October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Saturday, October 29, 2011

FREE Library Card!!!

Why am I excited about this???  Because, I am currently reading my first FREE library book since 1976!  That is when we moved to this house and out of the Eugene City limits.

Since we are outside of the city, we have to pay for a library card.  We have done that from time to time but it has become so expensive that we just felt it wasn’t that great a deal.  The non-resident card is now $65 for 6 months.  If we’re traveling much of that time, it just makes no sense to pay that for a library card.

We recently got our property tax statements in the mail.  Along with the house, we own a vacant lot in the city of Veneta, about 15 miles from Eugene.  I looked at the tax statement and noticed a line item for the Veneta library!  Hmmmm, library tax should equal free library card, right?  Russ called and sure enough we qualify for a free library card.

We got our cards on Friday.  Now driving 15 miles to go to the library might seem a bit extreme but what I REALLY wanted was access to eBooks. Library books in the Kindle format recently became available and I have been anxious to try out this service.   This is invaluable when we are on the road.

library to goI got home and downloaded my first eBook from the Veneta library.  It worked so easy – no hassle at all.  I am SOOO excited!  Of course, most of the books have a wait time but so what.  I’ll get on the list and read them as they become available.  The eBook data base, Library2Go, is the same as for the larger Eugene library so I haven’t lost anything by going with the smaller library.


I love to read (when I have a chance!) and I have been disappointed in the cost of Kindle books from Amazon.  So tonight, I’m a happy camper…I just wish I was out camping somewhere other than the driveway!!

**************************************************************
Russ has had serious hearing problems for a number of years. He wenthearing aid to the doctor and the doctor was able to have him fitted for a set of hearing aids that allowed Russ to hear 100%. He  went back in a month to the doctor and the doctor said, 'Your hearing is perfect.. Your family must be really pleased that you can hear again.'

Russ replied, 'Oh, I haven't told my family yet. I just sit around and listen to the conversations. I've changed my will three times!'

21 comments:

  1. thanks for the smile tonight!!..good job on the downloading free books..I really need to see if our local (one block away) library has ebooks for my Kobo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got a real hearing aid story. My Dad was hard of hearing. So my brother and I bought him a set of hearing aids at a cost of about $3,000. He wore them faithfully for about a month then less and less. I fussed with him about not wearing them.

    One night he was at our house and clearly was have trouble hearing. I saw he had his hearing aids in. I had to loudly ask him why he was having problems. He said he knew I would be upset if he didn't wear them but the batteries were dead.

    I am wanting a Kindle for Christmas. Time to start dropping the hints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, are you in or out of the will this week?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have lived a sheltered life-never heard of having to pay for a library card.

    That is a really cute story about the hearing aids:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy-oh-boy! If $3000 would buy me hearing aids that would bring me back to 100% hearing, I'd jump at 'em! It's a real bother, even with what I'm wearing, that I can't hear well. I've recently been hearing an annoying scritchy whistling noise. Suzy tells me it's a lovely bird song, but to me it's an irritating noise. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHA! That's hilarious! And, hurray!

    I've noticed that my stepfather has been wearing his "ears" more and more the longer we've been here. I think he knows we three women talk about him if he doesn't. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, I'm so happy to read the news about your new library card. I treasure my library card. We're not in the city limits of Vancouver, but we still have access to the Fort Vancouver library system. In addition, through that system, we get to have free access to Multnomah County libraries. That's where we get our e-books from the Library2Go system. Love it, love it!! I have hundreds of books on my library "wish list", so it's always easy to find something to read. We can also download those same e-books to our Droid smartphones as well as to my Nook.

    Hilarious hearing story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great on the library card - funny on the hearing aid.
    Thanks for joining my blog, I'll do the same here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess it is time for me to go check out my local Klamath library! Thanks for writing about this, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the chuckle ... not hearing is a "husband" thing you know :-)))))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never heard of having to pay for a library card! Seems outrageous! But I'm happy you finally got a free one and will be able to get the books on your reader! I'm trying to remain "old school" about the readers and sticking with real books, which we purchase at used book stores. But I'm beginning to fear that someday those may become extinct with the readers!!!

    Hubs has major hearing issues ~ artillery ~ and has hearing aids, but they're not all that great! Was your story true, or a joke telling at Russ' expense??? I have heard that joke before!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny story about Russ' hearing. I had an uncle who used to tune my aunt out regularly. ;-)

    Glad about your library card. You might want to look into this site for your Kindles, as well.
    http://kindlenationdaily.com/

    Thanks for the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll have to see if our library has free ebooks. Thanks for the tip. I might have to buy a Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You guys are too funny, what a hoot! Come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gotta love a "free" library card! When I showed hubby how easy & awesome it is he couldn't believe how much money we'd save not having to buy the books any longer. Not to mention the clutter of storing them.

    I'm sure a kindle or nook will be on the must have list in the future.

    Poor Russ *giggle giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  16. For some unknown reason I never read anything when we are home for the summer but when on the road my nose is in a book as often as not. Kelly looks after the library card thing while we are traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy reading! Your story made me smile too.
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the little hearing bit at the end. Too funny!

    I don't think we would have been buying a library card either at $65 for six months. Glad you have free access to the library now.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the hearing aid story cute ending. We don’t have an E Reader yet; I may check out the Nook I see Russ likes his. Seems so much easier then having to return the books. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post! BTW, I download library books to my computer and transfer them to an MP3. I can listen through ear buds or plugged into my iHome stereo speaker system that I got cheap at Walmart.

    But you can also play them right from your iPad or laptop. You could both listen while you're driving.

    ReplyDelete