I had planned to write part two of our trip to Borrego Springs yesterday but I just wasn’t feeling up to writing anything. We spent most of the day driving through Joshua Tree NP and in retrospect, that was a dumb thing to do. I have been feeling puny since Wednesday night but our time here is so limited that I didn’t want to miss anything. My big old Mexican dinner that I made on Wednesday did not agree with me. My tummy is still rebelling. When my system gets discombobulated I usually end up with a migraine and this time is no exception. Then I completely forgot to take my regular meds on Friday so that further upset things. I had to miss what Russ said was a wonderful dinner at Allen and Lolita’s tonight but just did not feel well enough to do anything. Someday perhaps I will listen when my body says REST! I just hate to miss anything.
So now, just a few highlights of things we saw on eh trip back from Borrego Springs. As I mentioned last, there are many places to camp in the Anza-Borrego Desert. Most have dirt access roads and can be a bit bumpy. We found this spot just a few miles from the town of Borrego Springs. It is right off the paved road to the landfill. We did not see any traffic on this road but we were there on Thanksgiving day so maybe that would explain it. Anyway, this camping site was just a few yards off the road and was level and seemed to be easy to access. It is just big enough to accommodate 4or 5 rigs without crowding. Kate and Terry, looks like a spot we you could show us the ins and outs of boondocking!
We also saw this interesting mountain that looks like a bunch of faces. Lookout Mt. Rushmore, you have some natural competition.
Okay, so it’s not Mt. Rushmore but we thought it was cool.
On the way home we passed some date farms. I thought they looked interesting.
I read up on them when we got home and still don’t know why these had bags tied on them as it is not harvest season. I found this site interesting and then I saw that they also have a small RV park there. How cool is that? We might stay there when we go to Yuma in March.
Yesterday we visited Joshua Tree NP. We were neither on feeling up to par so most of the time was spent driving rather than hiking. We did make several stops and got a few pictures but nothing spectacular. The park was crowded (as to be expected) and we saw lots of rock climbers in full regalia. Didn't take a lot of photos, but here are just a couple.
This ocotillo looked dead but it still had blooms on it. It was huge, probably 12 feet high.
The Yucca had seen better days but it was interesting that the blooms still hung on for so long after their initial beauty had faded. I love old things – I IS one!!
The rock formations are varied and each one has a specialness all its own.
The same could be said for the Joshua Trees.
A hauntingly beautiful place that deserved more attention that what we gave it yesterday. Oh well, that’s the way it goes sometime.
Sorry I missed seeing Allen and Lolita, Kim and Don, and Rick and Paulette tonight. I’ll leave it to you guys to tell about the wonderful Mexican food I missed! Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
When we visited Joshua Tree NP several years ago, I put together a video for the family with some of the rock pictures we had. This video has a decidedly Christian bent so if that type of thing offends, please skip!! It’s just a song with rock pictures. By the way, our middle names are William and Carol – you will understand why I say this if you watch the video!!
Good Night All. (I hope. We sure have some noisy neighbors!)
Hope you are feeling better soon, thanks for the tip on the RV Park, I may decide to stop there this winter.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely hope you are feeling better. Sightseeing when you don't feel good is not fun. But I love Joshua Tree.
ReplyDeleteI hope you are feeling better soon, too. It's so hard to be feeling rotten when your're on vacation and have lots of things to do. I hope you get a good night's sleep, that will help. And take your meds!
ReplyDeleteI visited a friend in Borrego Springs once, but she had a home there. I'd like to boondock there, maybe next spring.
Hey, Donna - we missed you tonight at Allan and Lolita's! Russ was correct - the Mexican food was awesome and we had a great time.
ReplyDeleteSorry you couldn't make it but I hope you are feeling much better by tomorrow.
nothing worse than missing out on all the fun, especially when time is at a premium!!..hope you stomach issues are better tomorrow!..hang in there!!
ReplyDeletenothing worse than missing out on all the fun, especially when time is at a premium!!..hope you stomach issues are better tomorrow!..hang in there!!
ReplyDeleteSorry you weren't feeling well, but you have to take care of yourself! We'd be happy to boondock with you guys anytime!
ReplyDeleteSorry, you're feeling out of sorts; hope it passes quickly. I see the Sphinx in your Mount Rushmore wanna be rock formation.
ReplyDeleteJust one word, Donna!!!!
ReplyDelete"SNAKES"!!!
Joshua Tree NP is one of our favorite places to visit. We are NOT rock climbers but we spent hours walking around the area. Just beautiful. I love the "Mt Rushmore" rock...LOL
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better today.
Good pictures, Donna. I think I saw some of my relatives' faces in that one shot! The ocotillo is a desert survivor for sure. It will shed its leaves when there is no water available to it, to halt transpiration. However, get a little rain -- any time of the year -- and it will sprout new leaves in just a short time, then drop them again when the desert turns dry once more. That can happen several times in a year, depending on the precipitation. Strange but wonderful survival tool!
ReplyDeleteLoved the video.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you are feeling better.
I think that area is a fairly famous boondocking site. If you continue along that road you can find a clay oven that has been there awhile built by some famous boondockers. I think this might be one of Al's favorites as well. We haven't tried it yet, since we rather enjoyed our electricity when we were the last year.
ReplyDeletegreat pictures and video...feel better soon....
ReplyDeleteHope you get feeling a lot better. When you're not up to par, sightseeing just doesn't mean as much and you can't enjoy as much!
ReplyDeleteTake care!