October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Friday, March 25, 2011

End of the Road…or just the beginning?

Well it's the end of the road for Grandkids Week here at Kamp Krecklow but it seems the road is just beginning for son, John.  He has his first major trip and is heading out shortly for Gila Bend, AZ.  It is also a new beginning for us as we wrap up our commitments at home and prepare to hit the road for our first extended trip.


P1020001It's been quite a week here at the Grandparent's place.  We have taken a ride in the motorhome with girls and dogs.
 
 
 








We have taken five grandkids skating…P1020019





 
P1020023
 
 








 
 



P1020031













P1020024
P1020030

















…and six kids to the movies (no photos there!).



P1020014We tried to learn Mexican Train and ended up playing Rumikub.











We had a Bingo Tournament…P1020015













P1020016…and LOTS of meals (and not always very healthy, I admit).











We had “picture day” where someP1020043A photos were cute…






P1020046














P1020047and some were just plain silly.











We played with the dogsP1020053












P1020058
Anna
…and with Hula Hoops.






P1020066
Cailin


P1020065
Emmie








P1020072
Bekah














P1020074



Bekah liked to twirl the hoop on her arm, toss it as high as she could, and catch it and continue the twirl without missing a beat.  Brendan preferred to watch all the action from a safe distance.








P1020075














P1020078
And this morning we had our last breakfast with the four girls before the two local ones went home.  I think they stayed up WAAAY too late last night!!







The two Portland girls will go home tomorrow and then we will be working hard to get the place cleaned up so we can start our adventure.  I always struggle with that nasty guilt monster when I think of us going off for weeks at a time, but, by golly, I’m going to do it anyway!   I wouldn’t miss spending time with the grandkids for anything and we had a wonderful time but we are two really tired grandparents and we are going to do a little something for us now.  The only bad part about this week is I didn’t get to see the oldest two grandsons.  They are 19 and 22 and both working so they can’t come to grandma’s like they used to.  I can’t believe they grow up so fast.


We both have doctor appointments to get through in the next week or two but our plan right now is to leave here on (or about) April 6.  Our wonderful nephew will be watching the house and the cat again and the fur faced kids will be riding along with us.  Right now the plan is to go through Klamath Falls, then down 139 to Susanville then 395 to Reno for a visit with my big brother , David (yup, he wrote that book on German Shepherds and I am so proud of him!).  Then we will head on down 395 and see just where we end up.  I know for sure that a trip to Bishop is in the plans and I am going to enjoy some fresh Sheepherder bread and a visit to the Laws Railroad Museum.  After that – who knows???  Hope to see you on the road, Grandma...err..that is...Donna

14 comments:

  1. You are making lifelong memories with those grandbabies -- times they will hold in their hearts forever, but we also need "our" time. Life is short and we never know what tomorrow may bring. I understand the guilt...it's hard to leave each family we visit -- dgt in NC, son in Dallas & son in OK. Thank goodness for cellphones & computers! Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

    God bless & looking forward to hearing & seeing your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome back to RV Ville Donna..looks like you had a great week with the grandkids but now it is time to do something for you and Russ!..get ready to go and hit the road..!!!..we will be riding along in the backseat..!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to build memories for your grandchildren. They really get to bond with their cousins! I have two grandsons, 7 & 11, but no others. They do have a wonderful extended family of friends however.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your time on the road. You'll come back refreshed, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great time you have had with your grandchildren - a lot of memories for you and for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post, Donna. It sounds like you have had a wonderful week being Grandma, and now it's your time to play! I like that you showed the meal of hot dogs--it's up to their parents to feed them the healthy meals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a nice post with all of the activities with your grandchildren around you. I am looking forward to see where your travels take you.

    John
    relaxedrush.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of all the things I think about when we think of the time we will be fulltime, the one thing I know I will miss will be not having the constant weekly interaction with my Grandkids, but again as you said, sometimes you have to think of yourselves and do what you want first and then make some quality Grandkid time later.So far we have been Blessed and I know there will be trips in the future that will include them. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh sister, you failed to mention the two grieving sisters that you will be leaving behind!!! Well, at least we will sure miss you while you are gone (what is our friend at DQ going to do without us?)...but you know that we suppport you 100%. You are the worlds best Grandma, but time to now be the worlds best traveler. You and Russ have fun...relax...and just take care of each other for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Golly, we had that kind of time with our two older grandkids (now both in mid-to-late 20s, but not so much with our youngest, 15 going on 6 or 30, depending on the time of day. Let's keep in touch, as we are going to be heading the other direction along 395 in late April, headed for Carson City in mid-May. Maybe we can touch base and have lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I would have had you as my Grandma! Looks like everyone had wonderful times. Enjoy your travels! Judy from Rvlifeonwheels

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great week for you and the grands. Have fun on your trip and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sure you are going to enjoy the extended trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can feel the excitement building for your upcoming trip. I would far sooner be in your position of heading out on a trip rather than where we are right now heading home from a trip. We really liked the Lone Pine area but didn't care too much for the scenery south of Lone Pine on 395 south.

    ReplyDelete