October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Encounter with a Wildcat

Okay, so it was a SMALL cat and it didn’t pose a threat but it is wild! 
P1040547
This is the camp cat at Sunset Bay campground near Coos Bay, Oregon.  He lives under a bench at the Interpretative Center, and has his own food and water bowls.  The camp hosts see that he is fed and brushed and taken to the vet.  The story I got was that a ranger found a couple of these cats but the cats were happy to be wild so they were allowed to live here.  One was so wild he wouldn’t let anyone get close and he eventually died.  This cat is very friendly and seems to love the attention.  It looks to me like a lynx point ragdoll cat so can’t imagine how he got to be feral.  Anyway, he is gorgeous and I am enjoying visiting with him.

Sunset Bay campground is on Cape Arago Road and it is cold and foggy here, bet we are loving it anyway.  It is peaceful and you can hear the distant cry of the whistler buoy off the point.  It sounds almost like a dove call.

There is no internet, phone service, or TV reception here – YIPPEE!!  Almost like the old fashioned camping out we did as kids.  The sites are well spaced and separated by bushes.  The campground was full last night but we were able to snag the last full hook-up site.
P1040559a

There is a big berm behind us so it is very private.  We spent two nights in Lincoln City after leaving Fort Stevens and it was so crazy with people that we are glad for some peace and quiet.

This campground also has tent sites and yurts.  The yurt sites are amazingly large.
P1040552

The entire campground has a nice “feel” to it.  Across from us was a middle aged couple from Hong Kong.  They are on the last two weeks of a three month trek that included driving all the way to Winnipeg.  They flew into San Francisco and rented a car and were tent camping when we saw them.  Russ didn’t want to ask too many questions so don’t know if they have spent the entire time tent camping or if this was just something to experience.  Interesting folks and what an adventure they are on.
P1040553

We had a beautiful drive down the coast yesterday before we arrived at Sunset Bay.  Beautiful blue sky under which to enjoy this scenic stretch of Hwy. 101.  Just got a couple of drive-by shots as we traveled on.

P1040463a

P1040507

P1040533
OOOPS!  That’s not a shot of the beautiful coast…that is the visitor we had in Lincoln City!!  I think it escaped from Eugene but we are going to send it back.  After all, that is where the Slug Queen is elected every year!  REALLY!!  Look it up!

We are off to find something to take pictures of and hopefully find some free Wi-Fi so we can check in and make this post.  We are enjoying our trip and beginning to really relax.  I loved the north coast but life somehow seems slower in this area.  I think I could just sit and stare out the window at the trees and watch the grass grow…but there are things to see.   Talk to you next time I have internet…

P1040524

20 comments:

  1. But was that a wild slug or a tame slug? :)
    Are you going to visit Shore Acres State Park while you are Sunset Bay? You've probably been there before. I like to visit Shore Acres every time I'm anywhere near there. We went there to view the Christmas lights a few times. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really looks like a nice site you have. I just couldn't get over the size of the slugs on the times I've visited the west coast. Amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so quiet.... even the kitty looks peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! We love quiet and peaceful. The sites there are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that site. The brick is so pretty.

    Of course, I love the kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice looking park! ..enjoy being 'disconnected'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of Yurts before but have forgotten now what they're all about.

    Nice, peaceful, spot. I could take no tv, no phones but no Internet - not so much!

    ReplyDelete

  8. we have two ferral cats living here, amazing how our bunny population has gone from a couple of hundred to a hand full and these cats are not scrawny by any means, but they arent as pretty as that one .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thinking you found a place with Internet to post your blog????

    On way out of the park here yesterday we saw a trailer pulled over near the exit with a woman and man walking around near the road. We stopped and asked if they had a problem. Their cat jumped out of the truck window and ran off. I do wonder if they found it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cat.

    We have a Lynx colour point ragdoll and he is quite similar. Ragdolls are fun cats .... so floppy to pick up. One advantage is their wonderful fur which doesn't knot. Our cat is kept at our daughter's house, originally Mum's. Mum had two Ragdolls to keep her company in her last years. One Lynx and the other is a blue colour point. They have become our daughter's by default so we only get to pet them when we visit.

    It's good to see you having fun on the road.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you survived that close encounter with a wildcat! ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos. Cool and foggy sounds great compared to hot and muggy. There is just something about the Oregon coast ... beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hat slugs, when we lived on the Coast they pretty much destroyed my gardens. Lovely parks you keep finding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you and Russ are enjoying a beautiful and peaceful place. Now, the slug? It would have sent me packing. I'd rather face a bear! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the photos! You are having a wonderful adventure. I remember having no phones, no TV, no internet - barely. It seems like it was more peaceful then. Not a bad idea!
    candy

    ReplyDelete