One of the places of interest is Arch Rock. It is an overlook within the Samuel Boardman State Park. The park runs along several miles of Hwy. 101 with various lookouts, hiking trails, and day use areas. This is the view from the parking lot looking through the window of the Fit, dashboard in the foreground. I was glad there were parking bumpers!
This stop is about 6-8 miles north of Brookings – can’t seem to find an accurate mileage anywhere. At any rate it is an easy drive and well worth the stop. There are picnic tables and restrooms here.
The trail to the viewpoint goes in a circle, winding through dense underbrush and coastal trees. It’s an easy walk with a bit of up and down. There is a fence all along the trail as the cliff here is very steep and dangerous.
As with our other coastal stops, there is not a bad view from anywhere on the trail.
I almost caught this butterfly before he moved completely out of range. I tried to identify this butterfly and I think it is a CORONIS FRITILLARY – if anyone knows differently, please correct me.
I also enjoyed watching this little sparrow flit around and hide in the bushes. He was right on the edge of the cliff.
More views were around every turn in the path. There are many interesting rock formations, but this is the one for which the park is named.
Russ had his own way of looking at things.
Just another beautiful day exploring the Oregon coast. Tomorrow we go a bit further south to Crescent City, CA. The last day of our coastal adventure will bring this journey to a close.
You live in some beautiful country.
ReplyDeleteI can't get enough of your pictures of the Oregon Coast, Russ and Donna, so I'm sad that your coastal blogs are coming to an end!
ReplyDeleteIt definitely was a beautiful day for you. You've got some great photos to prove it.
ReplyDeleteWe missed that trail. Lovely day, lovely setting, lovely photos!
ReplyDeleteDonna - Beautiful pictures as always. Tracy and I are headed to Wilsonville the second week of October to visit our daughter and SIL. Can you recommend some coastal day trips that we should take?
ReplyDeleteHey guys, send me an email and I'll send you some ideas. Depending on the weather you might want to go inland rather than the coast at that time of year.
DeleteCan't help you on the butterfly but I'm sure you're correct.
ReplyDeleteYou sure seem to be getting perfect weather along with your perfect photos!
I never see enough photos of the stunning Oregon Coast. Thanks for adding the small details too--the butterfly and sparrow add to the story you tell with your and Russ's photos.
ReplyDeleteHow come I never get such beautiful days when I visit the Oregon Coast? What's your secret???
ReplyDeleteGod likes me!!
DeleteAh, so beautiful! We were always pretty lucky with good, sunny weather on the coast. I like the cool crisp air…just can't beat it.
ReplyDeleteLove the different perspectives depending on who took the photos. Love the butterfly and bird shots. What a great place to visit.
ReplyDeleteI loved the video. How time changes us on the outside. Glad our real beauty is from the inside :) We love the coast rain or shine and are sort of hoping it will be stormy while we are at the coast next month. You did have some wonderful weather though. Glad you took that trip.
ReplyDeleteI sure am enjoying your coastal trip and your many great pics.
ReplyDelete