October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hat Creek–coming and going

As is our tradition, we stopped at Hat creek on our way to Reno last week.  After sweltering in Reno for two days, we returned to Hat Creek for a couple of cooler days along the water at Hat Creek Resort.  In order to alleviate the boredom that would result from two such similar posts, I am going to combine those visits into one post.

The drive through the forests along CA89 is always a nice one.  This year was especially beautiful.  Normally in mid-July the underbrush is dry and brown and McCoy and Hog Flat reservoirs are almost empty.  The forest floor last week was lush and green and the reservoirs were full.

P1040128

For as long as I can remember, I have been enamored of creeks, brooks, streams, whatever you want to call them.  Let me sit by a creek and eat a simple sandwich any day rather than sit in a stuffy restaurant and eat a gourmet meal.  And so we had our sandwiches creekside on the way to Reno.

P1040135

We took the time to play around the creek and watch the fishermen.

P1040132
P1040141






P1040140

P1040143

Our stay at Hat Creek Resort, on a different segment of the creek, was equally enjoyable.  Brian and Laila had one of the large motel rooms and we stayed in the MH.  This resort offers a variety of accommodations from camping spaces to yurts, to cabins, to motel rooms.  Something for everyone yet it still maintains the peaceful feeling that defines Hat Creek.

P1040212

P1040213

P1040217

I was sharing my thoughts with Russ about why I enjoy our Therapy so much.  As I have shared before, Russ and I had a ready made family when we were first married.  When we combined our households, we sold our separate homes and bought one large enough to hold four kids, a dog, and two grown-ups.  I told Russ that Therapy is like that first little apartment we missed out on having together.  Just the two of us in our own small, easy to take care of space.  Russ agreed that it was much like a little starter home…”Just start ‘er up and away we go,” was his response.  EXACTLY!!

9 comments:

  1. I like the way you and Russ think: "Start 'er up and away we go." Sounds like a delightful starter home to me! Hat Creek looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Let me sit by a creek and eat a simple sandwich any day rather than sit in a stuffy restaurant and eat a gourmet meal." Yep, I'm sure with ya on that one:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have not had an empty nest since we were married and started raising the boys, our youngest is till home and we seem to always have a crisis where one or more of the Grand kids needs a place to stay. Hopefully one day our fiver will be our starter apartment and we can have the therapy you guys enjoy. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with AL, definitely prefer to eat by a flowing stream than in a restaurant any day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lunch beside the creek sounded delightful!!..we think like you and Russ too..start it up and away we go!!..new views out the windshield..gotta love that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great attitude!! Looks like you had a wonderful day too - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being in our own starter apartment on the road, we surely agree with you. And we also agree with you about the Hat Creek area. Gimme a sandwich and a creek -- even if I have to make my own sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your sentiment in that sweet little last paragraph! a great way to think about your little house on wheels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh... you are soooo right!! Give me a sandwich by the creek any day! I also like the looks of that campfire and those hot dogs as well. :-)
    You guys have the right ideas!!

    ReplyDelete