October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Whew, nice day but tiring

Well, the girls finally rolled out of bed about 9:30 this morning…that’s a tad early for them but I promised them a drive out to the lake so they made the effort!!  We are trying so hard to keep Poppy healthy for as long as we can and any walking helps to control her diabetes.  We try to take her to places she enjoys so she will get some exercise.

We visited Fern Ridge Reservoir today, locally known as Fern Ditch.  It is a large, shallow lake and the water is nowhere near as clear as the other bodies of water in the area.  The wind blew yesterday and the waves on the shallow water really stirred up the dirt on the bottom.


Yup, that’s the lake water, ankle deep and almost can’t see anything!!
P1000053

It is a popular lake for boating though and this year they have a rental concession.

P1000160
Photo by Bekah.

Anna took this shot of a kayak against the backdrop of some of the many large sailboats in the marina.
P1000157

What a gorgeous day, blue skies, sunshine and just a few puffy clouds.

The girls paused on the footbridge long enough to pose for a picture.
P1000060

Grandpa and Poppy were bringing up the rear.
P1000063

Teenagers or not, these girls enjoy swings.  Secretly, I do too!!

P1000076
P1000080








Russ went and picked up the boys while I took the girls shopping for jeans at St. Vinnys (thrift store).

This used to be the swimming area for little tykes but over the last couple of years it has been let go and has become overgrown with weeds.

P1000125

But all the weeds and Queen Anne’s Lace, brings lots of ladybugs and the girls had fun playing with them.

P1000135

That’s Russ’s cane on the right trying to steady the bush so I can get a picture.  We’re very professional when it comes to nature photography!!

The windstorm yesterday blew junk all over the pool cover but Anna sprayed it off and Corbin scooped the leaves.
P1000164

Bekah and Brendan enjoyed swimming…
P1000169

…while Anna, enjoyed her iPod!
P1000180

Ya know, that pool is just a homemade concrete covered hole in the ground, but after looking at Fern Ditch this morning I am so glad we have it.  It may not be much but every kid in this family has spent time in that pool and every one of my grandkids can swim.  Keeps them outside and moving (most of the time!) and it’s a lot cleaner and warmer than the lake, and much safer than the rivers.

Tomorrow, two more girls get dropped off and then the fun really begins!!

13 comments:

  1. Well it sounds like you survived today with no ill effects.... keep us posted when the rest arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I have some outdated narcotics i can send you. I'd better email them - you don't have much time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm already worn out and I'm just looking at the pictures! But...Ohhhh... SO much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't mention that if you put a kid or for that matter a Grandpa in the pool for a day they keep cool and fresh and then sleep all night. Grands are such a Blessing from heaven , I only wish I will be able to stay around long enough to fully enjoy my youngest group that I have now. Be safe out there and tell the kid's to go easy on Russ & Poppy. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see the girls are trying out there photogenic eye. Nice photos, girls.
    I can't believe you did all that in one day. You two keep that up but time all the grandkids leave you will need a nice loooooong vacation. Enjoy the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe you might want to get your roller skates out so you can keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know about you, but wore me out. The girls are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are in for some fun and and a serving of exhaustion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like time with the grands! And I love to swing, too! I don't plan on ever growing up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy, enjoy ... they grow up way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you have a few budding photographers in the family - nice pics.

    I sure hope Russ is prepared for many, many trips to the grocery store once all the kids arrive. He better put a drop of lube on the fridge door too because it is probably going to get a workout.

    It's going to be a fun, but exhausting, few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very smart to work your way up to hosting all the teenagers. It truly does make me tired just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a fun day. Teens can be kind of fun for awhile. We used to have a pool, well, when we used to have the house that had the pool!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete