October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Happy 39th Anniversary

Thirty Nine Years is a long, long time;
It’s like being sentenced for a hideous crime…

Oh no, wait, rewind, that’s not what I wanted to say.  Thirty-nine years ago today, Russ and I stood in front of Rev. Huckleberry in Reno, NV and pledged our life and our love to one another.  Since we never felt sure the Rev. Huckleberry was for real, we repeated our vows aboard a cruise ship bound for Alaska on our 30th anniversary!  I’m still not sure so I think we should do it again next year for our fortieth.  Can I hear an “Amen?”

We’ve had some wonderful times together and we’ve weathered some rather severe storms through the years.  There were times when we didn’t think we would make it and times when we wanted to turn tail and run.  There have been sweet times and sad times and everything in between.  But through it all, we have remained together and faithful to one another.  Let me tell you, it gets sweeter with age.  You young’uns ain’t got nothing on us ha-ha!!! 

This is also the day when 16 years ago, our middle son and his chosen lady tied the knot – or had it tied by Russ.  Yup, Mr. Russ is a bona fide preacher man and can marry ‘em and bury ‘em.  We were actually flattered that the kids chose our anniversary to make their own vows and that they chose Russ to perform the ceremony.  Russ has married each of our sons and a couple of other relatives as well.  What can I say, he works cheap!!

josh and arwen wedding

This lovely couple, Josh and Arwen, has given us two wonderful granddaughters, Cailin and Emilie.  Arwen is a school teacher and Josh is an RN in the heart care center at our regional hospital.  Congrats on 16 years, you two.  Love you both.

We’ve changed a bit over the years.  Don’t know where the time went or how we got so old, so fast.  Somehow the sands of time have slipped through our fingers and I didn’t even know the hourglass was leaking.

wedding2 001

Three years ago, I made a video for Russ for our anniversary.  I’d like to dedicate it to him again here.  BTW, the reference to William and Carol is just us going by our middle names.

26 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute, congratulations on 39 years. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, I haven't even had breakfast and you've got me crying! That video was so touching, I loved it. Beautiful family and beautiful memories.

    Congratulations on your anniversary, and I hope you will have many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary, we are slowly catching up on you,boy time does fly when your having fun.Great post. Be safe out there and work on 40 now. Sam & Donna....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful tribute to your 39 years together! Happy Anniversary, Donna and Russ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh,Donna, that was truly lovely!! Made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful... you are so lucky to have found each other...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn, yes we are indeed blessed.

      Delete
  9. Happy Anniversary to all of you! This was really great reading Donna!

    John and Ellen
    connectedtothevinephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful, Donna. I wish you and Russ another 40--you are a great couple, and I'm very happy for you.

    I loved the 36th anniversary film. I'd never heard the music, before. Do you mind me asking the name of the song?

    So true how the sand slips through-so fast, and you're right--it just gets better as you "fit" together more each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song is by Stuart Hamblen and is called Tho Autumn's Coming On. Here's a link where Bill Gaither sings the song to Hamblen's widow.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDkEgoeoVjs

      Delete
  11. Donna, that was just so wonderful! Having met you two in person, that love is obviously real and strong and just shines through both of you! Thanks for the great video, it is so much fun seeing our friends as they were as young'uns!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hay russ & donna con grats on 39 big ones .keep them comming . love ya bro & sis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bro. We'll never catch you and Alice but we're going to keep trying.

      Delete
  13. Congrats on 39 wonderful years. It is rare to find folks who understand how to stick together. Wishing you a blessed celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sure know how to make me cry! What a beautiful tribute to your years together. Life sure can be good, can't it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just look at you two! It's your "Happy" anniversary, and Russ'es "Lucky" anniversary. Congratulations to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy anniversary to you both..may you have many more years of wedded bliss!!!..hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Anniversary! And many many more returns ... your love for each other is easily seen in your smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! What a story you have about getting married. BUT it took you 30 years before you thought you might make it legal...what a hoot.

    Love the pictures, especially your wedding day. I really do like your dress, Donna. Green is your color.

    Wishing you at least 39 more Blessed years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post, Donna. Happy Anniversary to you and Russ - 39 years - must have been married at birth, I guess!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful video. Happy Anniversary to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy, happy anniversary! How wonderful that you have something fun to celebrate after such a rough couple of months. Enjoy your special day and go make some more memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, personally I think you should live in your RV for the year to celebrate your 40th! It was just awesome for us to travel around last year and we've been talking recently about how fun it was and that we should do it again!

    Congratulations all around your family!!!

    ReplyDelete