October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Rock On!

Okay, here’s the post I promised a few days ago.  We left John Day and made our way to the Madras area of central Oregon.  Once again Sam (our GPS) tried her best to kill us by getting us off onto dirt roads leading to nowhere.  But we are smarter than that by now.  She can’t put that one over on us again, no siree!  We knew where we were going and how to get there.  I just had Sam turned on so she could have a panic attack when we didn’t follow her directions.  Take that, Sam.  Sam and I have a real love/hate relationship going on.

The highway between John Day and Madras is a beautiful drive.  The John Day River is in evidence along the road and the hills mountain formations are always interesting.

P100086a5

I had looked up the John Day Fossil Beds before we set out but could not find any information that told about parking at the visitor’s centers.  I was concerned that we might get in a tight spot and have to un-hitch to get out so we didn’t stop at any of them this time.  However, I did write a letter to the National Park Service suggesting that they put RV parking information on their website.  Imagine my surprise when I got a very nice reply stating that was a good suggestion and they would see what they could do to make it happen!  Sure hope they follow through.

P1000852

This did seem to be a journey through time, as the sign says.  The ancient rocks and mountains and the river flowing alongside, made me think about how long these things have been here.  I don’t know for sure, but I think they are older than I am!!

As we climbed to the top of yet another ridge and saw nothing but mores hills and mountains in the distance, I wondered what the early settlers thought when they first viewed these same scenes.  Were they discouraged that they had yet another mountain to climb or were they excited at the prospect?  I imagine there was a little of both of these feeling, along with a big dose of just plain weariness.  Rugged people, those.

P1000889a

Anyway, our destination was actually the KOA in Culver, about 7 miles south of Madras.  I know, no real RVer ever wants to stay at  a KOA but I was really needing an internet fix and a place to stay put for a few days while doing some exploring – and some laundry!  We had stayed at this KOA in August and found it quite satisfactory.  It was a lot quieter now, but they were finished with ice cream socials and pancake breakfasts Sad smile.  Anyway, I like this park and the people who run it.  It is a rural setting and very quiet at night.  We had an end spot and a great view of the fields and horses across the street.  I would recommend this KOA to anyone staying in the area.

P1130662a


P1000964a

We had seen a sign for  Richardson Rock Ranch, 11 north of Madras on Hwy. 97 and so we decided to visit.  This is one of those places where you can dig your own thunder eggs and agates.  They also have a rock shop and museum.  They said the road was paved to the shop and office but the digging beds were on unpaved roads of 6-8 miles from the ranch.

We took the paved road, which a mile from their ranch, turned into a dirt/gravel road.  It was not smooth going!  Our poor little Fit jumped and rattled but got us there in one piece.
You have never seen so many rocks in one place in all your life!  There were buckets and barrels and tables and corrals of rocks.  More were piled on the ground and there were huge piles of the biggest chunks of petrified wood I have ever seen.

richardson rock shop

Interesting place but there is NO WAY I am going to rumble over 8 miles of gravel road just to dig my own rocks.  Miss Fit said “NO.”  We didn’t buy anything but we enjoyed looking.  They also had quite a few peacocks roaming around and two emus inside an enclosure.

P1130528a

P1130529a









On the way back to the highway, Russ wanted to stop several times and snap a few pictures.

P1130534a

P1130548a

Looks like someone is gonna have to fix that thar fence!

P1130544a

Next we take a trip to see the Crooked River and Lake Simtustus.  That’s where the scary road comes in!

12 comments:

  1. I have wanted to go dig rocks at Richardson Ranch for a long time. we will know for sure to park elsewhere and take the Tracker. Baby car can climb trees if needed. LOL glad you got into the mode to write about all of this. Loved reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures of what i now know is 'rabbit brush'!!! You are right near my area! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you guys are having a great time. Wish we could have met up when I was in Oregon, but really, I was there less than two whole days . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good tour, Donna, and good pictures. We skipped Richardson Rock Ranch this time, but I've been there before--the store, not the eight miles of unpaved roads. Polished thunder eggs are fascinating to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Mui sometimes deviates from Ms GPS's instructions just to give her a hissy fit. Thanks for sharing another interesting site to add to our list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure what the connection is between rocks, peacocks and emus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the pictures and I am with you on digging rocks. Here in Indiana we have plenty of our own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You took some beautiful pictures! I know what you mean about the GPS - although we haven't named ours yet. Have a safe trip!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for showing us all the interesting places in Oregon besides the beautiful coastline! Lots of variety and beautiful scenery everywhere.

    As an RVer I've never minded staying at KOA's because I know what to expect and normally I'm quite happy with them. They usually have better than average free wifi and the facilities are o.k. too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your photos. Really nice. I call my GPS Minnie and find myself yelling at her often ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great pictures today, Donna!..as for Koa's we stay in them...nothing wrong with them...at least they are consistent!.. a bit pricey but ok still the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rugged, indeed!

    Love the leaning fence photo!

    Thanks for the tour!!

    ReplyDelete