While we were having breakfast, Poppy decided she needed a nice cozy den and so she managed to wiggle around and get down on the floor of the front passenger seat. It was tight but she liked it! Yes, she was able to extricate herself without help.
We took off headed for Fernley but saw many interesting sights on our journey. Our journey today was so enjoyable. I told Russ I feel like seeing things I have never seen before somehow makes me appreciate life and feel more alive. There is an odd excitement that comes from being able to say, “I am somewhere I have never been before, seeing something that is totally new to me.”
These are the sights we observed on our way out of Mina. I have never seen such a sad state of disrepair as I have seen in Nevada. It is everywhere. I am not casting aspersions on these folks…I don’t know their story. Perhaps it is the lack of employment, perhaps the collapse of the mining industry, illness, or other misfortune. But it just seems so pervasive.
Hawthorne is the next town of any significant size. I didn’t realize the military connection to Hawthorne, but it is a big one. As we began to near Hawthorne, we started seeing hundreds of humps of earth, which upon closer inspection, appeared to be some kind of bunker.
We immediately went into conspiracy theory mode and started thinking of all the ways those bunkers could be connected and what they might mean. Roads into the hills became secret paths into the center of the mountains. Those mountains could hold anything, from secret weapons to space ships. The Alien Highway is in Nevada somewhere. There could also be underground tunnels, secret hiding places for military or government officials, testing facilities for space aliens…it boggles the mind. This is a fiction writers PARADISE. The ideas just rolled off our tongues faster than we could spit them out.
There were also big buildings which we theorized were storage facilities for bombs and other explosive devices.
The possibilities are endless…you decide! I do know we got a little spooked when we started seeing signs advising motorists that they could not bring explosive devices into town…and then we saw signs advising which way to go if you were hauling hazardous material! Watch the slide show for more on Hawthorne.
At the outskirts of Hawthorne is a nice RV park called Whiskey Flats. We had other plans for tonight but it did look like somewhere we could spend a night.
And for those of you who remember the photo of Rusty with his nose in the air vent hyperventilating at the start of our adventure, I am happy to report he has settled down nicely and now sleeps most of the trip with only occasional looks out the window.
As you leave Hawthorne, you are on the shores of Walker Lake. Many have theorized that the military conducts secret tests on experimental submarines in this lake. The lake used to be 500’ deep but it sure looks like it is shrinking.
As we got closer to Fallon, the landscape began to change. Suddenly there were green fields, and cattle, and nice houses. Apparently there is a reclamation project in Fallon that has turned it into a little oasis in the middle of the desert. This is where I found the nicest Wal-Mart I have ever been in. On the outskirts of Fallon we stopped at the county fairgrounds and had a nice lunch in Therapy. Donna’s Deli was the order of the day and boy oh boy, does she make a mean sandwich…on Original Sheepherder Bread no less. YUM!
Camping is available at the fairgrounds…$7 for boon docking and $12 for water and electric. I would not hesitate to stay here for an overnight, but we had other plans for tonight.
From Fallon, it was only about 25 miles to our destination for the night, Desert Rose RV Park in Fernley, NV. Since it is right before you get to Fernley, I can’t tell you much about the town but the park is great. Although it is right on the highway, they have a concrete block wall that acts as a sound barrier. You could definitely hear the road but it was not overly obnoxious. This is a nice CLEAN park with concrete pads and grass at every site. There are two rows of pull-throughs and back in slots at the outside edges. The sites are not overly long so if you are driving a big rig and pulling a toad, you would likely need to unhitch to fit into a space.
The facility itself is great. No picnic tables or fires but there is an excellent club house with laundry, games room and the best shower rooms we have seen. There are about 50 cable channels if you like TV and internet is included but it is a bit on the slow side. I am wondering if I will be up all night uploading this blog!! Watch the slide show for more information. The cost was $31.65 with an Escapees discount and a $2 charge for the dogs. Internet in included. They also honor 50% off Camping Club and Passport America…gonna have to look into that.
And so ends another exciting and wonderful day in our journey in Therapy.
Looks like a great day with plenty of sights to see,Hope you have a Happy Easter. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna....
ReplyDeleteGoodness, the slide show bug has really bitten you, Donna! Great tool. Desert Rose is our destination for two weeks after a week in Carson City. We'll cast about from there for sightseeing, including the occasional trip back to Carson City to visit our great grandson! When we first bought our motorhome, we had it delivered to us in Reno, and it lived for three months and a day at Desert Rose, so we could register it in Texas rather than in California. We took advantage of a loophole to save a bundle!
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting post -- that is what's so good about RV'ing -- going & seeing new places & learning about our country. Since hubby is retired AF, he says East of Hawthorne, Hwy 95 and 6 skirt the perimeter of Nellis AF Range. As you know, Hawthorne Army Depot is at Hawthorne, so the bunkers are probably munition storages. Fallon Naval Air Station is north of Hawthorne. Again, East of Hawthorne is Tonopah and is used by Nellis AFB to conduct training. Hwy 375, going South from Hwy 6, is the extra-terrestrial highway. If you should travel that route, he says keep your eyes open for a triangle object flying across the sky -- that's the popular UFO everybody sees:) Groom Lake, just off of 375, is near Area 51, but don't get too close:( We gotta get West so we can see all these places:) But for now, we're seeing them thru your eyes...be safe & enjoy!
ReplyDeletePoppy - underneath that dash is really a great place to build a nest. My girls sure like it.
ReplyDeleteGreat slides. We drove that route last year and really enjoyed ourselves. Hope to do it again before too long.
We saw those bunkers as well as we followed the same route you are on last month, even to the night at Desert Rose. We enjoyed that little park, especially the friendly owner. Our cat Jeremy loves that under the driver seat position when it's too hot to lie on the dash when we are parked. Are you coming back to Oregon? where to next?? I really enjoy your blog.
ReplyDeleteI am sure the real story of the bunkers would not be that exciting. We saw a lot of run down places in the southwest, in general. Like you, I do not know the reason, but it does have a depressing air about it.
ReplyDeleteJerry..blame Rick...he had to go and do a post on slide shows!! It's all his fault.
ReplyDeleteThanks Marilyn for the factual info on the Hawthorne area...but you know they never tell the military guys the whole truth. Only Mulder knows for sure and he went off the air. Now who am I going to believe?
Chuck and Anneke...the real story?? Who wants to know the truth when you can believe a good conspiracy theory LOL??
Malone...we'll be heading back to Oregon in a week or so. Probably going up I-5 but might take 97 and go thru K-Falls and on up through Bend if the weather is nice.
Thanks all for your comments and for putting up with my silliness!
Insert theme for Twilight zone :-))))
ReplyDeleteGosh, you guys saw a lot today. I love the photo of Poppy snuggling in front of the seat. You uploaded a lot of text and photos, so the Internet must have been okay. Great photos!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the photos on the facilities
ReplyDeleteGreat post. You've gone slide show crazy! That's good, I enjoyed looking at every one of them.
ReplyDeleteyou are the 'star pupil' when it comes to slideshows!!..good for you!!!
ReplyDelete