October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Another Lazy Dazy Day

We decided to take a day off from sight-seeing and miss some of the weekend crowds.  Made pancakes and bacon for breakfast – and yes, I know it’s not good for us but try telling my mouth that!  Best pancakes I have had in quite a while.  Then I cleaned Therapy and it took me a whole HOUR!  Takes me that long just to clean the kitchen at home.

Now I am sitting here playing on the computer and reading blogs and all I have to look at out my window is this:
P1020407
If it weren’t for those darned weekenders, the view would be even better!!  At least we have lots of open spaces around us. 

I have been reading about all the folks who are home now and starting to get their yards in shape for spring.  Rick and Paulette are settling back into their routine but Rick keeps finding excuses to keep from mowing the lawn.  Now his John Deere won’t start!  Why, when I was a kid, we PUSHED our lawnmowers…uphill… both ways!

The Bayfield Bunch are back in the swing of things, working in the yard and hauling off brush, except when Al succumbs to the comfort of that recliner.  Those recliners are a blessing and a curse.

Pidge and Don are busy finding geo-cache treasures in Northern Florida but are not happy about all the “No Dogs” signs.  I hear ya!!

Dave in Dod had a close encounter with a baby rattlesnake…but he also saw a cute little cottontail too.  I know snakes play an important role in nature, but I would rather not encounter one in person.

And I was glad to see that Sue found some nice camera equipment to take along on their planned journey to Alaska in July.

I enjoyed reading lots of other blogs but I guess I better quit being a repeater now!!  But about those flowers….I made a promise to Russ to NOT plant any flowers this year and we are even going to let a portion of our lawn go brown.  Hey, we live in Oregon, it will come back in the fall. 

So here are some of my flowers from previous years.  I don’t have any pictures from last year (DARN!).  Those are all at home on my desktop and I hadn’t copied them over to my portable hard drive.  So from years past…here are some of my blooms:

june 3 2009 001
Lupine


Begonia
Begonia

Cyclamen and begonia2
Cyclamen
 

5 20 07 005
A bunch of different plants!


5 20 07 001
Rhodies


5 20 07 010
Pansies


May 8, 2009 peonies and pups 012
Peony


backyard 045
A mish mash of blooms

Okay, that’s enough of that!  Two reasons we are not gardening this year.  One, we don’t want to be tied down to caring for a ton of flowers.  I have enough perennials to get by but I do love to plant annuals and flower baskets every year.  

Reason number two:  A couple of years ago, EWEB (Eugene Water and Electric Board) encouraged everyone to conserve resources, save water, and replace all their light bulbs with CF bulbs.  Eugene, being filled with aging hippies and college students, was up to the challenge.  As a group we answered the call and tried our best to save the planet.  Now, EWEB informs us that their revenue has dropped so much that they are going to have to raise rates!  Beginning next month, we will all be treated to a 10% rate increase, proving once again that no good deed goes unpunished. 

We have a well, but let the water rights revert to the city several years ago as it cost more for the electricity to run the well than what we saved on water!  Can’t win…

So enjoy my flowers from prior years cuz it ain’t happening this year!  We’ll see if I can keep my promise to Russ when we get back to Eugene and the sun is shining and I see all those bare spots in the flower beds.  Wish me luck…

And just one more “plant” shot that I took in Arizona in 2007.  And that’s
The End
Russ and cactus
They only let him out on short visits if he takes his medication first!

11 comments:

  1. Those darn weekenders! Once again you have me laughing out loud with the "end" shot! Beautiful, beautiful flowers...I love pancakes & bacon. Next time we're coming for breakfast too:) Take care & continue to enjoy your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We visited Oregon in spring two years ago and really enjoyed the Portland "rodie" garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your flowers! It's something I miss here on the east side of the mountains, no matter how hard I try, mine will never be that great, even with our own well and plenty of water. Then of course, there are the deer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd really like to know how come I'm always the "butt" of most of your jokes! I just do the things you tell me to. I'm too gullible! And you try to convince me you just enjoy taking my picture, HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But Russ, you are so photogenic--from all angles! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful flower pics! Read my blog tomorrow - no more excuses!!! I got old John Deere rolling today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. darn weekenders!..they call themselves RV'ers!..how dare they block your view!? :)
    enjoy the lack of flowers..just think of all the work you won't have to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We backed off all that annual flower stuff a few years ago & have gone the Perennial route. Finally got tired of all the maintenance on the flower end of things. If a plant or shrub is not self sustaining, we don't want it. Most of our house plants froze this past winter & we're not going to replace them. There comes a time for all of us when we have to get our green thumb priorities into a new order.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers no matter when they are from. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your sense of humor,,,,,,,AND YOU PICTURES TOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A day of lazing around in the motorhome sounds good to me ... plan to do that tomorrow so I can process all the photos I took today and write the blog. I've got to learn to cut way back on that shutter-clicking thing.

    ReplyDelete