October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Picture Perfect Day


Today’s perfection actually started last night with the BBQ at Rick and Paulette’s.  I gotta tell ya, Rick has not been exaggerating about Paulette’s talent in the kitchen.  We has roasted potatoes, grilled mushrooms and onions, bean salad, green salad with all kinds of goodies in it, garlic bread, and it was all just wonderful.  And then Rick grilled up some picture perfect steaks.  Oh my…so good.
P1020073
  I didn’t get a picture of the steaks as we were in the fiver already getting ready to chow down.  We did hear Rick coming with the platter though.  As he came up the steps with his plate full of steaks we heard him give a yell.  I thought he had dropped the plate at first.  But it seems his little muttzo, Rylie, was waiting for Rick at the top of the stairs.  As he held out the plate to climb aboard, Rylie assumed he was offering her a perfectly done steak and so she graciously accepted.  She selected the one she wanted and quick as scat she had it off the plate.  Thanks, Dad!  She didn’t get far with it though as Paulette was right there to snatch it back – and feed it to Rick.  Oh well, we all know the 10 second rule!  I did manage to save a few bites for Molly and Rylie so they weren’t completely denied.  We also met fellow bloggers Kim and Don and another BC couple Ken and Karen (they don’t blog, but they did provide some wonderful pie for dessert).  What a wonderful time we had.  By the time we left there was absolutely NO “W” and it stayed that way all day today.

Today dawned bright and beautiful, clear blue skies, not a hint of a breeze.  It was cold and crisp but as the sun rose, the air warmed to the mid 60s.  We took a drive up Hwy. 74, the Palms to Pines Hwy.  We did not go too far as we got a late start and still had some errands to complete today.  This is a map that is at the visitors center at the bottom of the hill.

P1140039
Click to enlarge.  We only went as far as the first major cutoff you see there, Hwy 371 to Anza and San Diego.  We saw this sign at the visitor’s center so we kept Poppy on a short leash and didn’t wander too far from the parking lot.

P1140013 

There are lots of trails here but many are restricted to NO DOGS.  The ranger told me it was to protect the mountain sheep.  Poppy got tired quickly anyway and so I sat in the car with her while Russ took a few photos.

P1140042

P1140024

P1140038

The road starts out pretty narrow and windy until it gets to the first overlook.  It’s a little hard to see here as some of the road is gray and some is a newly paved black.  Click on picture to enlarge.

P1020084

The views from the overlook are marvelous but pictures cannot really do it justice.
This is a picture from farther along on our drive as we began to enter the San Bernardino National Forest.  For my siblings…that snow capped peak in the distance is the backside of Big Bear.  Remember that place??
P1140012
The day continued to exude perfection and the sunset was another humdinger.  As I was walking out to get a shot of the setting sun, I spied this little critter in the lot next door.

P1020090

And finally, the end to a picture perfect day.  Good Night All.

P1020089
P.S.  See why there was no “W” today?  No one turned on the big fans!

14 comments:

  1. Jealous, jealous, jealous. Wish we were in the desert getting great shots like yours. The sunset is perfect and the steaks sound great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, looks like CA is agreeing with you, One of these days we will head out west too. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have passed you coming back down the mountain yesterday! I always enjoy going to the visitor's center...so much to see! Yes, the highway is curvy...just drive slowly and let the other cars go by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, of course I remember Big Bear. Many happy family outing up that way. I'm so glad that you and Russ are having such a good time.

    Rusty is doing just fine and dandy!! He seems to enjoy his time being an "only".

    Tell Russ his pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can bet I would have grabbed that steak in a flash too! I like mine medium rare, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rylie busted not once but twice in blogville!..poor little girl!..
    sounds to us like you are throughly enjoying yourselves in the land of sun!!!..stay as long as you can..another big rain and wind storm is heading our way!!!..blech!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So now I know who got the used steak! I wondered about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. excellent pictures...wow....thanks for clarifying who ate the Rylie steak...the 10 second rule always works in this house...have a super day in paradise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busted in blogland! I thought for sure I'd be able to keep that steak. Next time, I'll just have to bolt out the door and run like the wind! I was sure my Dad was offering one of them to me.

    Your drive up the mountain sure looked good too - I've been up there a few times with my Mom and Dad and it's a great view.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rylie, I would have given you at least half a steak! You know a whole one would have made you sick!! You are sure good company and I enjoy your visits. You take care now and remember...RUN, Rylie, Run...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny about the dog almost getting the steak:)

    We saw those snake signs all over CA. They are warning crazy in that state:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was wonderful to meet you both and enjoy your company. A fabulous evening, and we hope to get together again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a wonderful day out - glad ya'll enjoyed that beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, you two! Good to see you having fun out of the wind! AND now you can click on my name thanks to Rick and get my email. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete