October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Bah, Humbug!

About six miles south of Port Orford, Oregon, humbug mapHumbug Mountain State Park sits (appropriately enough) at the base of Humbug Mountain.  This is a popular park but there are almost always a few spaces left for those who just drop in, like we did.  There are 40 water and electric sites for $20 nightly and then about 55 dry sites.  There is a small creek that runs through the park and there is a trail that follows the creek down to the ocean.  It’s a pretty park and very quiet.



Russ encountered some of the local wildlife along the trail.



We spent a couple of nights here and used it as our base from which to explore the surrounding areas.
P1040727

There are two loops and we were in the lower loop.  In the middle of this loop is a large open area of grass, no sites in the middle.  Makes it kind of nice.
P1040736

Several of the campsites are located off the loop in a random pattern.  I liked that – not all lined up in neat little rows.  Plenty of room between sites, too.  It was a good place to spend a couple of nights.  I even broke down and used the public shower to save tank space and it really wasn’t that bad!  I know, I‘m a diva.
P1040733

It’s a nice park for walking and the more adventurous can take the 2+ mile hike up Humbug Mountain.
P1040731

Although you can walk to the ocean, the campground is situated far enough back from the beach so it is sheltered from any cold breezes.  I would definitely stay here again and can recommend it for those traveling Hwy. 101.

P1040730

Tomorrow we will explore Port Orford and Cape Blanco.

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful campsite! Russ looks pretty content on his walk-about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place... I like those laid back places... do I sound like I'm getting a little weary of getting from Point A to Point B.. with a couple thousand miles in between? Give me your kind of vacation any day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome spot Donna! Everything looks so green and pretty.

    Cute photo of the bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have driven through the campground but never stayed there..but your next stop?..we know well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a really nice state park. I did some research and found that Humbug Mountain is one of the highest mountains in Oregon to rise directly from the ocean (1,756'). It goes on our list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip on another great looking Oregon Coast RV Park.

    Looks like a great place to lay back and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bah, humbug, indeed not. We haven't stayed at that park, but we drove through there and admired it. Great pictures--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could use a nice park like that right about now to sit back and relax in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great place to stop. I'll add to my list. It's good to see Russ out and about..(joke)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've stayed at Humbug! I liked it, too. Glad you and Russ are having such a nice time, and that you are sharing it with your readers, of course! I enjoy your blog so much.

    ReplyDelete