However, as I left Disneyland after my last visit I had to admit that the magic was beginning to fade. The crowds, the noise, the screaming children, it all was beginning to get to me.
But it seems I have found another “Disneyland”; a magical place where my spirit can soar and my heart can dream. This magical place is not just a few gated acres, covered with asphalt and concrete. It is not a place that replaces nature with fantasy and tries to make you believe it is real. It is not a place that charges you hundreds of dollars just to get in the gate. This magical place is all around us. My magical place includes majestic mountains, quiet streams, roaring oceans, and sage covered desert. Today we visited a part of that magic place called nature, the part that is located in Lone Pine, California. This was our Disneyland Day. (Now, don’t you all go thinking I hate Disneyland, cuz I don’t!!)
We drove south on Hwy 395 from Bishop and normally this would provide a great view of the White mountains to the east and the Sierras to the West. Today, however, this was the view.
I’m not sure what was causing the haze but I have an idea. I heard on the news last night that there have been high winds in the Los Angeles basin for several days. I think those winds cleared out all the smog and blew it right into the Owens Valley!! Not too far-fetched. Some of it may be dust from the winds we had in this area yesterday, but today there was only a gentle breeze so that doesn’t really make sense. Whatever, it was still a wonderful day.
We stopped in Lone Pine for a tour of the Beverly and Jim Rogers Museum of Lone Pine Film History.
Thankfully, there was a vacant lot next door that provided a cool breeze and shade for the dogs while we went inside. This is the scene from that vacant lot.
So the dogs enjoyed the scenery and a nap while we visited the museum.
For $5, I think this is one of the best bargains around. Hundreds of movies were filmed in the Alabama Hills just west of Lone Pine starting with silent films in the early 1900s. This is a small museum but definitely worth the stop. I had to take a picture of one of the outfits on display that had belonged to my favorite cowgirl, Dale Evans.
The cowboy theme was carried through even to the rope toilet tissue holder in the ladies room!
We purchased a book about the area and a map of the self-guided movie location tour and we were off to the hills.
Al, of The Bayfield Bunch, shared such wonderful photos of the area a few weeks ago that I would like to direct you to his page for the best shots. Al had several blogs on the area so if you missed them, I encourage you to go back and read them. Don’t want to do a bunch of repeats so will just share some of what we found interesting or amusing.
It is hard to describe the beauty and majesty of the area. Yes, it is interesting because so many old movies were filmed there, but that is not the biggest draw for me. In fact, we made very little progress down Movie Road as our little Fit is just not built for dirt road travel. (I’ve gotta find a Jeep-type vehicle!) What draws me to this area are the indescribible forces that formed these hills and rocks. The rocks remind me of my own Strong Fortress and High Tower. I am amazed at the stark contrasts between the flat, sandy desert floor and these huge boulders rising seemingly out of nothing. The contrast between the dusty sand and scrub brush and the bubbling stream teeming with life. A land of contrasts and a land of beauty. It draws me.
I thought this rock looked like a big Hershey Kiss.
I was holding both dogs while Russ took pictures, when Poppy provided me with a not to be missed photo op. I was holding her leash with my left hand when she went into a little tunnel. I quickly lowered the camera with my right hand, at a very awkward angle, to get a picture of her peering through the hole. I hade to rotate this photo and crop out most of the picture in order to keep it from looking like she was walking on the wall, but here she is.
Here is a photo Russ took that shows the little tunnel with no dogs inside!
These are just some of Russ’s photos of the area.
See, there is beauty and color everywhere if you just take a moment to find it.
This quail posed mid stride so that Russ could get his photo. Wasn’t that nice?
This little fella was just crawling out of the cleft in the rock.
And what do you suppose this is…a giant hoof print…a humongous arrow head… an ancient directional sign…a imprint made from the landing gear of an alien space ship???
No matter how hard I try, I cannot keep Rusty out of the water and it was certainly true at Tuttle Creek campground.
This is a view of one of the camp sites at Tuttle Creek, I believe that is the Owens dry lake bed in the far distance.
This is a delightful campground, but we are not as brave as The Bayfield Bunch. The road is a little narrow and rough and we’re just not sure we want to drive the RV down that path. But it is certainly beautiful here and so very peaceful.
One shot everyone takes when visiting the area is “Face Rock” and we couldn’t resist it either.
And lastly, just to put the size of the rocks in perspective…
The End!
It is so true that we live in a beautiful land & it only takes a little willingness & understanding to be a part of that beauty. Everyone sees things differently, but like you, I agree that it is the true majestic nature of our landscape that that puts the magic into the magic Kingdom. Where one may see only rocks, another will see sizes, shapes, many faces, animals of all descriptions, colors,hues & shadows. Even Alien landing pods, markers or Indian arrow heads. Some may see only scrub brush while others may feel a presence. Nice thoughts you had in your post today & it's always nice for me to read about fellow travelers getting out there & enjoying Mother Nature at her very best. Yaaaay Lone Pine:))
ReplyDeleteExcellent post today, very enjoyable to read. I love learning about all of the outstanding locations that my blog friends visit. Thanks to you and others, Lone Pine is an area that I have on my “list” to explore sometime.
ReplyDeleteJohn
relaxedrush.blogspot.com
DOn't move out of there too fast! We're almost on our way. You and Al have done a great job of enticing all the rest of us to drive 395 into the Owens Valley, and we're a-gonna do it!
ReplyDeleteNice post! You have a great writing style and I always like to check out what you are up to. We will try to hit that area next year. Enjoy! Judy from Rvlifeonwheels
ReplyDeleteI love Disneyland and would go back any chance I can get. But I do have to agree, the magic and beauty that was created by God far surpasses anything that Walt has done.
ReplyDeleteNow you've done it. I want a Hershey's Kiss, and I can't have one because we're rolling down the freeway on I64-E as we make our way to NC. Thanks for the tour ... it's going on our list of places that are not to be missed when we finally head west.
ReplyDeleteGreat pics of the Lone Pine area - another place to add to our list!
ReplyDeleteYou make me wish we were on the road, isn't it the most wonderful life? Keep writing, I love to hear your stories and see your pictures
ReplyDeleteKate
Cholulared.blogspot.com
Donna and Russ, it sounds like you are having a great time. I enjoyed your pictures of Lone Pine. Who needs Disneyland when you can go to God's Land? :-)
ReplyDeleteI am so happy you all are having such a good time. I am so enjoying the ride and hope some day to see it in person as well. Wonderful info, great pics...keep it coming! Safe travels!
ReplyDeleteThat is one area I really want to visit. I love the rock formations and am glad to hear that you don't need to go off road to see them.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful place and very nice pictures. I am going to have to put this area on our bucket list.
ReplyDeleteWell Said!!!!
ReplyDelete