One of our favorite drives is up the McKenzie Highway. We traveled this route not too long ago but this time all our stops were different from last time. We could do this drive many times and still find different places to stop each time.
Today Laila was in search of a present for a parking attendant at the U of O basketball arena. This lady is always so nice to them and Laila found out she collects Christmas trees. So today our first stop was a quaint and curious shop on the McKenzie Highway in Blue River, OR, called Christmas Treasures. This store is open year round and has every type of Christmas decoration imaginable. Laila found what she wanted and Russ put on a happy face!
Not too much farther along, we stopped at Harbick’s Country Store. This store is next door to and owned by the folks who run Takoda’s Restaurant. After our last visit to the restaurant, Russ decided we would dine elsewhere today! More on that a little later.
Harbick’s Country Store is not just a “store”, it’s an experience. They have a little bit of everything from corn dogs to RV sewer connections. Knick Knacks and do-dads share space with cereal and lawn rakes. Of course there are the usual ice cream bars and sodas, but so much more. It’s great fun just to stop there and look around.
Brian found a way cool hat…but I guess standing under a hanging basket of flowers would make anyone cool!
Our next stop was Belknap Springs but I am going to hold that over for tomorrow along with our lunch stop and skip on over to Clear Lake, our turn-around point for the day.
Clear Lake is an exceptionally clean and clear lake fed by snow melt from nearby Mt. Washington as well as two seasonal streams. This lake is the headwaters for the McKenzie River and is the only source of drinking water for the 200,000+ people in the Eugene area. Our drinking water is some of the best in the nation and I can attest to its clean and cold quality.
Linn County runs the old fashioned resort and marina at the lake. No motor boats are allowed as that might damage the purity of the lake. The exceptional clarity of the water makes this lake a popular destination for scuba divers (Brr).
Here ya go Sue and Mo! Looks like your kind of place.
When I went down to the lake to snap the picture above, I surprised a little water snake and I watched as he skittered quickly over the water. I wasn’t quick enough with the camera but that little fella could MOVE!
The “Elders” took a rest on the restaurant /office porch.
When Russ has a camera in hand, nothing else draws his attention.
I think this boat will not be going in the water again.
Coldwater Cove, a forest service campground is at the south end of the lake. It has lake access but limited views of the lake from the camping sites. I didn’t see too many sites that would accommodate an RV over about 24’ but the host site wasn’t too bad.
That’s enough for today, but tomorrow I’ll tell you about Trailbridge Campground, Belknap Springs, and Finn Rock Grill (oh YUM!). See ya down the road.
My "little old fisherman friend" in the shop there reminded me of Dizzy. Take a look at his blog and profile photo and you'll see why.
ReplyDeletehttp://dizzydick.blogspot.com/2012/07/wondering-about-rain.html
I do believe you're right!!
DeleteWOW Russ...that is some kind of smile :)
ReplyDeleteHarbick’s Country Store sounds like a place Paul would want to keep me out of...hehe
Great tour and I'm so glad Russ finally found a friend.
ReplyDelete"from corn dogs to RV sewer connections." Now that's a combination I'm not sure I could get into. :)
ReplyDeletesounds like you had some quality sister time!..just what you needed!..the four of you are such an adventurous bunch!
ReplyDeleteGreat ride up the Highway. That Christmas store looked like a great place. I used to love that stuff when I had a house. Now there's no room so I'm not so tempted.
ReplyDeleteoooh, Donna, we have to try that one, we haven't seen it before even though we have been up the MacKenzie Highway a couple of times. Actually we are getting itchy to get back to the coast but probably won't get a chance before the Colorado reunion. sigh. love that ocean
ReplyDeleteA nice ride indeed and I enjoyed all of the stops along the way.
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a great day. By the way what was Russ taking a picture of?
ReplyDeleteLaughed out loud reading "corn dogs to sewer connections".... what an array of items! Is that boat being used as a planter? Hey... if folks can use a cast-iron bathtub for a planter, why not?
ReplyDeleteWhat a great fun post, Donna! Two things kind of threw me for a loop though. First was the word 'cerulean' to describe the sky - I've lived my entire life without knowing what that word means! I was going to Google it but decided to live with the mystery for a bit longer.
ReplyDeleteSecond was your talking about Christmas in July - aarrrghhh!!!
Sure looked like a beautiful day to spend with your sister and her husband. Think I could just spend the day enjoying Clear Lake. WE had few delays here so looks like we will be leaving Corona in the morning.
ReplyDelete