October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Icy, Dicey, It’s NOT Nicey!!

IMG_4080
IMG_4195








Went out to take some pictures of the ice storm.  I just got back inside and told Russ I was worried about the pine tree.  Not five minutes later he watched as the limb fell away from the tree.  Looks like a bad break so not sure the tree can be saved.

We had about three inches of snow on Thursday, freezing rain and ice on Thursday night, another 6-8 inches of snow on Friday, then another layer of freezing rain on top of that last night.  It’s NASTY out there.  I went out to take a picture of the front of the house.  A couple of steps into this slick mess convinced that was a BAD idea.
IMG_4191

IMG_4189

I wonder what made those tracks leading up to the cedar tree?  It seems they stop in the middle of nowhere and they look too big for a squirrel.
IMG_4187

The birds were having quite a time getting their food.
IMG_4142

IMG_4144

IMG_4183

IMG_4164

My sweet concerned Russ went out and de-iced everything.
IMG_4203
IMG_4210











Barbara, if you get tired of those hot springs, this will cool you off!!
IMG_4236

With the snow-ice-snow-ice sandwich we have in the back yard, it makes it hard for the little guys to get around.  The “crust” holds their weight in some places but then all of a sudden they break through and sink down to their bellies.  They still want to go out though and have managed to find a place to do their potty.  It’s kinda hard to squat when the snow and ice is so deep but they do a great job.  Here’s what happened to Jewel.


No harm done and she didn’t seem to mind.  They have figured out to keep close to the house and under the trees where the snow is not so deep.
IMG_4086

IMG_4087

We’re a little worried about our awnings.  They are metal and they are definitely bowing under the weight of the snow and ice.  At least the temperature is above freezing now and it’s all starting to melt.  Hopefully it will all be gone in a few days and we can get back to happily anticipating springtime.

18 comments:

  1. You've had quite the winter up your way. Snow I could maybe handle but not the ice. Love those eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you wrote you were going outside, I wanted to shout - DON'T DO IT DONNA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Grief! What a winter you're having. But... ah yes... now you each have a little furry foot warmer to keep your tootsies warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And they call this a winter wonderland. That was sure nice of Russ to thaw things out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Jewel! At least she has some claws to get traction on that ice. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always makes me wonder how wildlife ever survives these kinds of bad winters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tracks to the tree look like rabbit to me. No I have no idea where he/she went, but when we used to track rabbits in urban Milwaukee after a snow, they would sometimes do that. Maybe they just die and ascend into rabbit heaven on the spot?

    Your dogs have distinctive eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No ice here, yet, but it is getting cold out there... love the bird pictures you are getting that one with the yellow on it and the ice is pretty neat!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came to Portland to visit our daughter and to escape the snow in Spokane. Yeah right!!! Now I need to find a good day to drive home next week. It looks as though this mess is heading that direction. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our families back home can sure relate to what you are going through. They have had so much snow and ice they are totally sick of winter.

    Oh how good Russ is to those poor little birds. They probably don't know what the heck is going one. Hope today finds you enjoying much better weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys were really hit hard. My friends Marti and Charlie were on there way home to Seattle when they had to stop in Albany, OR. Found a motel which then proceeded to lose both electricity and water. Luckily they have their LD.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy to be in warm, sunny Yuma. Bet those birds wish they had ventured farther south!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only place I want to see ice is on television at the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful shot!!
    Makes me to feel cool...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Warm greetings from Southern Hemisphere! You are very brave & hardy to cope with such cold!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to help the birds get to the feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, snow is fun and beautiful, but there comes a time when it can be a worry. Is your pool frozen? Poor pup, falling into the snow. I've been there, too! Snow in the top of the boots - drat. Then I got gaiters, and it was better.

    When I was in Pollock Pines I had lots of cedar trees on my lot, and the snow built up on the top of one and it cracked under the weight and went through my roof, head first. I had the top of the tree in my living room. Funny thing, though, I kind of liked it and figured I'd never have that happen again, so I left it there for a little while. The insurance company had already paid for the damage, and I finally had a contractor do the repairs.

    Can you prop up the awnings with wooden boards? You have to be a hearty soul to live in that kind of weather. Stay warm. :)

    ReplyDelete