October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Monday, October 17, 2011

♫Blue Skies…♫…Nothing But Blue Skies ♫ ♪


It’s been wonderful weather here in Eugene for the last couple of days…and it’s supposed to stay that way all week…Yippee!

We survived our trip to Portland and our stay in a (gasp!!) hotel, all without incident and without bedbugs!  We had a wonderful suite at the Marriott Residence Inn.  It had a main room with sofa and chair, computer desk, dining table and chairs and a full kitchen…including frig with ice maker, dishwasher, and full sized electric range.  Off this room was a vanity area/dressing room and from there, a bathroom and a separate bedroom.   It was really very spacious and comfortable. 

Before we brought the luggage in, we inspected the room thoroughly using flashlights and picking up couch pillows, bed linens and even the mattress!  I have to admit that one of the reasons we got back into RVing is my pathological fear of bedbugs.  Here’s a few photos of the room.  You’ll notice the bed is a little messy from us pulling it apart for inspection!  Still a very nice place and if you find yourself in need of a room for a night or two, I highly recommend the Marriott Residence Inn, Cascade Station.  Great breakfast too.



We had a great visit with family and even watched part of the Duck football game with (son) John and Joni.  We got tired and went back to the hotel and watched the rest and the Ducks won again – even with a substitute freshman quarterback.  GO DUCKS!!  All the family in Portland is doing fine and we enjoyed our visits.

Back in Eugene we are taking advantage of the wonderful fall weather to visit our favorite local areas.  We love to go out to the lake, even though it is drawn down quite a bit already for flood control.  It’s still a beautiful place to walk and the dogs love it there.  We saw several people with metal detectors walking around in the mud where the water had receded.  Apparently they find some “treasure” here every fall. 



We need a couple of frosty nights in order to get some really good color on the trees, but everything is starting to turn.  I just love the fall colors.

Today we went to Alton Baker Park, on the Willamette River.  This is another great park for walking, bike riding, duck viewing, and just enjoying the great outdoors.  It was nice to have the paved walkways.  Russ was having some trouble with his ankles today so he took his walker along to lean on.  It really helps when you’re in pain, and with diabetes, neuropathy pain can present a problem from time to time.  Anyway, we don’t let that stop us and here are some shots from Alton Baker Park.  In one of the pictures you will see a large white globe.  That represents the sun.  Scattered throughout the park and along the bike paths several miles from this park, are representations of all the planets.  They are spaced and sized proportional to the sun and it is fun to put these sizes and distances in perspective.  We aren’t very big out there in this great universe!



We also took a long drive around some of the back roads of Eugene.  We were looking for some more fall color.  We didn’t find anything any better than what we had already found, but it was a nice drive anyway.  I finally figured out I was probably dawdling along and enjoying the scenery a little too much, when I had to pull over to let a bike pass me – as in BICYCLE, not motorcycle!  In my defense, it was downhill and very narrow and curvy!  I was SIGHTSEEING!!

Still trying to figure out a fall trip while the weather is still nice.  I think we have some ideas!!

10 comments:

  1. I like the slide show. You are giving us a number of pictures without the post getting too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your slide shows, too. I liked seeing your hotel. I'll have to remember it in case I need to recommend some place near the airport. It's located only about 15 minutes from our house (hint, hint). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures today are outstanding. You seem to like the new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I wonder what the bicyclist thought when you pulled over to let them go by?? :)

    Great pics! Glad you had such a nice time even though you were in a hotel. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a really lovely time with lovely weather ... perfect fall outing IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much beauty and life to see, so little time to do it all. SO we all share our adventures in blog, so the rest of us can have at least a virtual adventure! Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like you are enjoying the fall weather!..picture perfect blue sky..gotta love it!!!
    hope Russ is back on his feet soon..minus the walker!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great slide shows! It's nice to have such perfect weather so late in the fall.

    Looks like you lucked out with your hotel choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, really dislike motels/hotels any more. Who would have thought it a few years ago!

    So nice you are enjoying the fine weather you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the slideshows! especially the one quacky mallard shot!!! cute! the solar system sounds interesting too...

    keep drivin' you sight see'r!!!

    ReplyDelete