Here’s the deal, you find some outrageous spot to lie flat on your face with your arms at your sides, stiff as a board (plank), and someone takes your picture. Then you post that picture in a public place so you get as many people as possible to think you’re an idiot! There is a good explanation of this phenomena here but the author also talks about “Owling” and I have no idea what that is! I managed to escape involvement in the actual posing by being the official photographer.
It started at breakfast when I told my sis and her husband about this new game. They were skeptical at first but soon the ideas were just rolling out of their twisted little heads. I followed along with the camera ready to distract Security as these old fogeys ran rampant through the Grand Sierra Resort, Reno, NV.
They started mild…
…and quickly escalated into wild…
Yes, Sharon and David…that is YOUR sister stretched out on the bar in the middle of the Grand Sierra Resort. The bar was not open yet but Laila was never one to be stopped by a velvet rope. I fully expected security to come around the corner at any moment. I quickly snapped the photos from a safe angle and beat a hasty retreat, deserting my dear and crazy sis in the process.
Not to be outdone, Brian defeated his own velvet rope and made his way onstage. After a quick bit of karaoke without the music, he planked the stage at Grand Sierra Resort.
Before we got out of the lobby, the ideas were flowing fast and furious. Brian decided to try the lobby waterfall…the one surrounded by a ledge about 6 inches wide.
That looks kinda like flames but it is only water cascading down a glass sheet.
Well, ya’ll know that Russ could not resist forever and he soon found his own planking post in front of the central lobby sculpture. Note that his plank was completed on a soft and raised surface.
And Laila on another bench.
Outside, it just did not quit. Another horse sculpture called to Russ and duty demanded that he respond.
And then he tried a vertical plank.
But the idea of the day came from Brian. “I know,” says the oldest and wisest member of our group. “We all have handicap parking permits, let’s do a handicap parking plank.” Didn’t anyone ever tell these crazy people that asphalt in Reno in the summer is HOT??? But did that stop them…NO.
I snapped the picture quickly before any cars came and then had to help each one of these feeble
We ended the day by having dinner with my brother David, his wife Linda, and one of their children, Alycia and Alycia’s boy David. Little David is in first grade and is the cutest, sweetest, most well-behaved child I have ever seen. We love spending time with him. My brother on the other hand....
Now I don’t know how the subject came up, I swear I don’t, but somehow the talk at dinner turned to planking. Some photos were shared and as we left, I managed to convince this sweet little boy that he needed to plank. He took to it like a champ.
And so ends the planking adventures of the old folks in Reno. I have a feeling this was a once in a lifetime adventure…at least I hope it was. The funniest part was, after I had taken all those pictures inside the Grand Sierra, I told Brian and Laila that I had made the whole thing up! Wish I had a picture of their faces…but I corrected myself and we all had a great time.
Next up…in a few days probably…Hat Creek.
That's hilarious. Yes, your kids are embarrassed by you but it's still hilarious!
ReplyDeleteWOW! Who said it is expensive to have a good time? :)
ReplyDeleteThat explains all the Breaking News flashes on TV all afternoon!!! There were rumors about um, elderly, peeps in Reno just falling flat. Guess the media didn't realize it was the same ones all over town!
ReplyDeleteYou guys are just "flat" silly!!! But it does truly explain to me what The Good Luck Duck was doing in her blog the other day... and if you want to know about owling, that's the place!
It's interesting that I just heard about "planking" and "owling" the other day. What will be next? I'm with you, I'll stay behind the camera. It does sound like it was all your idea, though. Did you know you had that much influence in their lives? :)
ReplyDeleteI think this is the third blog with photos of planking...hysterical!!
ReplyDeleteHere are some pages on Owling, I like the Planking photos better.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Owling/182608258465224
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Owling-The-Evolution-of-Planking/208094735904211
Falling flat on your face used to be something we always tried to avoid. Now it's in fashion? Who knew?
ReplyDeleteHow funny -- I would NEVER get any of my crew to EVER do anything like planking -- they'd think I had lost my mind!
ReplyDeleteoh my Donna and Russ..you know how to PARTAY!!!..or plank!..what a great post!!..thanks so much for the laugh!..Nellie will be so proud of all of you!!
ReplyDeleteThat is so funny! :) I've never heard of planking, but I'm sure I will again. Looks like a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteI LITERALLY LOLed when I saw your handicapped parking planking! This was your funniest post ever!!! When I scrolled down & saw Russ munching on some gravel, I snorted! You made my whole day!! :) I just love you guys! :)
ReplyDeleteThat's hilarious ... good thing they didn't try it the parking lot planking here yesterday ... they would have cooked!
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your blog from time to time (usually when mentioned on Al's blog), I've officially signed up as a follower. Anybody who will do something like this - or better yet, talk other people into doing it - is my kind of folk. VERY funny post, and the "planks" in the HC spaces are hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking you'll have enough planks to build a house in the near future! :)
ReplyDeleteWell, Donna K........You sure have come out of the closet & walked the 'Plank' on this one. To Plank or Not To Plank, this is the question. And, I see you & Russ have made your decision. Plank on Dudes:))
ReplyDeleteYes, children, this is how your parents act when no one is watching!
ReplyDeleteWow, you guys really got into that!
ReplyDeleteHow funny!
This was just hysterical. Thanks so much for the laughs.....your kids must be so proud I would be to have such carefree fun parents. Keep it up!!!
ReplyDeleteWhile planking is fading out and slowly becoming something the internet retards no longer find funny, you can rest assured you just gave it that extra kick to make it something no one wants to do anymore.
ReplyDeleteLove you guys! And that was soooo funny. Now you have to realize that you are in the esteemed group who writes a blog that is good enough to get the ugly anonymous nasty junk. Good for you, it means you have arrived! I'm glad there are more people like you in the world and fewer like mr/ms anon. although I have to say, sexist I may be, but I would bet my life anon is a pissy male young adult with no life to speak of. Can we plank him? Permanently?
ReplyDeleteI love it Malone! That's a great idea.
ReplyDeleteSorry Mr. Anon, I find your comments funny and not offensive in the least. Too bad you cannot find joy and fun in just being silly. I bet I'm happier than you are - so there!!
Couldn't stop laughing, we are never to 'old' to have fun!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat we all won't do to get blog fodder! Great one!
ReplyDeleteWish I had read this before we went to Lewistown. I'd have loved to get all those "kids" to plank their cars. You must have had a ball doing this.
ReplyDelete