October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Veggin' Out

Welcome to Rick and Paulette and their two fur babies!  http://rickpaulettervjournal.blogspot.com/

I wasn't going to blog this week as it seems I have so much left to do to get ready for our trip.  However, I got a recipe from Laurie's blog and I wanted to try it out  http://laurieandodel.blogspot.com/   and so I did and I wanted to share it with you all.  Scroll down on the left hand side of her page and you'll find a column with recipes listed.  Might be some others you'll want to try. 

Now, I have to admit, I am not a veggie lover.  I grew up with meat and potatoes and meat and potatoes are what I like!  But, wanting to live a few more years, I have recognized that I need to expand (or maybe shrink - depending on how you look at it) my horizons.  I know that part of this process is to learn that the four major food groups are not meat, potatoes, fresh bread, and ice cream. 

And so I have set upon a quest to learn to like vegetables.  The newest ones I have learned that I actually enjoy are beets, spinach (cooked and raw), turnips (in stew!), bok choy, and, thanks to Laurie; Brussels Sprouts!!  Now, as Laurie said, don't turn up your nose until you have tried it.  Her recipe https://docs.google.com/document/d/10YNSaI3nrNfpr24oZMt4MPa588di5e9FToyjMaSJlT8/edit?hl=en&authkey=CJW40r8B# not only DIDN'T make me gag, it was absolutely YUMMY!!  Here's what it looked like (before cooking):



It even smelled pretty good while it was cooking, dispelling all my fears of stinky itty bitty cabbages.  This dish was quick, easy, inexpensive, good for you, and delicious.  What's not to love?  But I'm still NOT convinced that eggplant is actually a vegetable...

10 comments:

  1. It was yummy. In fact, the "after" picture would be the empty dish. All gone, yup, and I ate the last of it. The steak was good, too, but Donna didn't say anything about that, did she! We didn't have any potatoes, though. Didn't have any fresh bread, didn't have any ice cream. Wow, she really is getting into this veggie thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try that recipe. We have a major non-veggie eater in our family (not me!) so it's a challenge to get the dishes tasted let alone eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always felt that egg plant was a much better vegetable than brussel sprouts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Judy on the eggplant thing ... like it way better than brussels sprouts (the key is to get the small Chinese or European varieties with very few seeds). I recently had a smashed brussels sprouts dish that was good, so I guess I should have hubby make Laurie's recipe and see what I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to chime in on this -- we LOVE meat, potato, fresh bread & ice cream. HOWEVER, we also know that's prob not the best way to eat. We have a friend who is vegetarian, so we purchased the book "Veganist" after seeing the author on Oprah. We are completing our first week of NO MEAT -- we haven't really missed it -- YET:) I will definitely check out the recipes, but I know nothing about brussels sprouts or egg plant -- is egg plant made from eggs? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everybody should try tofu! I can't get Donna to eat it, but I like it. I'm not very original when I eat it, just cut it up in cubes and dip it in salsa. That works for me. But....so does putting ketchup on pancakes, and peanut butter on waffles. Donna says some things are just better left alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you're going to throw a steak into the mix, I could definitely go for that veggie dish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The steak was the reward for eating the veggies!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also saw that recipe and tried it. It was wonderful! Hey Eggplant is great dipped in Vigo Bread (other bread crumbs are not as good) Crumbs and lightly friend with Olive oil!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess I'm gonna have to try the eggplant!

    ReplyDelete