October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Silver City RV Resort

P.S. (that’s PRE script!!)  Obviously I did not get this posted on Saturday – no internet all day long.  So if you are reading this on Sunday, you will know that I found a McDonald’s, Denny’s, Starbucks, or some other user friendly facility.  
As promised, tonight’s post is my report on the Silver City RV Resort.  But first  gotta tell John over at red’s midlife crisis that I am doing my best to loose the winter weather and I can promise you, it had better not follow us home to Oregon!   Jim and Sandie were asking for some pictures of the Nevada State Railroad museum in Carson City.  You are right folks, the museum in not open on weekends so we did not get to visit it this time.  I did look back in my archived photos and found a picture of this scary looking conductor that I took on our visit to the museum in 2003.
reno trip 040

One of the fun things about this museum is the little cart they have.  Don’t know if they still do this, but in 2003, my sister and her husband got to take a turn pumping this cart (Sam, what is this thing called?) along a short stretch of track.  They had a great time doing it.
reno trip 047
There are some great relics at the museum…
reno trip 035
  …and the engines are pretty interesting too!
And just for Judy, while I was looking through my old photos, I came across this bird photo that I took at Lake Tahoe on this same trip.  I think it is called a Stellar Jay but since I don’t have an internet connection (Grrrrr) I can’t check it out.  I’m sure Judy knows right off the top what this hungry little fella is…and “no” I didn’t feed him the nuts.  I don’t know what they are supposed to eat so I just left well enough alone.
blue jay

Okay, the good things about Silver City RV Resort. 
Silver City rv
The property seems well maintained.  It is a convenient stop, right on Hwy. 395, especially convenient if you want to make a day trip to Tahoe but not haul the rig up the mountain.  There is some traffic noise but not like a freight train roaring past or anything.  It is convenient to Carson City, an historic town with several interesting museums.  The Resort has gas, propane, and a small market.  The gas was cheaper here than in town.  There are two shopping centers within three miles, including a Super Wally World and an IN’N’OUT Burger, both of which were happy to take our money today! The entire facility here at Silver City RV Resort is clean…in fact it is Disneyland clean.
P1020224
P1020261
Part of the reason it is so clean might be because of the myriad rules one must live with.  “No dogs” signs are EVERYWHERE.  I think they are posted about every four feet --- okay maybe a slight exaggeration but close.
P1020233 
P1020231

The lake shown above is behind a locked gate.  You can fish but cannot keep your catch.  No dogs at the lake, no kids under 18 without a parent, no swimming, no wading, no boats, no talking, laughing, or chewing gum.  Well, it doesn't actually list those last three rules, but I bet they would if they could get away with it.
The per night cost, with a senior discount, was $31.50.  Dogs (limit two)are $1.00 per night each, cable TV is extra.  Internet was available for one day but very slow.  Today they have no internet due to a power outage (one which must have skipped our site as we never lost power at all). 
There are two “dog runs”.  The one closet to us is about 4’X6’ and covered with crushed rock.  Not gravel, big chunks of sharp rock.  Poppy could not even walk on the stuff.  There is another somewhat larger enclosure near the back which is coarse sand.  ANY little patch of grass in the park has the “NO DOGS” sign, even the patch of crab grass over by the garbage dumpsters.
We were able to walk a short way in the sage brush.  There was a lot of marshy areas so we had to watch our step but at least it wasn’t sharp rocks.
P1020236

Although this is against the rules, we tied Rusty outside while we were home.  He hates being indoors and just wants to lie outside and watch things go by.  He hasn’t barked once, just stays on his bed and enjoys the outdoors.  I finally took a blanket out to cover him up as the wind came up and still he refused to come in.
P1020260
Russ went out early this morning to walk the dogs and snapped a few pictures of the scenery.  Tahoe is just about 30 minutes from here and you can see how much snow is still in evidence.  We decided we have been cold enough and we have seen Tahoe many times in the past, so we will stay off the mountain this trip.
Hopefully we will get out of here tomorrow and go see some real country! Tired of concrete and asphalt.  It is still very cold here but supposed to start warming up.  We have quite a bit of sunshine today but the wind just blows right thru you.  We shall see what new adventure tomorrow brings.

3 comments:

  1. That small car on rails was indeed called a handcar and was used by track workers before the invention of motorized carts,they even would pull a small flat car version behind them with a few ties and tools on it. most of those track workers were strong burly men that could go for hours on one of those and then lift it off the tracks when a train came along. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like a real 'dog friendly' campground!?..NOT!!..and to think they charged extra?..for what???..seems to me there were more places you couldn't take your dog that could..would have been easier just to say no pets allowed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for posting the pictures of the museum. Some day I'm going to make it there when it's open.

    And I would definitely NOT stay at that park regardless of how clean it was. If our girls aren't welcome we aren't either.

    ReplyDelete