We have a nice FHU campsite and Russ is making good use of it.
Therapy seems happy too. I think she’s smiling!!
Friends Dave and Carol joined us for a couple of days and Russ managed to start harassing Dave before the first marshmallow was in the fire.
Fortunately, Dave does not hold a grudge and he and Carol played tour guide for us on Tuesday. Being from Washington, they have spent a lot of time in this area and showed us all the good spots. (I don’t have Wi-Fi as I write this so cannot check on place names as I normally do…and some I have forgotten already.)
First stop was a viewpoint on the Washington side after crossing over the Astoria bridge. What a view!
That paved strip is part of the Discovery Trail that goes for 8 miles along the beach. Great for walking or biking.
If you read Dave and Carol’s blogs (they both blog) you know that one of their favorite places is Cape Disappointment. I can see why! It is a beautiful park and some of the FHU sites are almost directly on the beach. You can see the ocean, hear its roar, and feel the salt air.
One of the places we stopped was Waikiki
I could easily have spent most of the day here…just bring a picnic lunch and you’re golden!!
On to Long Beach where we had lunch at the Hungry Harbor restaurant – very nice and down home. I forget to get pictures but the food was wonderful.
Then my favorite part…we got to drive on the beach!! I wasn’t too worried until Dave noted that the tide was incoming and all passengers were required to push should the need arise! I am happy to report, the need did not arise. Saw this boat offshore as we were sailing along.
Here’s a short clip of us dodging waves at Long Beach.
Altogether a wonderful couple of days. Dave and Carol head for home in the morning but it was great to have a nice visit. We were scheduled to camp with them and Doug and Sue earlier this year but had to cancel due to the construction on our street. Sure hope we can all get together sometime in the future.
P.S. We are on the road with no reliable source of internet - McDonald's is about it!! Not ignoring anyone - just no internet!!
ReplyDeleteWho are calling old? :) Old in body, maybe, but not in spirit! We had a great time with you and will look forward to reading about the rest of your trip.
ReplyDeleteI love the Oregon coast and always love seeing your photos and hearing about your adventures. AND.. what fun to meet fellow bloggers!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a good time once you pried Russ out of his chair.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful .... I plan to be back there this month next year!!
ReplyDeleteCape Disappointment is one of our favorite places too. That area is so beautiful...rain or shine.
ReplyDeleteLove the area you're in. When my son was stationed there in the Coast Guard, we got to see the lighthouses he maintained.
ReplyDeleteWe almost camped where you did, but the KOA across the street won out, they have a hot tub!
So nice that you had beautiful weather for your gathering!
ReplyDeletelooks great with no rain:)
ReplyDeletesure would have been fun to be down there with the four of you!! Did you say 'golden' and beach all in the same sentence?
ReplyDeleteYour drive on the beach reminds me of Daytona Beach, FL when I was a child. So neat!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a wonderful time with friends and the weather was great.
Old folks you say? Not a chance!
Love that area. We've spent lots of time around there and will be doing lots more in the future.
ReplyDeleteWow, so beautiful! Someday we will make there. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures of a beautiful area. We visited Fort Stevens a few years ago and loved those beaches.
ReplyDeleteThat is really a beautiful area that you are in. Thanks for the great pics.
ReplyDeleteSure a nice trip, enjoyed all the pic's, simply beautiful. Say hi to Russ for us and have a great Thursday!
ReplyDeleteSorry I became too obsessed with fishing when we were in Astoria to check out Cape Disappointment. Sure is on my list for next year.
ReplyDeleteIn March, my two sons and I enjoyed a sunny day in Long Beach and had wonderful chowder at the Hungry Harbor cafe.
Glad to see you enjoying the Oregon coast. Gotta love those campfires at night.
Oh, such great pictures. I swear I have a picture of that lighthouse standing in the exact same place. It was years and thousands of 35mm pictures ago. I'll find it one of these days and post it. Thanks for waiting for me so I could see Ft. Stevens, again. I could almost smell the fresh air that we breated at Cape Disappointment. So beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful area, can't wait until we can visit.
ReplyDelete