October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Thank you and Pups are Doing GREAT!

Thank you all so much for your well wishes on our new family members.  These are just the perfect fit for us.  It means a lot to us to have so many folks who understand our love for dogs and encourage us along the way. 

About 10 p.m. last night we let Jewel and Ollie out for last potty.  They go on command every time we let them out.  Then they had a treat and went in their crate.  They sleep together in one large soft sided crate.  They went in with no trouble and we heard nary a peep out of them until 6 a.m. this morning.

Today, they learned to use the doggy door.  Didn’t take them long at all.  We played ball a couple of times and wore them out and we also went for a walk.  We got soft harnesses for them and they did real well with them.  They had been used to a nose halter but I am not a particular fan so we went with the harnesses.  They walked right along with no problems whatsoever.   Russ even said today he was glad to be picking up dog poop in the yard because it meant that he had a dog again!!  What a guy!

Jewel and Ollie have filled a hole in our lives we didn’t think would ever be filled again.  As much as we loved Rusty and Poppy, I had forgotten how much fun it is to have young, healthy dogs around.  I wouldn’t change a thing in how we cared for our old dogs, and I savored every moment we had with them.  But end of life care, whether for a person or a beloved pet, is sad and draining.  I truly thought we were too old to have another younger dog in our lives, but that is proving NOT to be true.  We are loving it and the new pups are just perfect for us.  We are so blessed.  Thank you, Sarah, for choosing us to be the new parents to your babies.

I didn’t take any new pictures today but I’m sure there will be many more in the days to come.  Next up is to introduce them to riding in our car and then the motorhome.  After that, maybe a little trip!!

ollie
Doesn’t he look like he’s smiling? (taken yesterday)

18 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a beautiful face! We had Samantha & Ollie, both quite old, when we started full-time RVing, and were truly blessed to find a wonderful home that took both of them, caring for them lovingly until the end. So happy for you, & what lucky pups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jewel and Ollie are precious looking. I can only imagine the joy they will bring into your lives. Although they will never replace Rusty and Poppy, they will bring new personalities into your lives. Enjoy those babies and share that love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure looks like they are adapting well... and why not? Looks like a perfect fit for all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like they're fitting right into the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, he is GORGEOUS! I agree...you will certainly enjoy your pups and yes, you have LOTS of love to shower on them! :-)
    Cheryl Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave my grandparents one of our collie pups...Heather. She lived when them until she died and they were in their 90's. She NEVER let a stranger come into their yard. She was a good dog...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, doggie people. I know a few. There's just no keeping you away from having four legged friends.
    He does look like he's smiling in that last pic. You'll have such fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not like the nose halter at all. I know why they use them but think they are sort of on the cruel side.

    What beautiful eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with everything in this post Donna.
    I'm looking forward to LOTS of pictures.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy dogs have happy smiles. Good for you in doing away with those muzzle things. Something just does not seem right about tying a dog's mouth shut like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would get rid of the nose halter too. You're making new memories with the new pups. What a wonderful life you all will have togeether.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems like they had some good training before they came to you. A good fit for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having younger dogs will definitely keep you and Russ on the go which is a good thing. I have never understood nose halters. Wo9uldn't use them. I am just so happy and excited for all of you. Looking forward to lots and lots of puppy pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you both have a new lease (or should I say "leash") on life. I truly hope that both Jewel and Ollie enjoy riding in the car and motorhome. Then watch out--you guys will be dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had to look back to see what I missed! That's great that you adopted again. Dogs are the best, and when we are grounded again we will definitely have a dog or two. Enjoy! We look forward to meeting them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. HE IS SMILING! lol I can even see his teeth. I think those pups might be even happier than you guys! I'm so glad it's working out well, they sound perfect. And it's really to have two dogs so they can keep each other company and exercised a little. I can't wait to see how they like the motor home. They have no idea all the cool places and smells they have in their futures. :)

    PS - My son got a nose halter for his large male German Shepard after he pulled me all of a sudden and I ended up in a bush all the way to my shoulders. I just couldn't handle his strength. Great dog, but he loved cats and would turn on a dime and chase them. Much to my embarrassment as I lay there with my head in a bush and listening to the laughter nearby. It must have been a sight, and they apologized for laughing after they hauled me out. Anyway, they are good for training and to control a large dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Barbara, sometimes the nose halters are a necessity. My daughter uses one with one of her dog for that very reason. The dog is big and pulls and will knock me down just trying to get to me! I'm sure our pups' first mom had a hard time trying to control two dogs and two kids so the "gentle leaders" (as they are called) were probably a good thing for her. But I think they are a bit painful for the dogs as their snout is nothing but skin and bone. I know they sure try to get them off. Sometimes they are necessary and I wouldn't want anyone to think I am judging folks who need to use them. I just feel very fortunate that these dogs did so well in their soft harnesses and I don't think we will need the halters. Thanks so much for your comments.

      Delete
  17. we so very happy for you and Russ and especially for those pups to have such a great home and new family to be blessed with. They are a couple of lucky dogs. Totally understand about the empty place when our pups are no longer there.......

    ReplyDelete