October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

On the Move

I wasn’t able to post yesterday but I wanted to assure everyone that we are no longer stuck at Safeway.  As soon as a few of the bigger vehicles cleared out, we saw our window of opportunity and made a break for it.  It is nice to have the maneuverability to get into (and out of!) smaller parking lots.  I wonder how it will work after we hook up the toad?

We drove to Corning on Monday and spent the night at the Rolling Hills Casino RV park.  Russ had a $5 promo credit on his players card and won enough money to pay for the space and for dinner.  Can’t beat that!
P1010807 We also had breakfast at the casino.  Tuesday is senior day – 50% discount.  For $8.95 we got two breakfast buffets and it was really good.  Normally we don’t eat out this much but with no kitchenware to work with, we have been splurging a little.  Cold cereal, sandwiches, and Stouffers frozen dinners get old really quickly.

P1010811After we left the casino we went to the Olive Pit at the north end of Corning.  Russ was as happy as a hog in a waller!  He loves green olives but he restrained himself and only bought two jars.  But it was a fun stop, lots to look at.



We didn’t buy any of the pickled Brussels Sprouts, P1010812although I was tempted to buy some and send them to Rick (of Rick and Paulette).  I thought he might like to eat some with a fish taco!  I know you're heart-broken Rick, maybe next time.





In the parking lot we saw this rig.  Perhaps it is not that unique but I had never seen a toad carrying a 4 wheeler.  That’s a BIG rig…but I bet it couldn’t get out of the Safeway parking lot as easily as we did.
P1010815

We headed north on I-5 after that.  Tuesday was to be the only sunny day in the week according to the weather report and we wanted to get over the pass while it was clear and dry.  The weather was as promised and we made it to Seven Feathers – where we are currently sitting warm and dry while the rain falls all around us!!

On I-5, after Shasta and before Weed, there is a truck lot with many brightly colored trucks.  I don’t know why they are painted thusly but we always like to see them when we are traveling I-5.  There is no good place to stop for a photo but I took a couple out the window while traveling at 70 MPH, so the composition is not what it should be.
P1010816 P1010817
Does anyone know why these trucks are painted like this?  These photos do not encompass the entire lot but it is just filled with trucks in every color of the rainbow.





Finally, we saw the sign we had been waiting for…
P1010818 …we are back in Oregon.  And although it is good to be almost home, I REALLY REALLY want some sunshine and warmer weather.  It is raining pretty steady here today so we are just taking a Lazy Day to rest and relax in our Lazy Daze before we head home tomorrow.  Oh, we had breakfast at the casino and I broke down and put some money in the slot machine.  As soon as I had doubled my money – I hit that cash out button and called it good.  Too bad I only put in $10.  Russ also came out a little ahead so between the two of us, that paid for breakfast. 

And what a breakfast it was.  Russ had ham and eggs for $5.79 and it was a HUGE ham steak.  I knew as soon as I saw it that it was going to be trouble though.  It was grilled and had little grill lines running all over it.  I knew he was going to try and cut it on the lines!  The problem was, the lines were not all that even.  Now for someone with OCD, this presents a P1010819problem…do you cut exactly on the lines or do you make the bites even??  He did a little of both and with extreme concentration, he managed to cut and consume his ham streak.  We are not making fun of folks who are obsessive/compulsive.  Russ really does have this a mild case of this disorder and we have learned over the years to accept it and laugh about it.   It is part of what makes him uniquely Russ and I wouldn’t change a thing.


And here we are parked at Seven Feathers RV ResorP1010822t.

8 comments:

  1. Pickled Brussels Sprouts sounds interesting, but I think I will pass. I don't really have a recipe for my stuffed pepper soup, I just throw a few things together. About 2 lbs of cooked ground beef, 2 green peppers (chopped up) some chopped up spring onion, beef stock, 2 uncle bens wild and brown rice (the ready packages) 2 cans of chili ready tomatoes, and a small can of tomatoe paste. Some Italian seasoning and garlic. I let this all cook in the crock pot. Sometimes I also add some sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a relief to get past the pass, although I do enjoy the snowy beauty of that area. Seven Feathers is a good respite once you are through most of the Siskiyous. We always see those colored trucks, too, and Dave always comments on them. They always seem to be sitting there. Glad to hear that Russ made quick work of his ham steak project, I mean breakfast.

    Donna, now you see the fun of RVing at all these casinos. It's fun to play the slot machines, when you win that is. I forgot to mention that if you have a Seven Feathers casino card, you can get 3 cents off of their gas price--but maybe you discovered that!

    More rain for us here today, but we were able to get out this afternoon for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where we are camped at Borrego Springs, Ca. I have never seen so many Lazy Daze ! I have always been fascinated by them. Ever since I started following Blah Blah Ginger and Travels with Andy.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you two are having a good time in your new home on wheels. Be safe out there and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. another great 'leg' of your journey!..I would bet that big rig had to wait till the lot was empty..and no backing up either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that you made it back to your home state. And yes, it has been raining here...and then raining some more...and more. I'm growing rather weary of it, but they're promising a few sun breaks in the coming days. Stay safe on the rest of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the weather clears up for you... Sometimes it's just cheaper to eat at the casinos too. And you can each get wht you like. We have a friend who is OCD and it's much easier to handle if you can laugh a little with it!!!
    Have fun & travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pickled Brussel Sprouts or Fish Tacos? I'd rather starve to death!

    You've hit 2 of our favourite spots to stay on I-5 as we love Seven Feathers and always stop at the Rolling Hills Casino just for the buffet!

    ReplyDelete