October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Friday, April 29, 2011

Back at Home and A Fallen Hero

Just wanted to thank all of you for your most enjoyable comments on my blog last night.  I had a great time reading about how all of you do tater salad and dawgs and burgers.  Seems like everyone has their own special way…and isn’t that how it should be?  How boring if we were all alike…but really, MIRACLE WHIP??? Oh my, that’s almost sacrilegious (just kidding)!!

We spent the night at 7 Feathers RV Park last night – just too tired to make it all the way home.

As we neared our exit from I-5 to home, we noticed an extraordinary amount of traffic.  Then we noticed the exit ramps to  one of the main thoroughfares were blocked.  We spotted two helicopters low in the sky…unusual for Eugene.  As we passed under an overpass decked with flags, I remembered.

Last week one of Eugene’s finest lost his life for no good reason…but then there never is a good reason, is there?  Officer Chris Kilcullen had pursued a vehicle that had ran a red light.  He finally caught up with the female driver and pulled his motorcycle alongside.  She took out a gun and shot him point blank.  WHY???  Apparently there is some instability in her life but I do not understand how ANYONE could behave in such a manner.  I did not know the  officer but I grieve for him, for his family, and for our community, that such a tragedy could occur.

So today was the Celebration of Life and processional honoring Officer Kilcullen.  Although this is a tragedy beyond understanding, I am heartened to see the community come together to honor this fallen hero.  Everyday there are men and women who put their lives on the line to protect and serve, not only in our cities, but our military men and women as well.  Honor them and thank them any chance you get.
 
Political considerations aside. we all owe a debt of gratitude to these brave individuals.  Who would have thought a traffic stop would mean death for a young father and husband?  The potential for danger is there anytime one of these public servants do their job.  I am glad at least, that most people nowadays honor those who serve rather than treat them the way we treated out Vietnam vets.  God Bless and be with the family of Officer Kilcullen and all who serve.


In other news…upon arriving home we found things in good shape.  We only had 14 messages on the phone (I thought everyone knew we were gone!) and our held mail was slightly under half a ton!!

P1020935

I was a little disappointed that our rhodies and azaleas were not in bloom yet, but I guess the weather had something to do with that!  Just too dang cold.  Some of my other perennials are looking good…the Columbine, is in full bloom, the peonies are looking good and have some HUGE blossoms, most of the hostas are looking good, but one has been the all day buffet for the slugs!  Gonna have to take care of that little matter – it’s an ongoing battle here.
garden

So we will spend a couple of days cleaning up and unloading and reloading then it’s off to see kids and grands in Portland for a couple of days.

P.S.  Just decided to listen to the phone messages before I forget.  The reason there were so many messages is Russ’s former mother-in-law (whom we have sorta adopted) fell and broke her hip while we were gone.  She was 88 on the 27th of April.  She is in a re-hab facility right now and we will have to help her make some decisions about her long term care and housing.  This will not be easy.  Prayers would be appreciated if you are so inclined!

Thanks all and good night.

15 comments:

  1. Dealing with our older relatives (adopted or not) is always so hard. And shortly it will be us in their shoes. Definitely prayers will be said for both her and you as you all deal with this new development in her life.

    Have fun with the kids and grands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you in appreciating our military and police and firemen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My nephew is a Wisconsin State patrol officer. I respect the danger they all face every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too appreciate those who put their lives on the line for us every day. How someone could point-blank or otherwise shoot another human being is beyond me! Dealing with an older relative can be difficult -- will be praying for guidance for all. Take care & enjoy the kids/grands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's pretty tragic, but if 'unstable' people are walking, or driving, around with guns, chances are they're going to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ditto what Rick said!..darn people..such a tragedy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As the mother of a young, newly sworn-in WA State Patrol trooper, I really hate to hear news like this. How we take those folks for granted! Most of don't have jobs where each day we have to face being gunned down by a stranger. Kudos to our son and to all the other brave law enforcement professionals who are doing dangerous jobs each day.

    Sorry to hear about Russ's "adopted" mother-in-law's fall. My prayers are with her and with all of you who have to make some tough decisions.

    I'm glad you got home safely from your first big trip with Therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you made it home safely. Looking forward to (hopefully) catching up with you in Portland.

    Hope all goes well with Russ' former mother in law.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After a long 30 plus year career in Law Enforcement, I long ago realized I had gone to way to many funerals. The Metro St Louis area usually has about 6-10 officers killed each year,It doesn't take long before the list includes somebody you worked with, or rode to the Academy with, or had coffee breaks at the coffee shop with, or worked with on a Major Case with. Wish this wasn't the case but there is always someone out there that won't hesitate to harm a police officer.My prayers to are with his family and children.Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sad about that Police officer. Tragic and totally senseless. I hope that that woman gets the book thrown at her.
    You are so right, Police and Firefighters put their lives on the line to protect us every day. We can't do enough to honor them and their daily willingness to sacrifice.
    Tragic and senseless death. I feel for his family.

    Hostas are always good food for slugs. I had the same problem when I had my house last year. Slug food (the killing kind) helps. I think there is salt in it that makes them dehydrate from the inside out. eww.

    It's so hard to decide what to do about our elder family members when they can't do for themselves anymore. I'm sure you will come to the right decision for your situation.

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to see you home safely. Rumor has it we are in for a week of warm sunshine, even on the coast! The news of the fallen officer reached Klamath right away. All of Oregon is mourning. Thank you for writing about this tragedy so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sad about your hometown officer... Glad you arrived safely home though. Looks like it'll take months to go thriough that mail!!! LOL
    Have fun
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seems to be a lot of sadness in this old world today....take care and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear about the fallen hero in your community! It is incredible how some people have so many problems on their lives and end up affecting others. My deep condolenses. Hope that you are getting all settled back in and will definately keep my thoughts and prayers for Russ' former mother in law.
    Hope you have a wonderful week!
    All the best - Max Discount Car Insurance Expert

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stories like that just don't make sense. Sorry to hear about another tragic end to one of those who faithfully serve their fellow man.

    ReplyDelete