October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Week is Winding Down–and so am I

No new pictures or fun places today…just a day at home with 7 kids – all but one in the pool for most of the afternoon. 

The Grandkids week is winding to a close and with that, Russ and I are winding down too.  We will only have the two Portland girls tomorrow and then Bekah’s Dad comes down on Saturday to pick up both girls.  They’ll be heading home on Sunday.


Next week, we’ll be at Washburne State Park on the Oregon coast for four days.  We are going with our son, Josh,  and his wife and two girls.  We’ll only have one day to rest and get ready for that trip so we’ll see how that goes.

After that, Russ and I plan to spend some time in Therapy – just the two of us and the fur kids.  I think we’ll need it.

I read a book many, many years ago called “The Tyranny of the Urgent.”  The premise of the book was that we spend so much time attending to the things clambering for our attention on a daily basis that we sometimes miss what is really important.  I have a tendency to do that.  I get so involved in taking care of what needs to be done “right now” that I lose focus of the bigger picture.  I spend so much time doing what is urgent in the moment that I neglect what is important for the long term.  I am pretty good at working and taking care of everyone else, but not so good at relaxing and taking care of myself.

Today my niece, whose son has participated in some of our family times this week, sent a plate of cupcakes over for all the kids to share.  That touched me so deeply.  Even though her son has spent minimal time here this week, she was so thoughtful to send this token of appreciation. It’s those little gestures that really help and keep me going.

And so with those deep philosophical thoughts I bid you good night.  I’m pooped!!

7 comments:

  1. sleep well my friend..so happy you caught the 'cyber wave'!!..next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shall I sing you a song? "You deserve a break today...in Therapy". You have done a marvelous job with all those grandchildren this week, but I'm glad you will have a bit of a chance to relax and take it easy for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's often difficult to treat ourselves as well as we treat others. Take a step back, ask yourself if you'd put your best friend through so much stress and try to treat yourself as well as you'd treat them.

    And remember to breathe

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Russ and I plan to spend some time in Therapy – just the two of us and the fur kids."

    Well, I sure like the sounds of that alright. Good for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seven kids at once! WOW, you will need some downtime for sure.

    We have one right now (will be 5 on the 28th) In two hours we get her 2 y/o sister. They go home on Sunday. The two wipe us out - can not imagine 7! What fabulous grandparents you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Often knowing what is most important is difficult. Even when knowing what that might be, it still is tough to act on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You two have really had a busy week and DESERVE some time in therapy!! It does sound like the "grands" really enjoyed the week.

    I can so identify with you thoughts on being so busy in the moment we sometimes miss what is really important. I rarely take time for myself. I should check out that book!!

    You two take care and enjoy that family!!

    ReplyDelete