Just kidding of course. I have the best teenage and pre-teenage grandkids that any grandma could ask for. The two from Portland, Anna and Bekah, arrived today and the two Eugene girls, Cailin and Emilie will be joining us on Wednesday afternoon for a 10 day sleep-over. Somewhere in there I need to work in a couple of grandsons too. If you don’t hear from me for a couple of days, call for help. They have either locked me in the attic or I have locked MYSELF in the bedroom. Next time Sue and Mo go on a winery tour, I think I need to go with them!! Doesn’t matter that I don’t drink – I could always start!!
I’ve been keeping my eye out for the announcement from Canon regarding their new mirrorless camera, with interchangeable lenses. Rick Doyle has blogged about this a couple of times and explained the technology behind the camera. The announcement came out today and it sure looks like a fine camera. HOWEVER, for the price I think I will just stick with a middle of the road point and shoot. As Rick pointed out to me in an email, he’s tired of changing lenses for different conditions, and I think I am too. If I want to do that I can always break out the D300.
So, since my camera developed some kind of scratch or chip in the lens, Russ went to Costco and got me a new Panasonic Lumix ZS19. I am not committed to it yet but am going to try it out for a few days and see what I think. The advantage is, it is just a newer model of what I already have so there is no real learning curve and the same battery fits so I will have a spare. It doesn’t have a lot of the special effects that some of the cameras have but I don’t use that stuff anyway. I can always add any effects I want in post production. I just want a good easy to use lightweight camera that I will carry with me and use.
I tried it out on my flowers tonight just to see what it could do. Unfortunately, my flowers, like myself, are beginning to show signs of old age. I tried to tell them all that sun would surely fade their beautiful youthful bloom but, sun-worshippers that they are, they didn’t listen to me. Now they are each day becoming more faded and wrinkled and brown. Sad, but true. Anyway, here are some of my blooms. How many can you name? Answers are at the end of the blog.
Okay boys and girls, here are the answers. I hope you didn’t cheat!!
1. Balloon flower
2. Mint
3. Hosta
4. Mint ( yup again, did I fool you?)
5. Ya got me!! I can’t remember so if anyone knows what this is, please let me know. It is a bush and it is perennial.
6. Star gazer lily
7. Star Jasmine (and its ant)
8. Yellow snap dragon
9. Pansy
10. Petunia
11. Geranium
12. Crocosmia (I hate this stuff – can’t get rid of it. My lawn guy did me a BIG favor and planted it for me in my garden without telling me, bless his heart!)
13. Martha Washington geranium
14. Calla lily
15. Violas
16. Snapdragon
17. Violas again!
18. Viola (I love these little guys)
19. Gladiolus
So there you have it. May you bloom where you are planted, or wherever the big wheels take you!
I like concrete and gravel...so much easier to maintain...and you don't have to replant any of it. We could put a nice wide gravel path all around the tree, and around the edge of the yard. We could even let the girls paint it any colors they wanted. That would work, wouldn't it?
ReplyDeleteSure, we can put planters on the concrete (or gravel). Let's make them waist high so I could weed them without bending over.
ReplyDeleteI love the colors! If those are sun faded they must have been brilliant when at their finest! I recognized many of them, but it's surprising how much I depend on the foliage as well as the flower to ID them. Lovely Photos!
ReplyDeleteI could look at flower photos all day...welted or not.
ReplyDeleteBoy are you two going to have a full house. What fun you will all have. You better get some boys in there for Russ. He may be spending lots of time outdoors.
"same battery fits" -- wow, that's great; doesn't usually work that way :-)))
ReplyDeleteLovely photos of the summer colors in your garden. Have fun with the grands.
Having a landscaping discussion with your wife on the blog.
ReplyDeleteHm.
No comment.
You wouldn't think we actually talk face to face when we have all these wondrous electronic gadgets, now would you??
DeleteI get cha! After having granddaughters for 12 days, finally time to blog and have a thought to myself!!!
ReplyDeleteHave fun granny.
Don't you wish they would share that energy with us?
DeleteEnjoy those grandkids!
ReplyDeleteI went directly to the answers, no sense in straining my brain.
ReplyDeleteI think no.5 is a hibiscus.
ReplyDeleteNope, it's much smaller than a hibiscus and those don't grow very well in this cold and wet Pacific NW. The blossoms are more stalk-like, although it doesn't show in the picture.
DeleteI'm with Shoeless - I have no idea what flowers are what. I do love to see pictures of them and also in yards and deserts and mountains and wherever. But I don't want to take care of any of them. And I would be the one locked in the bathroom. Do you suppose that's because I only had one child and I don't have any grandchildren yet?
ReplyDeleteI love flowers...someone else's ...hate the weeding...rick does that for me...can never name them I just call them all 'pretty'....enjoy those grands sounds like you will be busy busy...you will need a vacation when they all leave..:) They sure zapped the energy out of us when we have ours but wouldn't trade our time with them for the world...
ReplyDeleteHave fun with the grandkids. I know you will. It's wonderful memories in the making for them and for you ... even though you all might want to pull your hair out at times. We know.
ReplyDeleteYour new camera is going to get a good workout with all the grands around. If the flowers pics are any indication it's a keeper!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on the new Canon Mirrorless - it's a nice camera alright but not for me, right now.
I'm pretty much a confirmed point-and-shooter!
enjoy the invasion of your lovely grands!!.. I am sure the water will be splashing in the pool!!
ReplyDeleteYour flower pictures are great. I didn't know the names of most of them, but I'm glad that you do.
ReplyDeleteNow that's the kind of invasion that I would enjoy! I can imagine how tired you will be at the end of the ten days, though! ;)
I named them all...Suzy, Molly, Polly,Dolly, etc...new cameras are always fun! Did you shoot the teens?
ReplyDeleteI'm about to!!!
DeleteI'm sure your new camera will get a good workout with all the Grands visiting over the next week or so.
ReplyDeleteGood choice on the new camera - if the flower pics are any indication, it's a real keeper.
Donna, I'm pretty certain it's mallow. About 3-4 feet tall/wide? I really enjoy your writing keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteYES!! I looked it up and that is exactly what my plant is. Thank you - btw, who are you, my helpful friend??
DeleteOh my goodness! What beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing them.
ReplyDeleteCandy