I visited this landmark and I am happy to report that admission is free. However, they do charge you when you leave.
I don’t think the temperature got above 65 today and with the breeze, it was a little chilly. So we decided to just take it easy and stay close to town. Our supply of Sheepherder bread was running dangerously low so we made a bakery run first thing. Those of you who have read my previous Bishop posts, know how I feel about my sheepherder bread.
This bakery has been in operation since 1903 but their trademark for “The Original Sheepherder Bread” was not issued until 1938.
This is one of the vintage pieces memorabilia that are a integral part of this Bishop landmark. They even have a cigar store Indian, but there were some people sitting in front of him so we didn’t get a photo.
Do you know what this is?
Of course! It’s a bakery box from Schat’s And do you know what’s in it?
THIS:
Oh yum! Russ says I have to share it with him but since he is diabetic, I think he only gets 1/4. Hey, I’m just trying to take good care of him. He should be grateful.
After our trip to the bakery and the visitor’s center, we went back and had leftover chicken tortilla soup at the RV. Then we took the dogs for a long walk in the desert (not to be confused with dessert as shown above).
There is a lot of undeveloped land around Bishop and you don’t need to drive very far to find it. I wrote about one of the reasons for this in my older Bishop posts. Although we didn't find any wildflowers, the sage and sand of the desert has its own beauty.
This landscape looks very much the same as it did 100 years ago…except for the shadow of the utility pole!
The dogs certainly enjoyed their outing and tonight they are plum-tuckered. Even Poppy moved her body more than usual.
As we headed back to town, we saw several horses and mules in this field along side the road. I had to stop so Russ could get some photos. He said he needed to get a close-up for Kate since she likes taking pictures of horses so much.
I don’t know anything about horses but there is something about them that inspires me. Without the horse, and the mule, this country might have been much different. I am inspired by the strength and magnificence of this noble creature and by their loyalty to the humans who sometimes treat them with less than ideal conditions.
These guys were all friendly enough, but you could tell, they would have appreciated a carrot or two. Maybe tomorrow.
The mule may not be as elegant as the horse but he also has a special place in American history.
And so, my friends, this is the end and it’s no laughing matter.
Good post today, you sound happy and relaxed.
ReplyDeletegood ending and middle and beginning!..the dessert looks very decadent!!..I have never heard for Sheepherder's bread, that is until now!..have a great day and enjoy the town of Bishop!!
ReplyDeleteDeserts and desserts, oh my. Great blog post and great pictures!
ReplyDeleteMy GrandDad always used to say a good mule is worth two good horses, they have very comical dispositions and always want to please you like a loyal dog would. Looks like you guys are enjoying your stay. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.
ReplyDeleteThe dessert looks YUMMY -- I love strawberries! Enjoyed your post & the great pics...keep 'em coming! God bless & safe travels!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the horse pics, they are so very cool, aren't they?
ReplyDeleteKate
Cholulared.blogspot.com
Great pics in your post today! I'll have to try some of that Sheepherder's Bread if we're ever in that area.
ReplyDeleteThe horse picture at the end is a hoot... :)
ReplyDeleteDefinitely will have to try that bread and bakery when we are next going through Bishop. Glad to see you safe and warm and having fun.
ReplyDeleteI love that last photo - and your last sentence! Couldn't be cuter! Sounds like you're having a great time. :)
ReplyDeleteOne of the things I'm looking forward to with our motorhome travels is the pace ... we'll be able to spend as much time as we want in one place when we start fulltiming, so we won't have to be out exploring all the time. Not sure how much of the relaxing we'll do on our trip to NC next week since we have just 10 days, but since we're going to base ourselves in one campground, we ought to be able to fit some R&R into our sightseeing. Time will tell :-))))
ReplyDelete