October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Random Thoughts and Pictures

P1000184 
 (Click on any photo to enlarge)

We’ve only been home for less than a week and already I am remembering the places we have been in years past and the places that we will visit in the years to come.

P1000269a

I’ve been going through my photo files trying to organize the older ones and delete those that are never going to be useful.  Does anyone else have problems deleting photos?  Even if they are blurry or lack artistic composition, it’s like throwing away one of your kids!  Silly, especially with the type of pictures that I take.

P1000316

I think it is like so many other things in life.  It is not the picture, but the memory that the picture evokes that makes me want to keep each one.  Every image is associated with a certain feeling at a certain point in time and I want to hang on to  every wonderful second.  I read a poem that says in part:

“We cannot go back to a happier moment
We cannot recapture a day
For time passes by us and then it is over
Relentlessly going its way.”

aug 11 2008 084a

I guess I realize the preciousness of each passing moment and the photos, good and bad, remind of those times.  But I also treasure those memories in my heart.  The photo is just the reminder of precious moments, and there's no way around it - some of them have to go!

harris beach 009a

I woke up the other night feeling too warm.  In that fuzzy state between being asleep and being fully awake, my first thought was I needed to open the roof vents and get the Fantastic Fans going.  Problem was I was in my house!  Do you think I am getting used to being in Therapy?

harris beach 013a

13 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about deleting photos. I look back at some of mine and they're almost totally black and I wonder why I ever kept in the first place. Then I usually go on and just leave it alone!! Duh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you go back and look at your old photos. I tend to take the pictures, store them on the computer, or in a cabinet, and then never look at them again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pictures are memories..one day we will be gone and that will all that will be left!..morbid thought I know..I vote for going through them all and then keeping the good ones..or even the not so good ones if that is all you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has always been difficult for me to throw away photos or delete them here in the digital age. Even old meaningless black & white photos from years ago are hard to dispose of. The excuse I use for not deleting many photos is that I look at it as 'file' photo. Maybe not to artistic or scenic but the picture tells a story about a time, a place, a person, an event or a mood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a very hard time deleting photos soon after a trip or an event, after some time passes, however, the deleting is a lot easier for me. I have four external drives that I need to review, however, as I have a lot of duplicates. I want to combine everything on one mega drive so that I have just one thing to pick up and go in the event of an emergency ... at home or in the motorhome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! I can certainly identify with this post!! I NEVER want to delete any pics! They indeed do evoke memories that I cherish! Love the poem!!
    I am looking forward to the day that I can add even more to my already growing collection. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do go back and delete pictures - maybe two out of every hundred on a good day. LOL Have you tried to flush the toilet with your foot yet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just recently went through a large pile of slides from our 5 years living in Germany in the 70's. It was tough not scanning some but then I could not remember where the scene was and for a few, I wondered what I had been drinking.
    Kept those that paint a good story, and tossed the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm getting a little better with the delete button lately. Sometimes, it's hard though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those older photos that evoke memories for us ... that's part of the reason we started our daily photo blog. We go back and find shots that we really like and then we can share them with our friends. But yes, we do delete or throw away bad pix or ones of scenery so long past that we don't know where it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks like most of us have the same problem-photo hoarding:)

    I routinely go thru picture files and at least try to delete those that are nearly identical. I have learned to just get rid of those that are not technically any good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh sister YES I do indeed have trouble deleting photos... and that's why I have thousands & thousands & thousands & thousands. LOL
    Have fun
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that stairstep gull photo!

    I don't have trouble deleting at the original download. I think that comes with the digital age. We used to have to pay to get those prints from film, so no way were we throwing those away!!

    Later, when I look, I still am able to do some deleting. I do consider myself to be sentimental so I suppose it's the ones that have no particular memory that I can do the clicking on...

    ReplyDelete