October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Poppy Dog and Why She Looks So Funny and Meeting Another Blogger


Our eldest son, John, doesn’t write often but when he does it’s because he has something to say.  He has a new post up today.  Check it out on Red’s Midlife Crisis.

I had several inquiries about the state of Poppy’s back in the last several days.  Since I did nothing more interesting than stay in bed and run to the little room today, I have nothing better to write about!!  (I know TMI, but that’s just the way of it).  I am feeling a bit better today – after four days of this I am about due.  Thanks Russ for running to the store early this morning for Gatorade.  I’ve been sipping it all day.  And thank you for the sweet get well card. 

Poppy has VERY heavy fur and a tendency towards hot spots.  The other name for hot spots is moist dermatitis.  She will get a hot spot and it will not heal properly because no air can penetrate that dense coat.  We were shaving little parts as we would find a hot spot but before it would heal another would break out.  We finally decided, back in June, to shave her entire back as that seems to be the only place she gets them. 
P1030266

Well, the hot spots have healed up nicely and the vet said we did the right thing.  He says the spots are caused by food allergies but after spending about a million dollars on special foods that she won’t eat and didn’t make any difference anyway, we gave up and feed her good old Costco canned food.  Although she protests and would rather have People food, she has not had a new hot spot since we shaved her back. 

If you have seen pictures of Poppy in her Pretty Pink Polka-dot Princess Dress, you know we had to protect her from the sun until her hair started growing back.  It is growing back –ever so SLOWLY- but it is coming in in widely scattered tufts.  The vet said that’s normal so hopefully, someday, she will look like a real dog again.  We may have to keep her clipped to alleviate the return of the hot spots but we’ll just have to wait and see.
P1030285

Oh sure, as soon as I say I have nothing to write about, Russ shows up with some pictures and news of what he has done today.  First he met fellow blogger Susan and her dog Angel this morning.  He didn’t get a picture but she did so maybe you’ll see something on her site later on.

Since I was holed up in bed most of the day, Russ made the rounds of the park and ran into some Bug Inspectors checking out this mess on the front of this fiver.  Must be time to get out The Solution!!

P1020212

Well, I guess it’s not an official inspection, just Lolita, Allen, and Rick doing a body count.
P1020213
The rest of the day, Russ lounged around outside with Poppy dog.  She made a nest under the motor home in the sand and rocks, even though we put a rug outside for her.  She seemed perfectly content.

P1020225

And so another beautiful day comes to an end here in Desert Hot Springs.  I hope I don’t miss another one!

Good Night All.

19 comments:

  1. What a shame you haven't been up to par. I hope things improve quickly. Take heart, I'll be going to the post office tomorrow so you won't lose your marbles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon! It really sucks that you are at a nice park like that, around friends & can't get out. Poor Poppy. I used to have a grooming shop & clipped down many Poppy's in my time. It really does help them! I used to put some of them in lion type of clips where I'd leave the mane & tail, but clip the rest of the body, but not down to the skin. I'm glad she's healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the explanation on Poppy. I never heard of these hot spots. Hope you are feeling better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna!
    Hope you are on the mend...we missed you at Lolita and Al's Mexican dinner!! Man it was good!! Hopefully you will be out and about...too nice to be cooped up inside!
    You take care!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you're still under the weather! :(

    I'm glad you got to meet Susan, too. I knew she was coming your way, but didn't know if she'd have time to stop.

    Poppy looks just darling sleeping under the coach. What a cutie, and I'm glad her back is healed. I love that idea from TexCyn about giving her a lion cut. That would be so cool and would solve Poppy's problem!

    Hope you have a better day tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Scooter has all kinds of skin allergies. But we found out that she can tolerate venison and loves venison dog food. We can't shave her so I also have a cream that we use on her. So I'm glad Poppy is feeling so much better. She's such a cutie.

    Now we need you to get to feeling better so you can be out there inspecting all those bugs along with everybody else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Donna I am so sorry you are still not feeling better!!..as for Poppy she looks so cute lying under the rig!!..now as for the bug inspectors?..great shot..nice to see everyone's smiling faces!!..how I wish we were there with all of you but you know that vortex is coming again...called work...dang I hate Sunday nights!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you're still under the weather ... keep resting up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear that you are sick. We never made it up to Joshua Tree because hubby's been sick for 4 days now...headache, no energy, extremely tired...CRANKY! No fun, I can assure you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear you're not up to par Donna... I hope you get well really soon. Those hot spots can really be a pain to deal with both for the dog and the doggie parents. Our dog use to get them till she got older and her hair has thinned. Feel Better my friend!
    Have fun & Travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. hope you feel better soon ...I thought that was 'hotspots' when I first saw it..we experienced them with a couple of our show golden retrievers over the years..they certainly always look worse than they are or feel..altho they are very itchy for the dog. The best fix we ever found was 'bag balm' you can usually find it at a feed store..it is used for cows 'udders'..to prevent bunching and caking..shave a small area around the hotspot and apply clears them up in no time..and its not harmful if ingested by licking..around here a can is approximately $9.00 and last forever..good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you are getting lots of good advice for Poppy's condition.

    Now, I do hope today finds you feeling much better. Can't miss out on any more of the good times there at the park.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Russ it was a really nice meeting up again. Thanks for coming over to our get together. We missed Donna's company and wished she could have been their also. You both are so much fun to be with. Hoping she is feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What is it with these food allergies? I had 2 Irish Setters that had the same thing. Grr! Looks to me like Poppy likes to play in the dirt. Hey it's all about getting back to the simpler things in life...right? She don't need no expensive dog bed or rug just a little nature will do.

    Hope you're feeling better! Cheers! ~M

    ReplyDelete
  15. Donna, I am so sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. Being sick on a trip is no fun at all. I hope you feel better really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like everyone, I hope you're feeling better very soon, and I hope Poppy gets rid of the hot spots.

    No fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you're feeling better now. Poppy looks quite fetching in her little coat anyway. It has to be better than scratching all the time!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry you haven't been feeling well. Hope you feel better soon. For Hotspots we used any brand of athletes foot spray at the first sign of a spot. Worked wonders and much cheaper that a vet visit. Poppy is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete