here anymore are we......
ReplyDeleteWelcome to internet on the road. It's a lot less painful watching paint dry than to watch your computer try to catch a signal.
ReplyDeleteThe good news is it gives you more time to snuggle with your hunny buns :) LOL!