Short post tonight after a long day. I know…Eugene, OR to Yreka, CA doesn’t sound like much but for us it was a long drive. It’s about 220 miles. Can anyone recommend a good place to stop around Willows, CA?
It was strange and not a little unnerving to see 11 dead deer along the road from Eugene to Grants Pass. And that was just on our side of the freeway! We also saw 9 live ones and luckily none of them jumped out in front of us!
There was snow on the pass but not on the road so that was good. However the worst thing was the fog. It was so foggy at the top you could hardly see a couple of car lengths ahead. I didn’t take any pictures cuz I needed both hands to hold on with!
Once over the summit, the fog lifted and we had some colorful sky for a few minutes. Shot these out the window as we were rolling down the road.
When we get up in the morning we will check the weather and our energy levels and see where we want to end up for the night. We are both tired tonight but I’m sure a good night’s sleep tonight and a big pot of coffee in the morning will get us going in no time.
Night all…see ya in the morning.
Glad you made it through the fog ok!
ReplyDeleteThose are some pretty pictures of the mountains with that sky and clouds. Hope you find some good weather on your trip. Liked your post No Words Needed! Safe travels.
ReplyDeleteGlad there was no snow but fog is just as scary. No wonder you're exhausted. Hope you're feeling more relaxed today. Can't help you with a campground cause we've never been there. Be safe.
ReplyDeleteI could almost see God in your photos of the clouds and sun! We like to stay at the RV park in Yreka. It's a good park for an overnighter, but they can get snow and cold temperatures there.
ReplyDeleteIsn't Willows just south of Corning? Besides the RV park at Rolling Hills Casino, there are two other RV parks in Corning, one of which is a Passport America park. In Willows, you could stay at Walmart if you are so inclined. ;)
Beautiful photos! K
ReplyDeleteGlad you're okay, Donna. Driving Grants Pass under normal circumstance is no picnic but in the fog?
ReplyDeleteI ran into a rain storm once, on a highway, that was so blinding that I DID NOT know where I was on the road. Couldn't see past the hood of my truck. I didn't dare stop because I didn't know who or what was behind me though from memory I didn't think there was anyone too close to me, BUT I was headed for I75 which would have been disastrous. Fortunately it passed over quickly. When it did I was inches from going off the road.
I don't know if there is a universal rule for this type of circumstance other than flashers, but it scared the devil out of me.
As far as deer, there's an area in middle Georgia that is dangerous at dusk and dawn. Why do they leave the safety of the huge forest behind them to get killed in the road?
Beautiful photos. Travel safe and watch out for those deer!
ReplyDeleteCandy
Coincidentally, I was just talking to another RV'er this morning about the number of dead deer along the roadsides. This is the riskiest time of year for deer collisions. Best to avoid driving in darkness if at all possible. Nice sky photos.
ReplyDeleteIt is that time of year for the deer to start acting a bit nutty:) Sounds like the rut is in fill swing there. I do not like driving in the dark during the rut, you just cannot trust the deer to make careful decisions.
ReplyDeleteThe casino in Corning is nice. And if you have time the Samoa House to eat lunch or dinner is wonderful and worth the drive there.
ReplyDeleteI like your cloud photos!
ReplyDeletesleep well!!..Yreka!!..where you going?
ReplyDeleteGreat; a road trip to look forward to; thought about going away for the long weekend, but there's too much to do at home after being away for two weeks, so a virtual road trip will work nicely for us :-)))
ReplyDeleteDonna, how did the chair work out for your sleep last night?
ReplyDeleteOh, definitely don't like to drive in the fog especially when they are so many deer around. Glad you made it there safely. Those pictures make me shiver, it doesn't look too warm there.
ReplyDeleteKevin and Ruth
www.travelwithkevinandruth.com
I'd be hanging on tight too with all those deer around. Glad you didn't have a run in with one. Been loving the fog we have here but certainly don't like driving in it. Cheers! ~M
ReplyDelete