October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Vandalized?!?!


I am heartsick!  We were going to wash Therapy this afternoon and get her ready to go on a short trip.  I went out to pull her out of her little house and saw what I thought was a spider web across her windshield.  As I got closer I could see it was a big crack going right across the drivers side of the windshield.

P1010380

It appears that a rock or a BB hit the outside rim of the windshield and resulted in the large crack.

P1010387

You would think that sitting back from the road and under cover Therapy would be relatively safe, but I guess not.  She has been sitting there for about 2 weeks without moving and neither  the chip nor the crack were there when we put her away.  She was getting dusty and that is why we were going to give her a bath.

P1010385

This is not the first time something like this has happened.  About a month ago, our often beaten mailbox was finally totally removed from its post and disappeared.  It was three days before a neighbor several streets over figured out where it belonged and returned it to us.  It had been dumped on his front lawn.

These types of incidents are so totally senseless.  There is nothing to be gained by the perpetrator but they know nothing will happen to them so why not?  The police likely will not even take a report.  We didn’t even call in about the mailbox but if kids are allowed to get away with random vandalism, they only become emboldened to try for even bigger crimes in the future.

It was about two years ago when my daughter was here visiting.  She was getting loaded up to go home and had placed her camera in her car on the seat.  She locked the car and came back in the house.  When she went back out a few minutes later, her camera was gone and this is what she found:
merrys car 003

merrys car 005

Now in this case they got something good…a brand new DSLR camera worth about $1800.  Her insurance bought her a new camera and the police eventually recovered her old one.  It was a burglary ring operating in the area and they are now in jail.

We live right next door to a primary school.  One of the reasons we cut down the arborvitae along the driveway was to eliminate the hiding places and short cut kids would take through our property.  For all we know, kids might have been walking through the carport throwing rocks at each other.  Or someone could have been driving by and shooting a BB gun.  No way to tell.

So Monday we call the insurance and perhaps the police and see where we go from here.  I am angry and disgusted but I will not let this get me down (except for today!).  We will carry on, do what needs to be done to fix the problem and go on from there.  It’s really a small problem in the big scheme of things – it’s the senselessness that bothers me.

It just goes to show…no matter how hard you try, you cannot protect yourself from every eventuality.  So do the best you can and don’t worry about the rest and above all…HAVE FUN!

26 comments:

  1. Donna, doesn't it make you want to put your hands around their necks?

    We went through the mailbox replacement years ago. I don't know how many we went through.

    Boy if I ever caught one of my kids doing something like that, not only would we pay for it, but my kid would be doing your lawn and any chores you needed for a whole summer!

    As you said, though, it's a small in the big scheme of things. Hope your insurance fully covers it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well that just sucks,I just don't understand senseless vandalism . I hope it isn't a hassle with your insurance company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry -- hope the insurance takes care of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never understood vandalism. It is such a stupid act. Hope you get the windshield taken care of without any hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As another blogger said today-you just cannot fix stupid!

    You can really only hope for some poetic justice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry about the vandalism!..geesh..the only real loser in this is your wallet!..darn people..no respect for anyone else's property!!..hang in there..onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so rotten!!! For one person to prey on another...

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very sad....kids today have way too much time on their hands...We raised five kids and they were taught respect...for everyone and everything...hope its not a big holdup for your repair..so sorry you have to experience this...

    ReplyDelete
  9. are you sure it wasn't a piece of that satellite???

    sorry... I just wanted to make you smile!!! That sure stinks! Hope you have a smaller deductible than we do!!! Our big ol' hunk of glass got a crack in it in our driveway from hail before we even ever got to use our motorhome!!!

    Hope it gets all taken care of soon and without any glitches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That stinks! It's easy enough to get windshield cracks the "normal" way--to have it be done by vandalism is terrible. I hope that your insurance will cover the damage. It's a good idea to report it to the police because they may be keeping a file on other damaged property in your area, at least that's what our neighborhood watch group tells us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vandals are just about the most despicable criminals . The bad part is they are often kids form affluent homes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know what to say except I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the fact that you live right next door to a primary school is a good indication of where your vandalism is probably coming from. I was a young boy once with a lot of other young boys and know very well about BB guns, sling shots, rocks, windshields and the senseless vandalism that went on. Not nearly as bad then as nowadays but it's a senseless stage of life so many young people unnecessarliy go through. We are very fortunate where we live in that it is an 'Adults Only' community. As a rule, 'no kids equals no vandalism'. Like you, I would have been very upset about that windshield damage as well. Especially suspecting where it came from and the fact it can happen again at any time!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to agree with Al it still to bad things like this have to happen to good people.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry this happened to you.

    As someone else noted the parents of kids that do this need to step up to the plate.

    Years ago when my grandson was about 14 he and a friend broke windows from an abandoned building. He was caught. My daughter forced the issue and he did community service. She had to pay the owner of the property for the damage. One month later the building was demolished. Grandson had to get an after school job and pay her back. More parents need to act in this manner. Taught him a lesson for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My old Dad used to tell me that "When I was a kid, we used to think about doing the same kinds of things today's kids are doing. But we just THOUGHT about it, didn't do it." Of course, he grew up in a very small town where everybody knew everybody else's kids, and anyone found vandalizing anything would have received a tongue lashing from the one who caught him, and then a major paddling when his parents were told about it! Now nobody knows anybody else, even the neighbors across the way, and heaven forbid we should "get involved."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well that really sucks. Hope that the insurance will pay for it. I blame a lot of the vandalism on our justice system, especially with younger kids/teens. They get a slap on the hand, there is no punishment for bad behaviour.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope Oregon is like Florida. They require cracked windshields to be replaced with no deductible.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't know what the law is in OR, but in FL, insurance companies cannot apply the deductible against windshield replacement since it is a major safety item.
    Might look at your policy.

    Last year, one of our solar panels was shattered by either a bullet that had been fired into the air or a rock thrown off a highway overpass. Don't know which. It was nothing that a $1,000 couldn't fix. Such is life. :-)

    Cheers:
    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so sorry this has happened to you guys!! It is truly senseless!! I think Al got it spot on with what might have happened.
    Hope you get it fixed up without any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very annoying and such a hassle to get it fixed now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That really sucks Donna. And the fact that it has happened more than once must be so frustrating. I hope at least that the insurance/repair process goes smoothly and easily.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That stinks. I would report it, in case it's a rash of events; in that case the police might be more vigilant in your neighborhood.

    My son was involved in a cracked huge plate glass window when he was a teenager. His father paid half and I paid half, but I collected my half from my son over time. I forget if he was working at the time, or if I extracted it in labor. I felt bad (like parents usually do), because there were extenuating circumstances and the store owner was an *hole anyway, but I hoped it would be worth the $$ in life lesson. He's 25 and not in prison, so maybe ... ?

    Sorry to make that about me. My bigger point is go ahead and report it. My smaller point is to agree with those who say it may be covered 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Back from our trip and catching up, and what a bummer!!! Just a warning, my post titled "vandalized" still receives many hits per day, is my most read post, even though I wrote it almost a year ago. I don't understand this kind of behavior at all, but am even more troubled by what kind of traffic the title stimulates.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sorry about your windshield. Luckily you have insurance, and they'll cover it. Those windshields are quite expensive. I hope the kids or whoever did that will eventually be caught.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Senseless destruction ... what pleasure anyone gets from doing such things is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete