There is a never ending supply of things to learn as we embrace the RV lifestyle…and we learned two important ones today.
First, we learned a lesson in social interaction. We were sorely lacking in a certain social skill. Although we had read blogs about this particular activity, and had even purchased the correct set of tools to participate, we just couldn’t seem to master the task. But all that changed today, for today Kate and Terry taught us how to play Mexican Train! We had a great time learning although I have to say, I think Terry could have shown us a little more mercy. I tell ya folks, Terry stays right on track and allows nothing to derail him. What a kick.
The second thing we learned was probably more important but not as much fun. We came to California to enjoy some sunshine and for several days that is exactly what we have been doing. However today we experienced what the weatherman down here called “showers.” Honey, let me tell you, I am from Oregon and I know the difference between rain and showers and this was R-A-I-N. Wet, drippy, pouring, RAIN!
So what did we learn from this??? We learned that the awning needs to have a VERY steep angle to drain the water - not just a slight downturn on one corner. At breakfast Russ looked out the window and said he needed to check the awning after he ate as it looked a little saggy. Before he could take his first bite, we heard a loud crack and the awning now had an extremely steep angle on one side. The end support pole had given way and was bent at a 90° angle. That dropped the center enough so that Russ could barely get out the door to put the awning away. He finally got it all put away – well, almost. The awning enclosure is sprung just enough so that it is not fully locked in the closed position. Kate and Terry offered some strong Velcro that sticks to itself and can be wrapped around the closed awning to hold it in place.
I guess as long as we are in California we will have to visit the factory and see if we can have it repaired. We have had RVs before and have deployed awnings in “showers”. But this turned out to be a little more than a shower and we should have paid closer attention to the angle. Oh well, live and learn…and at least we did get to learn Mexican Train!
We were so busy today that I forgot to take any pictures. And so here are a couple of Mt. Shasta that I took as we were headed south on I-5 on Sunday.
Goodnight all and happy travels.
It seems that everybody loses an awning at least once. And we've never learned to play Mexican Train. Sadly lacking in our social skills also.
ReplyDeleteYup, we lost an awning on our very first RV. We were driving west on I-84 (in the wind) and the awning popped loose and away it went. We haven't lost one in the rain (showers), though. I guess California has "showers" while Oregon/Washington have rain! ;)
ReplyDeleteFabulous pictures of Mt. Hood!
That was an unfortunate piece of bad luck having your awning ruined like that. Awnings are a tricky bit of business at the best of times. So susceptible to wind and rain. You will be glad to get that fixed and back into operation again.
ReplyDeleteWe had a big nasty Kansas crosswind rip an awning out on us while west bound near Salina one time. I have heard about the damage rain can do but have never experienced it. Not a lot of rain in the areas we go I guess. In fact we haven't had our awning down since our trip in 08/09. Maybe this year:))
Ooops about the awning; hope it turns out to be a quick and easy fix. Mt Shasta treated you to some great views.
ReplyDeleteI love to play Mexican Train - lots of fun!! :)
ReplyDeleteHope your awning is an easy fix.
I bought an atwood center rafter for our our awning and it keeps the center from sagging and water from filling it,water weighs about 6 lbs per gal so it doesn't take much for the weight to build up.It also has the added feature of supporting the center of a long awning in the rolled up position and locking it in place so it won't unroll, I think I [aid about $80 dollars for it and installed it myself. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like all awnings are good for is sun! Too bad, hope it's not an expensive fix.
ReplyDeleteWhat a difference in Mt. Shasta with all the snow. When we passed by there about 10 days ago there was almost no snow at all - makes for a great photo!!
Sorry about your awning ~ we always put ours in during rain just because we have had a problem or 2 since we have a electric awning. We also love Mexican Train however we haven't played it in years... We play more cards now.
ReplyDeleteHave fun & Travel safe
Donna
we are rookies at Mexican Train too..got it for Christmas a few years ago..we need an expert to show us how to play!..
ReplyDeleteso sorry to hear about the awning damage!..dang rain!!..hope the repair is quick and painless on the wallet!!
the views of Mount Shasta are amazing!!!
We learned to play Mexican Train a few years ago, and we agree it is a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteThere may be another lesson learned in your future. We have learned that every group we play this game with a some pretty big differences in the rules:)
Never heard of Mexican Train. Can it be played by 2?
ReplyDeleteWe have not yet used our awning. I will keep the rain in mind when we do. Since we don't have a dog, we probably will have it rolled up in rainy weather. We have some sort of automatic retract feature that is triggered by a wind sensor on the roof to protect it from high winds.
Does your warranty cover the damage? I think Judy's did last spring.
Gorgeous photos!
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you got to meet Merikay and Craig. I like the pelican pictures that Russ took. Hope the awning repair goes well. Looks like a fun trip so far. Wishing the both of you safe travels. We just got back from our weekend trip.
ReplyDeleteHope the awning is better now! Dealing with damage is never fun. We love playing Mexican Train too! Some of our camping friends introduced us to it several years ago and we never travel without it now!
ReplyDeleteCandy
I'd never heard of Mexican Train until I started reading blogs. Is it a card game, or dominoes?
ReplyDeleteBummer about your awning! I never put mine up - just haven't even thought about it. I don't know why.