October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, September 1, 2013

If it was any purtier I couldn’t stand it!

One thing you gotta understand about the Oregon coast – summer doesn’t arrive until September 1, and today it was right on schedule!!  Cleat blue skies, gentle breezes, and temperatures that didn’t require a jacket!

We went for a drive northward to Pacific City, off Hwy 101.  First stop was the Winema Wayfinding Station, a vista point overlooking Winema Beach.  I forgot to get a picture of the explanatory signage so don’t know what this is all about.  (In fact, I didn’t get a picture of anything – forgot to charge my battery so thanks, Russ, for the photos today!) I found some info on geocaching websites but don’t know if that is the purpose or just a byproduct of this overlook.  At any rate, the view is worth stopping for.



The RVs you see down below are on the grounds of the Winema Christian Camp.  It is a private camp for youth and family camps but their website did say they had some limited RV camping spots available.  We drove down to the camp and I DO NOT think I would drive the RV down there.  Those who are camped are braver than I am!!  It is certainly a beautiful setting though.

On to Pacific City, home of the Dory Fleet.  That viewing will have to wait until next week when some of the tourists go home!!  Couldn’t even get in the parking lot and some entrepreneurs had set up parking in vacant lots – $10 per car!!  No thanks!  There were other sights to see.

Lots of fishing going on.  The smart ones parked their boats under the bridge where they could fish in the shade.



Others fished from shore. That's the Nestucca River.



There was a small Farmer’s Market at the library and we got some wild blackberries and some Italian plums (fresh prunes).  I don’t care how pretty and big the domestic blackberries are, nothing beats the taste of fresh picked wild blackberries and these were no exception.











They had some live entertainment too.  I threw a couple of dollars into their tip jar, but they kept up the caterwauling anyway!  Guess it wasn’t enough to make them stop.  Even this poor guy seemed to be wishing they would quit.  It would have been an improvement if he had joined in!!



We drove up to Sand Lake Recreation Area.  This is a huge area for all things related to sand rails, ATVs and dune buggies.  Several large campgrounds and one was nothing more than a paved lot.

And we thought we were packed in tight!!

The draw is that you can go right from your campsite into the dunes and ride for miles. 



No one minds the noise because that is why they come here.  Not my cup of tea although I might have enjoyed riding around when I was younger.  I had some fun when I had my dirt bike but never in dunes like this.




The best part of the day was coming back to the RV park and sitting outside in our chairs.
P1040346


It was a picture perfect day and this was the view from my recliner…can’t be beat!
P1040347

Tomorrow, on to Astoria and Fort Stevens State Park.  Hurry, Nancy, we’ll wait for you!!

17 comments:

  1. Don't think I could handle living in that sardine can camping area, but it looks like it doesn't bother Russ a bit ;-) That farmer's market looks great... and, yes! those wild berries are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoyed Oregon, and am sure we will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, your "summer" looks lovely. Hopefully it lasts on into December and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about the good weather at the Oregon coast coming in September. It used to make me sad as a teacher, as once school started weekends were reserved for grading papers. I love retirement!

    Fun to see you two enjoying the beaches and wild blackberries too. What a lovely combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the Farmers Market...and fresh blackberries....yummy!

    So glad you and a nice drive and a nice car to rest on afterwards....I like the view from your chair!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope no one sneezes in that wall to wall campground. Several people will be hurt with one sneeze.
    Looks like the stress has left Russ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been around all those areas. If I described it as gorgeous, even that would be an under-statement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, summer at the coast! Glad to hear that the weather cooperated today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. enjoy your stay on the coast..if only we were all together!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a full day as well as a full campground! Glad that you and Russ are enjoying yourselves. :)

    Can't wait to see what comes next! Don't forget to charge your battery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful way to spend a beautiful day. I miss the gorgeous Oregon coast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Russ did a great job with the camera in showing what a wonderful day you both had.

    I liked the pic of the guys using the bridge for shade while fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have to agree nothing like the fresh picked berries you have in the Pacific Northwest. Enjoyed the pictures Russ shared and the weather sounds perfect. Relaxing out on the chairs and a good book is one of my favorite things about camping. Good to see you guy's back in Therapy again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it seems to me that every area on the Pacific coast is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Donna!

    Hold on, I'm coming!

    I got behind in my blog reading and have been a bit down in the dumps, but I remembered that you and Russ were going to Astoria so I got on the computer to read, and what did I find? You thought of me; you remembered how much I love the coast of Oregon. I remember all the places you've mentioned--Pacific City wasn't quite as crowded when I was there, but I hope you'll go back. You are so sweet. Thank you--I needed something to kick me in the pants--have been dragging a bit, lately. Now (drum roll), I'm going to read about Astoria. I've taken on too many blogs so if I miss one or two days, it's overwhelming so I took a break. I'm going to try to catch up some, today. I'm trying to decide whether I should delete from my reader, read the latest blog posts, and go back to catch up at another time.

    Anyway, I was able to pick my trailer up--hitched and unhitched without any problem. Yeah! Then I was able to back it up my long driveway on one try. Trick? You'll laugh! I opened the window and stuck my head out instead of using my mirrors as I was taught. DOH!

    I can only stand for short intervals, but I've been cleaning it and organizing it little by little since I've had it home. I'm also packing, little by little, to go to Tennessee on October 3rd. If that goes well, Jack and I are trying to figure out if we could leave in January and drive out I10 to San Diego and up the coast to Oregon. I've always wanted to spend a winter on the Oregon coast. I don't know if that dream will come true, but we're going to dream it, anyway.

    On to Astoria! Thank you so much. You have made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If all goes according to plan next summer we will be in CA-OR-WA, thanks for all the tips to date.

    ReplyDelete