October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bishop, CA, part 2

Okay, I admit it, I'm obsessed with Bishop.  Whenever I need to go to my "Happy Place" I choose memories of Bishop.  It's been longer than I anticipated for my follow-up to my first post of Bishop.  If you missed it click here http://therapytravels.blogspot.com/2011/01/memories-of-bishop.html to view.  Today's blog is all about the town of Bishop.  Later, we'll travel to some of the close by scenic areas.  Tomorrow, I'll take you to the Laws Railroad museum that is located just a few miles NE of Bishop.

We didn't know about this festival back in 1978

Russ and I haven't camped in the Bishop area, unless you count the night we spent in a parking lot when the kids were little.  We were making a family trip to Disneyland and were going to spend a couple of nights camping in Bishop on the way down.  We were driving a Suburban and pulling a 20' Prowler travel trailer.  What we didn't anticipate was Mule Days, Bishop's Memorial Day celebration and rodeo.  There was absolutely NO WHERE to camp so we parked in the grocery store parking lot, spent a fitful and noisy night and left early the next morning.

Since then we have only been to Bishop in passenger vehicles.  Our favorite place to stay in Bishop is the Creekside Inn.  Although it is right in the middle of town, you can sit creekside and feel like you are camping.  This hotel is reasonably priced although the creekside rooms are a bit on the pricey side.  They serve a great breakfast (included) and the lobby is gorgeous, decorated with Galen Rowell prints.  Galen, along with his wife Barbara were noteworthy photographers and their gallery in Bishop is well worth visiting.  http://www.mountainlight.com/about.html  Unfortunately both Rowells were killed in a plane crash in 2002. If you are ever in Bishop without your RV, I would not hesitate to recommend the Creekside Inn.

 








Right up the street from the Creekside is the REAL reason I come to Bishop (just kidding!).  A Bishop landmark since 1907, Schat's Bakery is the home of the Original Sheepherder Bread...and it is outstanding.  I am not sure who really baked the first sheepherder bread but Schat's registered that name as a trademark in 1938.  They also have wonderful sandwiches and lots of other goodies.

Always busy but worth it!

No this is NOT the bread LOL!

 










It seems that no matter where you look in Bishop, you can see the mountains.  Bishop is a great town for walking and we do a lot of it when we are in town.  One Sunday morning we walked a few blocks to Jack's restaurant for breakfast.  It's a great local place with good food and reasonable prices.   After breakfast we walked back down Main Street (Hwy 395) and then west into the more residential area.  We heard some wonderful singing and stopped outside this little church and just listened. I admit, I couldn't keep from singing along just a bit!! 

Russ and Donna at Jack's


Bishop has some great murals depicting the history of the town painted on the walls of public buildings.  Here are just a few: 

The beauty that surrounds Bishop, in my mind, is some of the best in the world.  The town is small and part of that is because of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.  That's a story for another blog but be aware that the DWP is not held in high regard in Bishop.  One Bishop City councilman recently described the relationship as "LA's imperial foot on our colonial necks."  Much of the rural land surrounding Bishop is DWP land, yet that does nothing to diminish its beauty.  I hope you've enjoyed this quick tour of Bishop.  I guess I am a little over-the-top about the place, but if you are ever on US HWY 395, take a few days to explore the Owens Valley and perhaps then you will share my passion.

At the north end of Bishop looking
towards the High Sierras.  I believe
that is Mt. Tom on the right.


Rural Bishop, just a few blocks from town
Rural Bishop




6 comments:

  1. Well, I've been through the town of Bishop, but methinks I had better take a closer look the next time I'm down that way! I remember the scenery but I don't remember much about the town. Isn't it great that California has so much variety in scenery and places to visit? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been born and raised in So. Cal., I was thoroughly sick of it for about 30 years (except for Disneyland LOL). I think I was about 21 when I moved to Oregon and I LOVE it. Then about 10 years ago, I re-discovered what is was I loved so well about the Owens Valley and some of the less populated desert areas. Yeah, California ain't so bad as long as you avoid LA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been learning so much about California from reading blogs! Someday, when we do have our own RV we shall have to explore more than the Hy 5 from San Jose to San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I hope you do Merikay. There is so much more to life than I-5!! BTW, I enjoyed your childhood stories...a great legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply beautiful.. nuff said....

    ReplyDelete