October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Visit We Wish We Hadn’t Made

Remember I said I was going to write about a visit we wish we had not made?  This is it.  Please bear in mind that this is my, actually our, opinion and yours may vary.  That’s okay, but I just need to get this off my chest (mind, heart).

In Winston, OR there is a place called Wildlife Safari.  It is a wonderful, open habitat for all kinds of wild animals.  Theirs is a science facility and they have an excellent cheetah breeding program.  The animals live in the open, in many acres of natural habitat.  Cars are allowed through gates and drive through the habitat on dirt roads.  The animals may or may not be visible, but they are free to roam huge acreages.  Only predator and prey are separated by fences, other species live together much like they do in the wild.  We enjoy this place immensely and have made many visits there with the grands.

In Bandon, OR there is a place called West Coast Game Park, and it’s tag line is “the original walk-thru safari.”  I remembered stopping here many years ago with the kids and feeding the deer that roamed the courtyard.  There weren’t many exotic animals that I could remember, but it was a fun place for kids.  So we stopped.

I asked the lady in the gift shop about the facility before we went in.  It is over 40 acres but it is built on a circle so that the walking is only about three city blocks.  Okay, sounds doable.  The price was pretty steep at $16.50 for seniors 60 and older, but it sounded like fun.  I expected something along the lines of Wildlife Safari only on a much smaller scale.  NOT!!

Feed for the animals is available for $ .50 as you enter.  It is mixed grain in an ice cream cone, and you are warned to NOT hold it up out of reach.  I wouldn’t say the deer are tame, only that they have been conditioned to expect food from humans.  They certainly appear well-fed and I think their quest for food is more out of boredom than actual hunger.


The game park is proud of the fact that the deer, sheep, and goats run free, but it is a very small area for so many animals.  No forage for them, just what they can forage off of people.  I am sure they get hay or something else on a regular basis as they did appear well-fed and healthy.  There is also a small old donkey that wanders around but he was not very friendly.  None of these “free-roaming” animals were “friendly”, they just wanted food. 
The first enclosure housed about a dozen or more wallabies.  One little joey was having a snack, or perhaps looking for a place to nap.


The enclosure was adequate, I suppose, but by no means roomy.  There were a few peacocks and peahens running around but the males had only a couple of tail feathers.  Don’t know if this is a seasonal thing or if there was some other reason for the lack of normal plumage.






Then we saw the big game animals.  There were a couple of leopards, a cougar, a lion, two tigers, one white tiger, two bears, a zebra, an elk, a chimpanzee, and assorted other critters.  The sad thing was, they were all in enclosures about as big as my living room.  Maybe a bit bigger but you get the idea.  Have you ever seen an elk pace?  Back and forth, back and forth in front of his fence.  Nothing else for him to do.  Yes, he had a yard but it was way too small for such a huge animal.

One of the bears was pacing and one was trying to sleep.  Neither was looking very happy. 

But it was the big cats that got to me.  I didn’t take many pictures as I was feeling pretty lousy by then.  Here are a few that Russ and I took.  The ones that weren’t pacing were simply laying around because there was nowhere for them to go.  Although they weren’t in concrete cages, it was almost as bad.  Look into these eyes and tell me if this is a happy animal.


















The camera cannot capture the look of boredom and lifelessness we saw in the eyes of these magnificent animals.  This cougar did nothing but pace.



I am NOT an animal activist, I don’t want to close down all the zoos.  I think many zoos fill a wonderful purpose in educating people about animals and in breeding programs and studies.  Yes, the animals are not free, but they are also not prey and they have all their needs taken care of.  But a facility like the West Coast Game Park exists only to profit from the animals it obtains.  The facility is clean and the animals appear to be in good health but what kind of a life do they have locked up in an area that is not even large enough to get up a fast walk, let alone a run.  If they have over 40 acres there, why aren’t they using more of it to give these animals a better life?  I know why, it’s because if they put the animals in larger facilities, they would not be as highly visible and therefore fewer people would pay money to visit. 

I know this is only my perspective and I expect some will disagree with me.  I only know how it made me feel to walk through that park.  My eyes were leaking as I left and I didn’t spend one penny in their gift shop.  I wish I could un-see what we saw and I wish we had never stopped.  Don’t let them fool you with the “interacting with the animals” line either.  They had one half grown lynx that was on display and you could get into the enclosure with it.  They had two young bears (I wouldn’t call them babies) in a tiny holding pen ready to be displayed for touching.  Other than the annoying deer, goats, and sheep, that was it for “interaction.”

So if you happen to be traveling on Hwy 101 just south of Bandon, OR and you see a sign for the Wild Game Park, do yourself and the animals a favor and go right on by.  I wish we had.



21 comments:

  1. Would never visit a place like that, their only purpose is to generate money for themselves at the expense of the poor animals.
    You will find this interesting.
    http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/11/07/animal-attractions-to-avoid/48985/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, they said pretty much what I did, about both places. Wish I had read this first. Thanks for the link. I sure know better now.

      Delete
  2. This place definitely went on our do not go list. Do you use Trip Adviser? Maybe you should put a review on there. So very very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't there laws about this. It seems like it would be cruelty even if the animals' pens are clean. This makes me very sick. So very sorry you had to see something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big difference between a place like that and an actual Zoo. I'd never go.
    We have a place down by Niagara Falls called "Marine Land". Naively took the kids there many years ago. Once was enough. Same deal with the animals getting fed by the guests. A little too scary for our youngest, but she was pretty calm.
    Something about the place we found kind of creepy. Not a zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, not my idea of a good time either. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I contrast this with The Keepers of the Wild Park that I visited near Kingman Arizona this summer. Run as a not for profit retirement home for animals that no longer have earning capacity and are basically given a place to live out their years. Done for the right reasons, not for the money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so good that more and more there are places for animals where they are not locked into small cages. The thought of an Elk in a cage saddens me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think you will find anyone that will defend that place. Dave and one of our boys visited many years ago and we've never even considered going back there. It's a tourist trap, and gives all the good places, like the one in Winston, a bad name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the constant pacing is boredom and anxiety...I feel bad if I have to kennel riggs for 5 minutes if someone comes that cant handle big dogs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in your camp, Donna ...... Thanks for passing on the word for all who may be in the area ..... Hope the rest of the trip continues to be terrific .....You two were having a super time until this bleep came along ..... HAVE FUN !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow... that really angers me. I think some of us should make an issue of this. Its wrong. Im wanting to go on and on but Im not going to. Im sorry for them. Im angered at the people that USE them just to make money.

    ReplyDelete
  12. those poor animals..what an existence for them..
    you can be sure it won't be place we would visit..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree with you on this one! I went there last year with my cousin and vowed never again. I felt terribly for the larger cats who were pacing back and forth out of boredom. At the lighthouse I never recommend it to anyone to asks me. Sorry you had to see it!
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't even go to Zoos or Marineworlds anymore because to me they are nothing but "prisons" for animals who haven't done anything wrong.

    I believe they're all disgusting no matter how much people try to tell us they are a learning experience for children.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, Donna. There are lovely zoos that give the animals a natural environment with lots of room to roam and they often start out as rescue animals but small cages are sad. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Donna, you are so right about these places. I remember well over 40 years ago visiting the Okefenokee Swamp. There was an otter that paced aimlessly (almost compulsively) in a small cage--very sad. I never forgot him. We also stopped at a place called Jungle Larry's to satisfy the kids because we were going to Disney and it was full and they were turning people away. This was a sad place, as well. There's more to the needs of wild animals than feeding them. There was an African Safari place somewhere in GA (don't remember where) that was a drive through that was shut down years ago. I would think they have to meet certain standards; but like everything else some slip through the cracks.

    ReplyDelete