October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Friday, July 6, 2012

RIP Rusty

I really cannot write right now other than to pets 017say Rusty is at rest.  Yesterday was a very hard day for him.  He stumbled and fell every time he tried to walk.  His back feet had sores on top from being dragged around.  I just could not in good conscience hang on to him any longer.  I felt him telling me yesterday that he was tired of the struggle and he just wanted to be released.



We were fortunate to get the mobile vet to come out and attend to him here.  He passed from this life about 12:45 this afternoon, in his own backyard, lying on his own bed, and surrounded by those he loved and who loved him so very much in return.


Who are these skinny little fur kids?grass4

Rusty would have been 15 years old on July 21.  He had a good life and was truly loved and outrageously spoiled.  And for all the spoiling on our part he remained sweet and unspoiled and pure of heart.
P1020840c

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed right now but if you would indulge me, I would like to put up a slide show of Rusty’s life in a day or so.  I think there is one dog in every dog person's life that is “THE” dog.  For me it was Rusty and he gave me almost 15 years of love and companionship.  I wish it could have been more.

52 comments:

  1. We are so sorry to hear of the passing of Rusty..as hard as it is, just know that you did the most unselfish thing you can do for a beloved pet..rest in peace sweet Rusty. :*(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for the loss you are feeling, but it sounds like you did what was best for Rusty. My prayers are with you, Donna and Russ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. Isn't Rusty who i met? He was a sweet dog. If we have animals we have had to go thru this, it is the saddest ever thing. They love us unconditionally, as we do them. Thinking of you both, Take Care and God Bless!!! Those are beautiful pictures of Rusty!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been there. It is so hard. Our pets are our family. I'm so sorry. Rusty is no longer in pain at least you can be comforted with that. Again, I am so sorry for what you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry about Rusty. I know your heart aches and will for a long time even though you did the very best thing for him. Please put up a slide show. He's part of your family which makes him a part of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about Rusty. I have loved and lost sweet dogs as well. Some are just more special than others. You did right by him. You loved him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss. Hope tomorrow looks a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry that you lost your beloved fur kid. Doing the tribute will be difficult but also healing. I will be here to share your special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for your loss, Rusty had a long and great life with the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your condolences. Yes, he did have a long life and he did his best to enjoy it to the fullest.

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry to read this. 15 is a pretty good life for any dog.
    It's always a trying time when you lose a pet.
    So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob for your condolences. Yes, 15 is an old man and he was brave and did his best to the end.

      Delete
  11. Russ, I feel your pain, sorry for the water marks on my comment but I am teary eyed too.I too have had several palls that left us at the 124 or 15 year mark. It;s never easy to say goodbye, they are so loyal and ask for nothing but love in return for their lifetime of companionship.You and Donna were the best of the best when it comes to Rusty and he knew it. We send our love. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry Donna...it is so hard to make that decision...I am sorry for your loss. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your condolences. It helps to know that others care.

      Delete
  13. We here at the Bayfield Bunch understand the loss in your life & the void Rusty's passing has created. We took comfort in knowing any pain & suffering had ended when our guys left us one by one & I think you will find comfort as well now that Rusty has moved on. It is so hard to see our best Pals in the final stages & moments of their lives. In a few days the pain will ease a bit & soon a few rays of sunlight will again begin to peer through the sorrowful clouds. You will always have the great memories of Rusty just as Rusty carried all those great memories of you folks through his life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sincere thoughts are with you...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Donna and Russ, we are genuinely sorry for your loss. This is a tough time but soon the pain will be replaced with warm and loving memories of a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We know the pain of having to make that decision as we did for our Blackie back in March. You will feel the void for a long time, so allow yourself to grieve. And we're so sorry that this comes to closely on the heels of losing Sharon. Your heart is so raw right now and we pray that you will feel God's arms wrapped tightly around you, holding you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You guys did everything you could to take care of Rusty and show him how much you loved him. Now may he RIP, pain-free, and may you find peace and comfort in your wonderful memories of him. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We sincerely as sorry for your loss. I so enjoyed looking at the photos you would post of Rusty. I look forward to the slideshow and watching Rusty grow up.
    Our love and prayers are with you two today. Remember, Our Dear Lord loves his animals and you two will see Rusty again one day. He will run around you like he did when he was a pup.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I'm so sorry. We lost our beloved German Shepherd in December. We were on a family vacation for a reunion. He lasted until we arrived back home, then passed in my arms. It's never easy losing a loving pet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are so sorry for the loss of your good friend. Rusty was a beautiful creature, and he brought many years of joy to you guys. Know that you brought a full lifetime of joy to him as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My thoughts and prayers are with you two. You were good doggy-parents.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So sorry, Russ and Donna, to hear about the loss of Rusty, he was a beautiful dog and a much loved member of your family. Rest assured that Rusty enjoyed the best life any dog could ever hope for. That's about all we can do for our pets but I know it is overwhelming when we lose them.

    The only cure is time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, boy, immediate tears. I'm so sorry for your loss, Donna and Russ. I'm at a loss for words at a time like this except to echo what everyone has said. You gave Rusty a wonderful, long life, and you listened to him when he told you it was time. He lives on in your hearts forever. Again, I'm so sorry for your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know how much you love Jack so you truly do understand. So many words of comfort and they all help.

      Delete
  24. So sad to hear about Rusty. It is a shame our animals have such a short life span. It sure has been a tough few weeks for you. You are in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sorry to hear about the loss of Rusty. We know how much he was loved by you both. We will remember you both in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Donna and Russ, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how much you loved Rusty, and I know you'll miss him terribly. You made a hard decision, but Rusty is at peace now. Like hobopals, immediate tears before I even got to the end of your post. Some pets are just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My heart aches for you on the passing of Rusty. Having been there, I know how difficult this is, but hope you take comfort in knowing you did the right thing, that you performed the last act of love for Rusty and that he is restored and awaiting you at The Rainbow Bridge. Peace, strength, joyous memories and love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My heart aches for you both on the passing of Rusty. I know how difficult this is, having made the same decision for my furred friends. I hope you find comfort in knowing that you did the right thing, that this was the last act of love you could perform for Rusty and that he is restored and awaiting you at The Rainbow Bridge. Peace, strength, joyous memories and love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your thoughts. It helps to know that others care and understand.

      Delete
  29. Sorry to hear about Rusty. It is always tough losing an animal that you love so much and who returns that love.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So sorry to hear about Rusty, He will be with you always in you heart and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just read you post... I think all your friends have already said it all... But I can't let Rusty's passing without telling you how sad I am for you. And you know... you were as good a friend to him as he was to you... right to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am so sorry that Rusty had to go. His memory will comfort you in the years to come. Hugs to you..

    ReplyDelete
  33. Donna and Russ,
    Since you posted on facebook yestesday, I have been thinking about what to say to you. I haven't had "the one dog" but I have had Jasper... He was born at the side of my bed and was truly only mine ~ the only cat in my life that lived that life. My heart still aches for him every day and yours will ache for Rusty for many days and months to come. It's 7 months tomorrow and I still cry for him. I know your feelings for Rusty were just as deep and loving and that you will miss him dearly, moment after moment as time passes. Rusty had a wonderful adventurous life with the two of you and was a blessed dog by having you for the journey...

    peace.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm so sorry. One of my dogs could have been Rusty's twin - the likeness is uncanny. It's always hard for me to read of animals passing on and I have a huge soft spot for dogs in particular. When forced to contemplate the inevitable, I console myself with the thought that my dogs lead a very charmed life. They are included in everything, have been so many places, and enjoyed so many different sights and smells in addition to plenty of love and attention. It appears Rusty enjoyed the same charmed life!! He lived a long and happy life and couldn't have had a better better family...I hope you can take comfort in that until you meet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rusty did have a wonderful life and he added so much to ours. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  35. Just catching up on your blog, so sorry to hear of your loss. Not every dog is as lucky to have such great people to care and love him. I believe both yours and his life were enriched by being together.
    It will be tough to go through these next few weeks, there is a special void in your life. But please don't hesitate to grieve. It's important to grieve.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dog always gives more than he demands. The love of a dog is a precious gift and I was so lucky to have Rusty for almost 15 years.

      Delete
  36. All I can do is add my hugs to all the posts above....

    ReplyDelete
  37. This month has really been too much. Really. I'm so sorry for this second assault of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh gosh I'm so sorry for your loss! I do believe our pets watch over us when they pass and that one day you'll meet again. A lovely dog and you've honored him with a lovely post. Nina

    ReplyDelete
  39. Carol and I are so sorry. Just thinking about about how hard that decision is makes us sad.
    Enjoy your future travels.
    Ed & Carol
    and Gopher the Dog.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am so very sorry to read this Russ & Donna. I have tears in my eyes. I know too well how much it hurts to have to say goodbye. It's great that you had a vet that could come out there so Rusty could still be in comfort. May the good memories live on. {{Hugs to ya'll & Poppy}}

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just catching up on your blog. I am so sorry you have lost your special heart dog, it is so hard to say goodbye. How lovely that he was in his yard with his family.

    ReplyDelete
  42. We grieve with thee

    Losing a pet is tough

    ReplyDelete
  43. So, so sorry to read about Rusty's passing. But, he's in a better place and no longer suffering from his ailments. You were right to let him go.

    ReplyDelete