October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Baby, it’s COLD outside! Better eat soup!


I really can’t complain overmuch, seeing what the east coast is going through, but it was cold here today.  It’s been a fairly mild fall, especially the month of October.  Yesterday it was in the low 60s and sunny and today our thermometer here at home never got to 50!  Now I wouldn’t want to cast any dispersions on anyone, but doesn’t it seem odd that all of our warm air just seems to vanish as the southward migration begins?  Are they just dragging all the warmth with them?  Seems like too much of a coincidence to me…. I’m just sayin’

So since it was so cold out today, I decided once again on good old comfort food.  Today it was chicken and dumplings.  I had some leftover Costco roasted chicken and boy did it cook up yummy.
P1010544
Lots of chicken, carrots, celery, onions, and a little potato. 

Then the dumplings…none of those flat dumplings allowed.  Just big, fat, fluffy ones around here – and the dumplings are pretty big too!

P1010550


Russ was so anxious to dig in, he got his glasses all fogged up.

P1010554

Man, we gotta get out of here so I can write some decent blogs.  Leaving here Monday if all goes as planned and heading down the coast.  Where and when we arrive at any destination is anyone’s guess but we do have a couple of places in mind.  Until then…never put anything in your mouth that's hot enough to fog your glasses!

18 comments:

  1. I sure hope it is true that we are dragging the heat with us. So far I have not seen it. we have made it to GA, but the last two nights it was below freezing levels:(

    Maybe we need to move faster to get the warm flow south moving:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great looking chicken and dumplings :)...can't blame Russ for digging in :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm! Love a good chicken soup. Home made bread would be great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummy, bisquick dumplings? Looks like that. I love those things!!! Can I gain weight from blog food? I think I did this week
    :-9

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice looking chicken and dumplings!!..love the fogged up glasses!..I can so relate to that happening..but usually it is with the dishwasher!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicken and dumplings looks so good, great comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the advice about fogged-up glasses! Even if you don't find some good weather, I think you will have fun on your upcoming trip. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm hoping to bring the really nice fall weather we've been enjoying here in Turkey with us. The only really cold day was Monday ... temp was only 36F, but it warmed up nicely and was in the mid 60F range by the time we arrived in Izmir. Can't complain :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy! I see Russ, like Ron, is willing to ham it up for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Where and when we arrive at any destination is anyone’s guess"

    I especially like your travel ways of thinking. Good for you guys in being adventuress. And besides, with foggy food glasses, how will Russ ever know when he's arrived at a destination anyway:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those dumplings look just yummy!! :) I wish we could do some traveling too, but that's at least 6 months away. boo hiss...

    ReplyDelete
  12. "never put anything in your mouth that's hot enough to fog your glasses!" Words to live by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I'd known you were going to make those delicious looking dumplings with chicken soup, we'd still be in Eugene!! I could eat those with my eyes closed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh that chicken soup sure looks delicious. I always seem to have a problem in getting my dumplings to cook right through, they always seem a bit doughy.

    Glad to here that you are going to follow that warm air south.

    Kevin and Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that's a different kind of fog, LOL! Sure looks good!!

    By the way Donna, I got one more try against the Ducks...The Huskies are on this weekend. As for Rick hunting your ducks...he'll just have to settle for roadrunners in the desert. Cheers! ~M

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would love some of that chicken and dumpling soup, those are undoubtedly the largest dumplings I have ever seen. Russ, you are a lucky man. Like your expression to. Looking forward to hearing about your trip next week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your posts are always good - the soup and dumplings look delish! I love making leftover meals with Costco chickens. They have the best flavor! And they are so big, I'd get many meals from them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Man, we gotta get out of here so I can write some decent blogs." That cracked me up but good Donna. I can relate :)

    ReplyDelete