October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Shotgun Creek

Shotgun Creek is a BLM day use park about 24 miles northeast of Eugene.  Unfortunately, I figured there would be a good website I could link to but this link is not real good.  I spent all my camera time mostly taking pictures of kiddos and didn’t get any real good scenic shots.  Oh well…

The new header picture was taken today as we arrived at Shotgun Creek.

So, we loaded up six grandkids the dog and the old folks (that’s us, in case you didn’t know) and we headed out to Shotgun Creek for the day.  This is the road into the park and gives you the feel of the forested nature of this park.
P1000428

The park consists of about 260 acres, of which 20 are developed as a day use area.  There is a swimming area with individual picnic sites that look more like campsites.  The picnic sites are scattered throughout a network of paved paths near the swimming beach and all have a nice picnic table, fire pit, bar-b-que grill and the firewood is FREE!!  The day use is also free with a federal parks pass, otherwise it’s only $3 per vehicle.

a1000436

The other side of the park has a playground, sand volleyball court, horseshoe pits and two group shelters.

a1000290

The covered shelters have a large fireplace, water and electric, and nice picnic tables.  This one is kinda up on a small hill.
a1000329

There is a network of about 6 miles of walking trails, mostly along the creek. 
a1000332

A small dam is in place creating the sandy swimming area.  I don’t know if the dam has another purpose but it sure makes a fine swimming hole!  I found a group of weird and crazy people standing in front of this dam.  The dog was not crazy!
a000442

I swear I do not know these people!!
a1000448

The water is not at all as warm as Grandma’s pool but a couple of the kids made the effort to enjoy it.
a1000454
a1000453









a1000460

Poppy thought it felt pretty good and was brave enough to get in up to her “ankles”.  Rusty would have been in there, first laying down for a soak and then a little swimming.

a1000458

The sign says “Unsupervised Swimming” but it looks to me like we have more supervisors than we do swimmers.
a1000463

Brendan enjoyed the sand and built a fine sand fort.
a1000500

The playground is a popular spot but we had it all to ourselves today.
a1000471

Later a couple of families showed up at the swimming area but other than that, it was pretty much our private park today.  Can’t beat that.  Cailin brought her guitar and provided some beachside entertainment, along with Bekah.  (note to family: a couple more clips on my You Tube channel)



All of this activity was too much for grandpa and he just checked out for awhile.
a1000506

Thankfully he woke up feeling refreshed enough to drive us all back home…and that ends another day of making memories for the grandkids.

16 comments:

  1. What great grandparents you guys are! The kids look like they had a blast. You truly have found the good life with each other. I'm very happy for you. You make each day joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool picture of Russ in the header photo!

    WONDERFUL, DELIGHTFUL, LOVING day. Just love the way those kids get along and have sooooo much fun together.
    You two are Blessed to have them, and they are Blessed to have you. What an awesome family day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandchildren make our lives complete, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had your own version of a concert in the park! Those pictures you took are precious--what good memories you made today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I like your new header picture. Therapy looks extra clean and Russ doesn't look too bad, either! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. After looking at all the activities and photos, I don't blame Russ for taking a little siesta. You guys are absolute 'grandparent gods' for doing all this for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such talent those kids have!! What a blessing. But then I think I heard somewhere, that grandma might have had something to do with their musical genes.......:) Beautiful park and beautiful memories those kiddos will have forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure was great you had the whole place to yourselves. You guys really had a great time. Grandma and Grandpa sure know some neat places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure looked like a beautiful park can't beat the price. I like the way the paths follow the creek. Nice picture of Russ and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great day, you guys will end up having the Grands move in if you keep treating them so good.Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with poppy; just getting my feet wet is fine ... especially when the water is colder than bathwater.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that new header photo. But I'm with the supervisors - on the shore and not in that cold water. Such a wonderful day with wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. another nice day with the 'grands'!..outside enjoy all the wonders of mother nature, instead of inside the house..nice that Poppy got to get her feet wet..you know of course that Tucker would have joined the kids,splashing everyone with that cold water!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Memories for the grandkids, yes indeed, and some wonderful memories for the Old Folks as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice location and duly noted! We had to alter course and head to the Oregon coast; too hot along I-5. Enjoy those darling grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful place to camp. I felt cooler just looking at the pictures!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete