October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

You Guys Are the BEST!

There is a precious little story of a young boy who asked his father if he could go across the street in order to visit with their elderly neighbor who was sitting outside on the porch. This old gentleman had just lost his beloved wife of many years, and the family had spoken of how tough it must be.


The little boy carefully crossed the street to the house directly across from his own, approached the old neighbor, and then climbed up on the old man’s lap. The father watched quietly, wondering what kind of conversation the two might be having.



Soon the young boy came back home and he and his father went inside their own house. As they did, the father asked, “What did you talk about, son?” “Nothing,” was the reply.



“But I saw you sitting on the neighbor's lap. What were you saying?”
The son replied, “I didn’t say anything, Daddy, I just helped him cry.”


Borrowed from the Face Book page, I Just Helped Him Cry

As I sat and read your comments to my post last night, the tears flowed freely.  I cannot begin to tell you how much your comments meant to me or how much they helped.  Some of you said things such as, “I don’t have any words of wisdom," or almost seemed apologetic that you were saying the same thing someone else had already said.  BELIEVE ME, each and every comment was needed and appreciated.  Yes, the tears flowed but they brought healing.

I am not so naïve as to think I am all better now, but I am better today than I was yesterday.  And I will be even better tomorrow.  I know I will have good days and not so good days, but the memories are beginning to grow sweeter.  I talked to my brother about Rusty this evening and for the first time I did not break down, nor did Russ.  That’s progress.

We spent the day at the Oregon coast with my sister, Laila, and her husband Brian.  We were all able to share memories of Sharon and even have some laughs over those memories.  It was good for us to spend the time together and we had a great day.   I am getting my pictures organized and I will share that day with you tomorrow. 

Thanks again everyone and know that you DO make a difference.  Some of you I have had the privilege to meet in person and some  I may never have the honor to meet.  But to think that you would take the time to try and help me through my grief just blows me away.  Thank you for helping me cry.

8 comments:

  1. Cry as much as you need to. It's good for the soul. Don't worry about us. We'll be here when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears are usually very therapeutic. It doesn't seem like it at the time, but usually things look brighter in the morning. I think that most of us can empathize with you since getting to our age usually means that we have had some suffering in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are here good days and bad days and we care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a bit of a curious coincidence, but just the other day my wife commented on why she never wanted another pet, after having asked, "Do you think we'll ever want a dog?" After thinking about it (I said not a word) she went on to answer her own question by saying, "I don't think so."
    The only reason we've not had any more pets is because of how hard it is to part with them when they die. It's kind of the "chicken" way out, I know, but I've done it too many times.
    Time will tell, and time is the one thing that will make it somewhat better for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me so happy that you are feeling better, one day at a time. Please know that you are thought of each day and praying for that day where the memories outweigh the sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each day does make it better, even the bad days aren't quite so hard. I think the Lord gave us tears on purpose to help us release our grief. And even though we haven't met, we are definitely friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's no right or wrong way to grieve, Donna...

    Glad you're feeling a little better, but don't be hard on yourself if you need to cry...it's natural. You'll have those days. Trust me, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bible says "a merry heart doeth good, like a medicine."

    ReplyDelete