October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Friday, September 6, 2013

Seeing the Sights in Seaside, Cannon Beach, and Manzanita

Summer was wonderful here on the Oregon coast.  It lasted for three days this year and we enjoyed all of them.  Wednesday we made a sight-seeing run south on the coast.  Took a quick run through Seaside but it was just too crowded.  It is a scenic town but too much of a tourist destination.  We have visited before so we just kept going.

Next stop Cannon Beach.  Still touristy but not nearly as crowded as Seaside.  We didn’t take pictures of Haystack Rock – there are so many of those already out there that ours would not compare.   We made a stop at a small park and walked down on the beach.  Russ got a nice picture of a couple of beached whales.
P1040369

The beach here is wide and beautiful, but it is quite a walk to the water.
P1040366

We thought this was a unique house in Cannon Beach.  Not only did it have eye popping colors, it had a built in climbing wall!  The grandkids would love this.
P1040360


Son John, this is for you!  Can you imagine the ribs you could do on this baby?  It’s for sale!!
P1040362

We stopped in the small town of Manzanita and we loved it here.  Nice quiet town with very accessible beach.  Dave lent us his parking angel and we found a place just steps from the beach access.  How nice is that?
P1040376

This is one of the prettier beaches on the Oregon coast.  Wonderful access and a long wide stretch of sand.  Little hills of beach grass make great places to pitch a sun shelter or just relax out of the wind...although it was virtually windless the day we were there.

P1040378









We went on to Nehalem Bay but that is a story for another day.

13 comments:

  1. Donna, when we lived in Long Beach and Astoria (worked in Seaside also) we had to learn the side streets and back roads real quick :) I love Manzanita and Nehalem also. Actually there is no place on the coast we don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manzanita is wonderful.

    We had an awesome time at Haystack rock. It is so different at low and high tide.

    You two are sure seeing the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In 2001 Bill & I volunteered for Oregon State Parks... spent 6 weeks or so at the Manhattan Beach Roadside Rest/State Rec. Area... Rockaway Beach was the closest town & I bicycled there to go to church, library, PO etc. We loved it there and have thought that maybe someday we'd have the opportunity to do it again. Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to see it wasn't the kind of beached whale I was dreading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we first started visiting the coast, it seemed WE were the only tourists. I noticed a difference when I returned in 2010. That's why I really want to visit in the winter; to see it as it once was.

    You and Russ got some beautiful pictures on this trip. For years we thought there was only one Haystack Rock, but there are two. The one in Pacific City is taller, but each claims to be the biggest. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cannon Beach and Manzanita both look like beautiful places to visit. Glad you had nice weather the day that you went to enjoy them. One day Kevin and I will make it to that part of the country.

    Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We visited that area in May a couple of years ago and we had the place almost to ourselves. It was cold and rainy. But beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love that area! I enjoyed your pictures and blog about your day trip. And I'm glad that you found some internet access so we can read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm re-living the whole north coast again. Love it!
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice beach pics! I think of all the great areas on the Oregon Coast, Cannon Beach is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that beautiful Oregon coast! Just never tire of it. Even in bad weather the seascapes are stunning. So glad you enjoyed this time out in Therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before Mexico we use to go to Cannon Beach annually. It is till one of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. we know that spot very well!..what?..no picture of the rock with Tucker on it?

    ReplyDelete