Just a quick update on our tree vandalism. We called Friends of Trees and they came out the same day. They said the important part of the tree at this point is the root ball and since the tree was already budding out, the root ball was doing well. So they cut the tree off below the break and left a 2’ stub in the ground. Friends of Trees said they will keep an eye on the tree and prune the branches as they start to emerge. These trees grow very fast and the fella said this one would likely catch up to the rest within three years. So we were happy to hear all that good news.
Now our dogs…what can I say except I am so proud of them. Ollie had his issues at first and was so scared of Russ and just about everything else. He has totally made up with Russ, sits on his lap and wants tummy rubs. His other issue was stranger aggression…not really aggression as in mean but he was so afraid that he would just go ballistic if a stranger came anywhere near. It’s not that they were ever abused in any way – they had a family who loved them dearly. Ollie is just a real sensitive soul and was frightened by his new situation. They hadn’t had a chance for a lot of socialization so anything new is a bit scary for Ollie.
We have really been working with them. Jewel loves everyone and only barks when Ollie gets her riled up. We have been taking them everywhere with us, have not left them home alone yet. Lately, when we go to a store we leave them in their crate in the back of the van and leave the back open. One of us stays right with them to make them feel safe and we ply them with treats as they watch strangers walk by. They have learned to be quiet and relaxed, even when someone comes very close. That’s progress.
They met the lawn guy yesterday and Ollie never barked at all during the entire lawn mowing process. They watched out the window and seemed to enjoy watching someone else work. I guess they truly are our kids!!
Today they went to the vet for their introduction and well-check. Both dogs wiggled (no tails to wag!) for the tech and the vet and never made a peep. I had brought a soft muzzle for Ollie but never had to use it. They were even good during their nail trim. Oh, and they got good check-ups except for their weight. We’re working on that!! Yup, our kids!!
We saw some good things on our trip to the lake today. The sun hadn’t yet burned off the clouds and fog and the lake was as calm as glass.
We didn’t actually see the Desert Fox but he must have been here!
The picnic tables are all lined up and waiting for the first picnickers to arrive.
The dogs are really starting to love our trips to the lake. Ollie now has several places that he has marked as his and he knows where they are!
We saw a big raven (I think). It seemed too big to be a crow and it had a huge thick bill.
Then we drove out along the road where the tundra swans land every year during spring migration. There were hundreds of them but there will probably be more before they move on.
Then, just down the road, we got to see the buffaloes. There were three of them in the field but since Russ was stopped in the middle of the road, I had to take a real quick shot and it’s not very good.
While we were watching the buffalo, we heard a loud roar and looked up in time to see this fighter jet approaching the airport. That was pretty cool!
We’re busy making plans for our spring trip. I’m so excited to be making plans to hit the road again. It’s been way too long.
What a wonderful day !!! Soooo glad the pups are feeling right at home !!! Your photos are beautiful .... That certainly is a million dollar area .... The Northwest is such a special part of our country and home for the lucky two of you !!! Always enjoy your sharing, thanks Russ and Donna !
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear of your plans to hit the road again. What great adventures await your new little pups. What is this business about lawn mowing..... It snowed again in Spokane today!!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that the tree can be saved.... what kind of tree is it?
ReplyDeleteHow could the pups not do well with you two to train them? :)
ReplyDeleteLove the early morning lake photo also the tundra swans.
Blessings
I'm glad the dogs are adjusting. Right after I read your blog about getting them, I saw a couple with two dogs that I swear looked just like yours, except they were shaved. I had to look twice at the people to make sure it wasn't you. I didn't think you were in the Keys, but the dogs looked like yours. Of course I had to get a pet from each of them and they were both very sweet.
ReplyDeleteLove the picture of the swans. I've never seen any of them in the wild.
It will be a nice winter break for you all to head out in the rig soon. Especially nice now that Jewel & Ollie will be along for new adventures. Half the fun will be watching the Kids enjoy all the great happenings. Pretty exciting stuff for all.
ReplyDeleteYour love & patience show in Jewell and Ollie's improved behavior and their demonstrations of love for the two of you. What a heartwarming bond. Where will you be traveling? Planning is half the fun--enjoy!
ReplyDeleteWhat neat group the Friends of Trees are. I have never heard of this group. So glad the tree will live and give your street so much beauty.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you were taking a ride through the zoo not along a lake. Buffaloes? Very interesting.
A blog full of great news. How fun. But especially wonderful. that Ollie is beginning to feel so loved and so secure. You guys are just perfect for those pups. We are all looking forward to their further adventures.
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear how well the pups are doing. It sounds like they are training you and Russ quite well.
ReplyDeleteJust after I commented on your blogger problem last night I got the exact same halt. It looks like it was just a temporary issue with one of Google's Blogger servers, probably an update of some kind.
I, too, had a halt on my blog yesterday. Thought -here we go again! But things resolved.
ReplyDeleteThose pooches sure knew where to find a good home.
Blogger has its moods, that's for sure. Good news about the tree, and fabulous news about the dogs and their (Ollie's) adjustment to people.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you found yourselves two great traveling companions!
ReplyDeleteSounds like your new "kids" are settling in nicely. You're going to have some great times together!
ReplyDeleteCandy
(Loved the pics too!)
What a HAPPY post! So nice that all is good in your world. I knew the dogs would work out for you, they couldn't be in a better home with better parents! I'll bet they'll take to Rving quickly, too. :)
ReplyDeleteSo happy to hear you will be hitting the road again.
ReplyDelete