October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Monday, February 21, 2011

My Turn!

I was going to take the night off but I had such a fun day that I wanted to write about it.  Gotta keep the kids up to date somehow!!

As Russ stated in his blog, we had a good night in Coalinga but the smell was just awful.  I was glad to get out of there - live and learn!!

We didn't want to go thru LA area traffic so we took the scenic route, cutting over from I-5 to Hwy 99 on 46.  Then south on 99 to Hwy. 58, then Hwy 14 to Hwy 138, and south on 138 to I-15 then to I-10 and we are in Ontario, CA.  Now if you followed all that, guess I can't get you lost!

On Hwy. 58 we saw a sign that said "Fresh Oranges".  Had to stop.  It was a touristy farm store but it was fun.  The name of the place is Murray Family Farms and it is worth the stop.


Inside the store was an array of interesting produce.  I am not a very gourmet cook and I have to admit I don't know what this is or what it is used for but it sure was strange looking.

I found some fresh walnuts that looked too good to pass up and Russ found a jar of...
(click on photo to read label)
No, we didn't buy these.  We did buy the walnuts, some caramel corn, some huge, yummy looking navel oranges, and a big cookie.  We ate one of the oranges for dinner tonight and it was dry and tasteless!  See, looks will only get you so far!

The grounds of the farm were spacious and we spent some time just looking around.  The weather was perfect...clear and cool.


There was a children's play area called the "Ant Farm", and the requisite cut-out photo ops.  Russ is like Shrek...very much an onion.  He has lots of layers!
The sign says "Eat Your Colors"
There was also a large petting zoo, but the charge to actually go in and get exposed first hand to E Coli bacteria was $2.00 and we were feeling cheap so we just walked around outside and took pictures through the wire.  One enclosure held many beautiful peacocks, but I couldn't get a very good photo because of the danged wire.

This enclosure also had chickens and some other small fowl.  However, if vocalizations were any indication, I would say that this lady ruled that yard with an iron fist.  While the lesser fowl were relegated to scratching around in the dirt, she made herself at home in the "pond" and directed traffic with an unmistakable air of
authority.



Although we were disappointed with the orange we ate tonight, this is a fun stop and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.  The grounds are beautiful...
 

...and there is something interesting for adults and kids alike, no matter what their ages.

Good night all!!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is so much fun to read & it makes me want to drive to the West Coast -- somewhere we have never been...maybe one of these days:)

    ReplyDelete