by Russ (Donna is off today)
In light of all the recent “occupy” groups, we might as well add one more. All RV’ers should unite in support of this movement. In my estimate 99% of RV owners would rather occupy their RV than be stuck at home. I know I’m part of that 99% and you probably are too. Our RV’s are environmentally advanced with filtered water systems, self contained sanitation systems, solar powered batteries, etc. No other vehicle today offers such eco-friendly options.
As long as we get organized into a protest group, we can probably get a lot of free media coverage, which will serve to get the word out to other RV’ers who haven’t yet heard. Maybe we can get on TV, or maybe we can get our picture on the internet. We can make a cardboard sign, and a list of demands, too. Did you see Alaska… Occupy The Tundra…even had a list of demands.
I believe that we can all agree that one of our demands should be for equal treatment in public camping locations. In most places the “occupiers” are being allowed to camp in public locations while law enforcement and city leaders “negotiate” peacefully with them. We should be allowed to park our RV’s on the public streets, in public parks, and in all other public owned properties (State and National Parks?) without charge and without enforcement of any ordinances to the contrary. In order to justify this, all we should have to do is show our “Occupy RV’s” cardboard signs, and present our list of demands.
In most cases, there is some monetary support being provided for these groups, and we should demand the same thing. They are requesting donations of food and meals and even laundry services, and we sure could use all of that. Volunteers to provide computer support and internet access is certainly something we could all use.
In San Diego, they are seeking volunteers to donate RV’s that could be used for certain uses. If you don’t have an RV at the moment, you can join our movement and we’ll request that an RV be donated for your use. (see Occupy San Diego )
It appears that the timing of this movement is just right, too. Many RV’ers are getting ready to move from the cold northern regions to the warmer southern regions. That means we have some great locations to gather groups of “Occupy RV’s” supporters together. Imagine places like Quartzite, Yuma, Palm Springs, other sites in Southern California, many areas in Florida and Texas and other warm sunny places just covered with large groups of RV’ers!! It would be perfect!!
So, here’s what you need to do now. First, make a cardboard sign with OCCUPY RV’S written in large letters. Second, make up a list of demands. You can use the ones above, and add more as you wish. Then, get as many fellow RV’ers together in one place and make a big press release to the media, so we can get as much coverage as possible.
After that, we can get more volunteers for everything, get more organized, form committees, have meetings, you name it. This should make a huge impact!! Now, we need volunteers to start building a website.
Oh, by the way, any donations of money that might come in…make sure it gets sent to me.
OK Russ, sign me up, especially for the free RV. But first, I have a list of demands. If at all possible could you make it a 40 foot tag axle diesel pusher. Then it looks like I'll be needing some sort of lifetime fuel subsidy. In return, I'll tape my cardboard sign to the back window and drive around America spreading the message. Wonder if you'd mind throwing in Donna's enchilada recipe too.
ReplyDeleteCount me in as part of that 99% for sure:))
ReplyDeleteus too!..great post Russ!..Donna may have a run for her $$!!
ReplyDeleteSign us up too, but, as far as donations, take it out of my taxes please:)
ReplyDeleteI think you are on to something there. Put me on the list:)
ReplyDeleteToo funny, Russ! I'm with you on the Occupy RVs movement. But how about something unique for our group, like not demanding anything? Wouldn't that be different and make us stand apart? Maybe we wouldn't get much news coverage, though. ;)
ReplyDeleteYup, we are right behind you on this one. Personally, I would request free meals (of our choosing) and FHU sites with a great view.
ReplyDeleteOk, you can sign us up as well.
ReplyDeleteLove the post Russ!!
As Donna and I have been discussing, she knows what side of that fence I am on. I'll be your John Hancock and signed very large and bold....The amount of money st louis is spending on trash clean up and extra police for the occupy stl I could retire in style and never have to touch a dime of savings....
ReplyDeleteI dont agree w/ Alan about taking donations out of my taxes....cause one of my demands would be NO TAXES for RVer's
:-)
Donna w>of Sam & donna
You've got my vote!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm in...do you still accept paper money? LOL, actually that part is really crazy to me.
ReplyDeleteK
Seriously,do you listen to Lindsey Willams' economic predictions?
Can those of us who already occupy our RV (full time) sign up? I'm always a day late and a dollar short so maybe I'm too late.
ReplyDeleteAs a full-time RV occupier, I worry about too many "new occupiers" getting the word about what a great life this is. I don't want my beautiful, free desert boondocking site occupied, so it must remain a secret...lol! Great job, you guys!!
ReplyDeleteSign us up too! The only demand we would make is that we should be allow to park on any public land. We all pay taxes, so don't we own part of it? That's another reason we like Mexico, they don't care where you park, for the most part.
ReplyDeleteKevin and Ruth
www.travelwithkevinandruth.com