An organization called Friends of Trees planted saplings all along the planting strip of the entire project. We got three trees and were looking forward to seeing them grow and provide some shade for the front yard. Our trees survived the winter snows and are beginning to bud out.
Imagine our surprise when we got up Sunday morning and saw that someone, probably more than one someone, had senselessly decided to break down one of our trees.
A neighbor came by and told us that several mailboxes in the area had also been “assaulted” in a similar fashion. We are familiar with that type of vandalism also, but they left our mailbox alone this time and just killed the tree instead.
I know it’s not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. It just rankles that people can be so thoughtless and ill-mannered. And where is the pleasure in breaking a poor helpless tree, or beating up on a defenseless mailbox? Oh well, we are trying to find out if the county will replace this tree or if it will be up to us.
We really don’t live in a bad neighborhood so this kind of senseless vandalism is not a common occurrence. Makes you wonder though what “they” might do next. SIGH! Coulda been worse and the tulips and daffys are about to bloom so life is good.
What a shame. I saw a young tree get bowled over in a campground last year and felt so bad. But at least that was an accident. Crazy that people get enjoyment out of destroying something. :(
ReplyDeleteI'm going to miss my tulips and daffys poping their little heads out of the dirt.
ReplyDeleteThat act of vandalism is something a group of young teenaged boys would do without really thinking what they are doing. "Oh look at me I can break that tree!" Dumb is what it is!
ReplyDeleteBe Safe and Enjoy!
It's about time.
Sorry to hear about the vandalism to your tree, Russ and Donna. :-(
ReplyDeleteIt looks like there are some kids that don't have enough to do. I wonder if anyone in the neighborhood has an outside camera that might have caught them in the act.
ReplyDeleteSimple put, they are malevolent idiots!
ReplyDeleteIn a moment of dumbness, my son smashed several mailboxes one night as a teenager. It cost him becoming an Eagle Scout, and resulted in many hours of community service sorting through garbage. There was no malice involved, just dumbness. :(
ReplyDeleteGREEN grass & blooming things? Really?? Cool!!! Vandalism sucks!!
ReplyDeleteBummer! I thought kids nowadays were so busy texting and playing video games they didn't do stuff like this any more. :c(
ReplyDeleteWe had some of those knuckleheads camped by us recently. They forgot an axe so they tied a rope to live tree limbs and dragged them off with their truck. No excuse for stupidity!
ReplyDeleteMost commenters hit the nail on the head. Male teen-agers!! Throw in some alcohol & stupidity comes alive every time. I know about these things. I was once one of them...............
ReplyDeleteIt has to be bored young kids, probably boys, who do that kind of stupid vandalism. I never did understand that.
ReplyDeleteSenseless idiots..one can only hope that they grow out of it one day.
ReplyDeleteI can't even say anything, since I can't use that kind of language here.
ReplyDeleteStupid! Years ago I planted flowers along the front of our property. Our nearest neighbor was 1/2 mile away. By on means did we live in an area one would expect a lot of foot traffic. Got up one morning to find every plant was pulled out by the roots and thrown into the road. Someone must have really been bored (or po'd at me?)
ReplyDeleteWhat a waste .... hope those kids get on the right track soon.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about the trees, truly senseless. But about those furkids, Ollie and Jewel are adorable. What beautiful faces. So happy they made into your lives!
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is, "Karma." May it visit them soon and often. :)
ReplyDeleteSome people just get off on being jerks! Last night here at the State Park, someone took all the shower heads and faucet knobs!!
ReplyDeleteI’ve lost a few mailboxes over the years. I don’t know what anyone gets out of random acts of vandalism. Having had three kids, I don’t think any of them ever did such things but I don’t really know…not really. I can assure you had I found out that they killed that tree and/or damaged mailboxes, they would have been mowing a lot of lawns and doing odd jobs for the people who suffered at their hands…after their face to face apology. I would have bought new mailboxes and replaced the tree and they would have been paying me back for as long as it took.
ReplyDeleteWhat a shame
ReplyDelete