Russ wanted to try a pancake with his breakfast – just to taste it, he said! It’s a good thing he only ordered one. Look at the size of that thing. It was pretty tasty and NO, he did not finish all of it or the rest of his breakfast either. I got the ”little” breakfast and I was glad I did!
Port Orford is definitely a working fishing village and we saw many boats down at the boat yard. It was curious, we never did find a boat ramp but we did see this huge crane where they lift the boats into and out of the water. There must be a way to get to the ocean from the river but we didn’t find it.
Right above the shipyard, on top of a bluff, were some pretty fancy houses. Must be where the rich folks live!! Or maybe they’re just crazy, building a house up there. There was an article in a local paper about some folks in Brookings that were suing the city because their home fell off a cliff last November. Seems it rained almost 6 inches in 24 hours and the storm drains couldn’t handle the water. It built up causing a flood and undermining the houses whish then took a nosedive off the cliff. I’m no geologist but it seems like erosion would be a bit of a concern here eventually.
We came across Garrison Lake in town, where a fisherman was braving the fog but not seeming to have much luck with the fish. Nice place for a picnic though with a boat ramp, pagoda with a table and nice clean flush toilets.
We saw a lot of these flowers in the area but don’t know what they are. Does anyone know? Some kind of lily I think but they sure do bloom late for lilies. They are so beautiful – Russ thought they were fake!
Battle Rock park is at the south end of Port Orford and is a beautiful place to stop. It was foggy the day we were there so the picture does not do it justice.
There is an easy path down to the beach. Could not believe there were surfers out there on this cold, foggy day. He’s wearing a wet suit, but still!!!! Brrrr…
About 9 miles north of Port Orford is the Cape Blanco lighthouse, the westernmost point in Oregon. Nina and Paul are hosting here. We ran into Paul and his dog Polly as we were driving around the campground but Nina was busy getting ready for work.
This was the only place on our trip that I could say was bitingly COLD! It was so foggy you needed a lighthouse to find the lighthouse! Even the host greeted us with,”Welcome to where the Cape Blanco lighthouse used to be.” It was definitely the coldest and foggiest stop on our journey. The lighthouse in Bandon was foggy but it wasn’t cold.
The road into the campground and lighthouse was not the best so be careful if you go. I would not take a motorhome up there although many people do. There was a sign that said loose gravel so I slowed down. It’s a good thing I did because it wasn’t just loose gravel, there were big, make that BIG, potholes and places where the road had slipped away. On the way out, we saw a fella who must have hit a pothole a little fast. He was in a pickup pulling a pop-up and either the hitch or the trailer frame had broken and he was stuck right there and not a thing he could do. Someone had stopped to help and the traffic was just beginning to pile up behind him. Do be careful if decide to visit Cape Blanco. Also, be aware that although the campground is supposed to have a dump station, it is closed. Looks like it has been closed for some time don’t expect to dump tanks there. Interesting place to visit but too cold and foggy on the day we visited.
On the way back to camp, we stopped at a pull out and Russ got this photo of Humbug Mountain. The state campground is at the base of this mountain and the beach is just a short walk from the campground.
The Oregon coast is beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteAfter that hearty breakfast I thought maybe that might be Russ on the surfboard.
ReplyDeleteEveryone call those pink flowers "Naked Ladies." here in our part of California. They make lots of leaves in spring that then all die back like you sprayed them with Round-up or something. Then about this time of year they send up long snakey stems with a big bunch of flower buds at the end, bloom and dry off quickly. They are a large bulb plant that multiply every year. I think the seeds also grow because we have had them come up in places where there were none planted. They need very little care or water and often come up in fields and roadsides. I love them
ReplyDeleteI saw hose flowers too!! No leaves, just stem and flower, weird. all up & down that part of the coast...
ReplyDeleteWe were just ships passing in the night/fog :) as I was there just last week.. was getting cool then too & we hit some fog...
Also, I think they are in the same family as the Amarylis
ReplyDeleteHmm...that fog reminds me of this morning in Minnesota.
ReplyDeleteThat is a HUGE pancake. That would be a meal for me.
ReplyDeleteThe flowers are gorgeous.
Boy are you bringing back a ton of memories with that fog photo.
I didn't know the name of those flowers, but my mom had some in her garden. Very different and pretty.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are great, I especially like the foggy one of the lighthouse. I guess that's why they need lighthouses. :)
photos are great. some people never think ahead.
ReplyDeleteplans for an extension to one of the freeways goes behind us. it was in the plans 20 years ago when it was a cornfield. when farmer died a subdivision was built, allowing space for the freeway. now the people that live there are all upset that they are going to have a freeway cutting the subdivision in half...well sorry folks you knew that when you bought there.
Port Orford is an area that we haven't explored. We haven't been to the Cape Blanco Lighthouse, either. Sorry it wasn't "out" for you to see clearly. Kind of like the elusive Mount Rainier, I think! :)
ReplyDeleteWe stayed in Port Orford on our way home this year and I'm now really sorry we never knew about that restaurant - what a pancake!
ReplyDeleteWe did manage to visit the Cape Blanco lighthouse though
Beautiful photos of the foggy Oregon Coast.
Great pictures, as always, Donna. Gosh I wish I could be there. Thank goodness for your posts. I can dream. :)
ReplyDelete